New features in synthesizers?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

New features in synthesizers?

Postby meneedit » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:51 am

Most synthesizers share the same features e.g. Ringmod, FM, Noise, Filters, Pitchbend, etc... but I was just wondering...

how often do they add new impressive features to synths; things that most synths dont have?
meneedit

Postby sacredcow » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:02 am

Check the V-Synth, I'm sure it has a few...
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)
sacredcow

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:55 am

I want a modern synth with a melohman feature.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby MitchK1989 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:17 am

In software you see this quite a lot.

Devine Machine's Krishna, for instance, has a new type of oscillator known as a "frame oscillator" which is like a mix of resynthesis and granular/wavetable stuff.

Virsyn's Poseidon can do some pretty insane resynthesis stuff that nothing else can touch as well.

The ohmforce Melohman feature is pretty neat.

The Symptohm uses a weird type of osc they refer to as "grain-sync".
MitchK1989

Postby Syn303 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am

A destroy all PRESETS button, so i dont have to go thru all them terrible presets they put on synths and make my own from scratch
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Postby Taxidermy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:35 am

Syn303 wrote:A destroy all PRESETS button, so i dont have to go thru all them terrible presets they put on synths and make my own from scratch

Most synths have that hidden in the menu.

Nothing would suck more than meaning to press octave up and realizing that you just erased all your own patches. :shock: :x :oops: :cry:
A destroy all presets button is an awful idea.
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby 23 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Just to list a few things that were either introduced by the synth or were simply rare features:
1. Novation Supernova: Sync Skew, Shadow Sync (each osicallator was it's own master in slave in regard to think), each multitimbral part maintained it's own independent effects, Hardness paramater (yes, this was arguably little more than a Low pass filter of sorts, but it was it's placement within the scheme of things that made it unique)

2. EMU Morpheus: Z-Plane Filters

3. EMU P2500: ROMpler, but of a modular nature that puts things like the Arp 2600 into shame (also contained Z-Plane)
and was the first synth to feature a fully programmable arpregio system that could maintain 16 different appregios at one time. (actually, the arp thing may have come first in the 2000, I'm not sure though)

4. Yamaha FS1R: Formant Synthesis (as far as FM synths go, this thing was a freak of nature)

5. Access Virus TI: Pulse width modulation of ALL standard analogue waveform types available and the first hardware synth to utilize graintables (granted, the Waldorf Q hit into the PWM thing prior to the Virus)

6. Ensoniq Fizmo: First synth to bare a heavy basid on Transwaves

7. V-Synth: this.....is not your average bear. Theres a lot more new features with this than is common for a synth introducing new features to the synth world. The first hardware synth to introduce VA and sampler actions into a TRULY integrated system would be amongst the features though.

8. FutureRetro 777: Odd filter modulation abilities (CV Warp), 42db filter, 2 op FM synthesis capabilities (on an analogue synth)

Anyhow, the Jomox Sunsyn and Resonator Nueronium, the Harttman Neuron, and there's numerous others I'm forgetting I'm sure. Now at the end of the day, most of teh advances have been going on in teh software domain, and that's no surprise, as that's the dominant area of the synth industry. Further I'll agree that the hardware synth industry in general seemed to begin to stagnate for awhile......not really introducing anything new as much as just rehashing old concepts and ideas.
But none the less, there have been developments that have been going on.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:56 pm

23 wrote:7. V-Synth: this.....is not your average bear. Theres a lot more new features with this than is common for a synth introducing new features to the synth world. The first hardware synth to introduce VA and sampler actions into a TRULY integrated system would be amongst the features though.

Plus sideband filters and the ability to route the oscs and cosm modules in three different ways, not to mention ring modding/fming samples with real time audio. A beast it is.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Zonkout » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Taxidermy wrote:
Syn303 wrote:A destroy all PRESETS button, so i dont have to go thru all them terrible presets they put on synths and make my own from scratch

Most synths have that hidden in the menu.

Nothing would suck more than meaning to press octave up and realizing that you just erased all your own patches. :shock: :x :oops: :cry:

Isn't there a synth with a random button that randomly sets all parameters? I'm thinking it is an early 80's digi-poly. DX-7? JX-8P? Something like that. Anybody?
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Postby divineaudio » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:27 pm

Taxidermy wrote:

actually, that would be an awesome idea. i have seen a few with a randomize patch function, (emu command stations, waldorf microwave) but thats about it.

how about a synth with patch memory that comes without ANY presets? force everybody to make their own sounds!
Last edited by divineaudio on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
divineaudio

Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Zonkout wrote:Isn't there a synth with a random button that randomly sets all parameters?

Red Sound Elevata had a patch randomizer, too bad the synth itself sucked :?

I'm sure there must be others.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:48 pm

divineaudio wrote:how about a synth that comes without ANY presets? force everybody to make their own sounds!

Minimoog, Juno 6, pro one, cs-15, cs-10, etc etc etc.

But I agree, it's the way of the future. ;)
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby divineaudio » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
divineaudio wrote:how about a synth that comes without ANY presets? force everybody to make their own sounds!

Minimoog, Juno 6, pro one, cs-15, cs-10, etc etc etc.

But I agree, it's the way of the future. ;)

i mean one with patch memory. :wink:
divineaudio

Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Postby kk994 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:03 pm

The Nord has a button that put the synths to the exact setting of the knobs as oppossed to their preset position... I like it a lot.
kk994

Re: 6yuh

Postby audible » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:57 pm

clamshoe wrote: keys you could move from side to side to get vibrato like a guitar bending strings?

Not keys, but...

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/html/overview/Intro.html

And I recall that there was a synth, not just a controller, that had this finger-shifting-sideways type of control (ie sensors at the sides of the keys), but I can't remember it right now.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.
audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to General Synthesizers