New features in synthesizers?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 am

The solo synth manual on the Yamaha D-85 home organ has the side to side vibrato feature. It works fairly well but it's not exactly a revolution or anything. Then again i'm not a big proponent of aftertouch either. I'm not sure if the sensors on mine need cleaning but you can't use the sideways motion for subtle pitchbend either which is a shame.

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:40 am

I know it's not the theme of the thread...

...but I would like to see a tap-tempo arpeggiator - something that would sync to a beat that wasn't MIDI dependent.
Too futurist to live.

steveman

Re: 6yuh

Post by steveman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:31 pm

audible wrote:
clamshoe wrote: keys you could move from side to side to get vibrato like a guitar bending strings?

Not keys, but...

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/htm ... Intro.html

And I recall that there was a synth, not just a controller, that had this finger-shifting-sideways type of control (ie sensors at the sides of the keys), but I can't remember it right now.
Thought it was just a controller...? Some sort of collaboration between Bob Moog & Kurzweil AFAIR

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Brand new features in synths tend to be pioneered in software these days, Reaktor and the Virsyn synths come to mind.

insky

Post by insky » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:36 pm

kayvon wrote:The solo synth manual on the Yamaha D-85 home organ has the side to side vibrato feature. It works fairly well but it's not exactly a revolution or anything. Then again i'm not a big proponent of aftertouch either. I'm not sure if the sensors on mine need cleaning but you can't use the sideways motion for subtle pitchbend either which is a shame.
On the D-80 you can adjust the amount of pitch bend with a slider. I really liked this on mine. I like it better than regular after touch. THe only wird thing about this is that the whole keybed moves instead of each key.

Also the sensors for this are done optically. There's a piece of metal that moves behind a light that fall on a light dependant resistor.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:29 am

"Isn't there a synth with a random button that randomly sets all parameters? I'm thinking it is an early 80's digi-poly. DX-7? JX-8P? Something like that. Anybody?"

The Waldorf Microwave XTK has a randomize patch feature. I assume at the XT would, maybe the microwave II. I can only attest for the XTK though as I've never played with the others.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 am

t.o.t.s. wrote:"Isn't there a synth with a random button that randomly sets all parameters? I'm thinking it is an early 80's digi-poly. DX-7? JX-8P? Something like that. Anybody?"

The Waldorf Microwave XTK has a randomize patch feature. I assume at the XT would, maybe the microwave II. I can only attest for the XTK though as I've never played with the others.
The Waldorf Pulse and uQ have that randomize feature too. some synths have a software with a randomize feature.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums