DHL to ship synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
furthestreaches

DHL to ship synths?

Post by furthestreaches » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 am

I bought a synth from an eBay seller who apparently prefers to send things either via UPS or DHL. [I say "apparently" b/c he is one of those people who will only respond to 1/2 of your e-mails and addresses maybe 1/3 of your questions].

Now UPS is out of course, but has anyone here had any experience using DHL? It's an old Crumar, so if it gets beat it's likely toast.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:08 am

If he ships UPS, why not just tell him to ship UPS. At least it is a trusted company. I would imagine getting your insurance cash if anything happened while shipping with DHL would be a bloody nightmare.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

furthestreaches

Post by furthestreaches » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:15 am

AudiosEnvy wrote:If he ships UPS, why not just tell him to ship UPS. At least it is a trusted company. I would imagine getting your insurance cash if anything happened while shipping with DHL would be a bloody nightmare.
I used to work for UPS in college - they beat the living sh*t out of everything. And I've heard lots of horror stories on this very board about them.

baschyn
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.

Post by baschyn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 am

People us DHL when it's a weight issue. I've received many expensive items shipped through them. Never had a problem. UPS? We've had claims. USP? Weight issues.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:37 am

I have an online furniture business and use DHL to ship my parcel shipments. I have only had a couple of damaged items over the past couple of years, although I double box with 2" of void fill between boxes. I also prefer to use DHL becasue there is a DHL counter at OfficeMax stores where they also have a MaxPerks reward program for gift cards. I don't know, but I've been told, UPS outsources their claims and are very difficult to deal with.

Regarding synths, I bought a JD-800 earlier this year from an eBay seller and had to ship it back. I used DHL, with no issues. I also recently bought a System 100m from someone who was originally reluctant to ship. I recommended he use DHL, which he did. I love my 100m, which arrived with no issues.

When using any parcel service, be sure the shipper uses plenty of void fill. UPS recommends you use at least 3 inches of voic fill. Edge boards are also useful to strenghen the insides of boxes. Also, avoid shipping expensive/fragile items during the holiday season. Extra help is hired during this time and have limited training and/or don't give a s**t and mishandle packages.

Good luck,
Z

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 am

I've had problems with both but would recommend DHL. UPS were f**k trying to get them to compensate for a guitar they busted via transit. They never did honor the insurance claim depite the fact it left my hands intact and very well packed and ended up smashed at the destination.
Too futurist to live.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:55 am

if u ship UPS, use "The UPS Store" and let them pack it. It will cost a mint (About $55 to pack a keyboard - labor and materials) but its the only chance you have of making a damage claim.

if u pack it yourself, forget it. they will not pay the insured value. i've been through this 3 times with UPS and probably going to go through it a 4th time with an AX-60 I just sold. the buyer got the keyboard and its messed up... big surprise.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:06 am

Honestly, my best experience thus far with claiming from a shipping company has been with USPS. I had an iBook that was damaged in shipping a while back and they replaced with proof of value. Only problem is weight constraints and prices when getting into the heavier registers. They handle the smaller items quite well though in my experience.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

watari banzai

Post by watari banzai » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:35 am

i shipped a tb303 to europe (from the philippines) via DHL, it got there in 3 days no issues...the 303 is light and small though of course...

im about to ship a wavestation a/d to new zealand...DHL i dont anticipate any problems...

in contrast, i had a mini dv camera shipped from pittsburgh to california...it got "lost" :evil: :roll: :x got my money back though...
Cubase SX3, Yamaha RM1X, Kawai Q80 EX, Yamaha A3000 v.2, Yamaha CS-15, Sequential Circuits 6-Trak, Roland SH101, Roland SH2, Casio CZ5000, Yamaha RY20, Deltalab Effectron I, Zoom 1201, Oxygen 8

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:08 am

btw, i was told DHL used to handle USPS international but that its now fedex thats doing it.
UPS - if you have a claim and you know youre in the right, dont give up as they may eventually give in. still, its a horrible tactic to make people beg for compensation for damage they caused.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

sequence

Post by sequence » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:54 am

I use neither :D FedEx has successfully shipped w/o incident over 50 instruments and other fragile parcels Ive either sold privately or eBay'd. Never a problem. :D go FedEx. :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

furthestreaches

Post by furthestreaches » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:33 am

Thanks for the helpful responses.

In sum:
1. Avoid UPS.
2. DHL is slightly risky, but ensure the item is packed well and you're likely to pull thru OK.
3. Use FedEx if possible.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 am

[moving out]
Last edited by Jexus on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 am

dougt wrote:
Jexus wrote:DHL f**k up my Roland even thought it was in soft case and cardboard box filled with sponge.
I still haven't figured out what one must do to accomplish that.
I packed my inflatable sex doll in a box. Anyone want a c**k sucked?
The box was massive. Five times bigger than the synth in the casing itself. With fillings.
What, should they pack the synth into a van and then drive it onto a freightliner and only after then ship it?

Some stupid people used to send me keyboards by the National Postal Service, wrapped solely in paper [!] and they were ok. Hard to believe?
Harder to believe for me is that those guys crushed the JX8p despite the abovementioned packaging.

They need to be frustrated that their job sucks and kick the living s**t out of these parcels intentionally. I bet things like that are done out of spite or just malicious indifference. It could not have happened just like that, all by itself, or the delivery van must have gone through f**k amazonia woods and grand canyon of colorado before it came here. And there was the DHL adhesive tape all over to cover the wear&tears.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:08 pm

Jexus wrote:
dougt wrote:
Jexus wrote:DHL f**k up my Roland even thought it was in soft case and cardboard box filled with sponge.
I still haven't figured out what one must do to accomplish that.
I'm not surprised. That's hardly adequate packing in my book...
The box was massive. Five times bigger than the synth in the casing itself. With fillings.
What, should they pack the synth into a van and then drive it onto a freightliner and only after then ship it?

Some stupid people used to send me keyboards by the National Postal Service, wrapped solely in paper [!] and they were ok. Hard to believe?
Harder to believe for me is that those guys crushed the JX8p despite the abovementioned packaging.

They need to be frustrated that their job sucks and kick the living s**t out of these parcels intentionally. I bet things like that are done out of spite or just malicious indifference. It could not have happened just like that, all by itself, or the delivery van must have gone through f**k amazonia woods and grand canyon of colorado before it came here. And there was the DHL adhesive tape all over to cover the wear&tears.
:lol: :lol: Classic.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]