MFB-502!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gorskytron

MFB-502!

Post by Gorskytron » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:00 am

So what are everyones thoughts on the MFB-502 drum machine? I am interested in this and I would love to hear everyones opinions...especially those who own one.
thanks! :D

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: MFB-502!

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:23 am

Gorskytron wrote:So what are everyones thoughts on the MFB-502 drum machine? I am interested in this and I would love to hear everyones opinions...especially those who own one.
thanks! :D

Well, i just purchased one on Monday, but sadly its going to take a week to get here, so as of yet I have no real personal opinion.
I know i was seduced by several facts...

1. Fully programmable analog drum machine(72 storable patterns, 8 songs)
2. Has tuning and decay on all of the instruments
3. Has MIDI
4. Has individual outs for the bass drum, snare drum, hihat, and cymbals
5.Features an analog bongo

I can't wait to get mine!
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:33 am

It's tiny. You could fit it in a coat pocket. It does need a regular wallwart. I keep thinking I should wire together a battery pack somehow. The sounds are adjustable with tiny pots but the range is kind of narrow. That's the main thing that bothers me, you can adjust the sound a little but not very far. You can't program the tweaks, but that was kind of expected. It definitely sounds more primitive in terms of analog sounds than X0X type sounds. It almost reminds me of Soviet drum machine sounds.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:15 am

ndkent wrote:It's tiny. You could fit it in a coat pocket. It does need a regular wallwart. I keep thinking I should wire together a battery pack somehow. The sounds are adjustable with tiny pots but the range is kind of narrow. That's the main thing that bothers me, you can adjust the sound a little but not very far. You can't program the tweaks, but that was kind of expected. It definitely sounds more primitive in terms of analog sounds than X0X type sounds. It almost reminds me of Soviet drum machine sounds.
Maybe there are some pots inside the machine that can increase the range of the tuning?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:47 pm

premieklovn wrote:
ndkent wrote:It's tiny. You could fit it in a coat pocket. It does need a regular wallwart. I keep thinking I should wire together a battery pack somehow. The sounds are adjustable with tiny pots but the range is kind of narrow. That's the main thing that bothers me, you can adjust the sound a little but not very far. You can't program the tweaks, but that was kind of expected. It definitely sounds more primitive in terms of analog sounds than X0X type sounds. It almost reminds me of Soviet drum machine sounds.
Maybe there are some pots inside the machine that can increase the range of the tuning?
Regrettably no, its pretty packed in there and without a schematic it would kinda difficult to track what is what (lots of SMD). I like the gritty analog sounds a lot and the fact that there are two tune settings (lo and hi) for the Kick, snare, bongo, and toms (which actually have 3) in addition to the tune control give the instruments enough range that I dont think addition mods are necessary

One thing I would add is that the stereo out is annoying so what I would do (and I did) is just to make a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS cable
Last edited by Altitude on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Great price, great size, but I'm not a fan of it's sound... however if you are, then there is no reason not to have one. Myself, I'm waiting for the MFB-503!!!

Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:18 pm

I've only heard demos of the 502 and I thought they sounded quite good. I don't see why they didn't just make the thing a tad bigger and put normal sized knobs and 1/4 outputs on it. It probably wouldn't have cost much at all to do and they could probably have charged double. I know I would pay $499 for an all analog drum machine, with midi, good controls and a built in sequencer.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:55 pm

supermel74 wrote:I've only heard demos of the 502 and I thought they sounded quite good. I don't see why they didn't just make the thing a tad bigger and put normal sized knobs and 1/4 outputs on it. It probably wouldn't have cost much at all to do and they could probably have charged double. I know I would pay $499 for an all analog drum machine, with midi, good controls and a built in sequencer.
Well, I think that is what the MFB-503 is going to be...

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:18 pm

JSRockit wrote:
supermel74 wrote:I've only heard demos of the 502 and I thought they sounded quite good. I don't see why they didn't just make the thing a tad bigger and put normal sized knobs and 1/4 outputs on it. It probably wouldn't have cost much at all to do and they could probably have charged double. I know I would pay $499 for an all analog drum machine, with midi, good controls and a built in sequencer.
Yeah. I'd like to hear some audio demos of that.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:02 pm

supermel74 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
In due time.

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Post by derma_tek » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:24 am

supermel74 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
i found this on the mfb forum

http://greenempire.hypnotix.de/download/mfb/503.mp3

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:13 am

that sounds cool..and nicely priced!
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:18 pm

derma_tek wrote:
supermel74 wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Well, I think that is what the MFB-503 is going to be...
i found this on the mfb forum

http://greenempire.hypnotix.de/download/mfb/503.mp3
I'd buy that for a dollar...
Do you even post on vse bro?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Well, to me...it sounds better than the 502. More TR than CR this time around.

altemark

Post by altemark » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm

More samples, less analog though ... compared to the 502...

the MFB-512 has some of the most characterful samples of those kinds of machines though, definately useful and still not 909-samples