Synths and the internet and negative GAS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Synths and the internet and negative GAS

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:46 pm

A perenial topic I guess. But I'm just noting personally.......

I spend far too much time lusting after the virtual stuff on the internet - the R3 for instance. I certainly don't need one. ( HEh but I sure want it!)

What I do need to do is - need less money, so i can work less and have more time for playing synth
- focus on the beautiful instruments I have - like the Nova desktop that I'm still getting to grips with.

I'm having to really try to take control on my whole synth obsession, so that I can create the music i want to. And also think wisely on what the really interesting and useful gear is. Such as the Indian tabla drum machines I'v seen (ah! on the internet).

Its too easy to just get lost in lust for a new synth and forget the passion to try and create something wonderful - to focus my energy on developing my skills with the amazing gear I'v got and imaging new music with it.

Yeah well a common problem - time=money/new synths v time=room to create
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:00 pm

GAS is why I'm spending $2000 on a modular system now instead of paying down mortgages a bit, or saving money for later, like any sensible person would do.
It's a disease. It's not that i NEED a modular synth, I just WANT one. I can't even afford it so I'm paying half now and the rest on downpayments for god knows how long. It hasn't arrived yet because they were waiting for front panels for one of the modules from the factory.

I don't even bother to tell my friends about it, they'll just think I'm insane. "Another synth? WHY?"
Last edited by Bitexion on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stalla
Gear: CS80, CP70, Eminent U310 and more...

Post by stalla » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Don't bother, have fun !
In a synthetic mood

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:32 pm

When I'm in the GAS mindset I just think of what J M Jarre did with a handful of synths, an organ and an 8 track!

I was looking after an Xpander, MS20 and an Oscar for a few weeks while a mate was redecorating and I didn't turn them on once! :shock: Mad I know but these days I figure its best to spend what little time I have mastering the equipment I already own.

tom Cadillac

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:42 pm

Yeah - I think mastery is a key word. Synths are really complex instruments. I want to get the full potential out of the ones I have (which once were the object of such heated GAS!), and now are all mine to explore in depth. Its the real excitement - what sound can I achieve? It also takes time to master the manual and the menus etc... Its a cliche, but presets are for the preset mind - synthesis only happens with an indepth understanding of each synths potential. And as I expand the range of sound, so do my ears and musical intelligence along with the sound.........

God! that sounds a bit intense! I guess I need this kind of self righteous/self mastery to stop myself accumulating yet more synths, - and then having to leave them at hiome, while i come to work to pay for them.
Last edited by tom Cadillac on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm

Three rules:

1. Do I want it?
2. Have I the room for it?
3. Can I afford it?

If you can answer 'yes' to rule 3, then the other two are just a technicality. :wink:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:20 am

4. Can I pawn my parents?
5. Can I borrow money from the bank (at 20% interest) to afford it?
6. Can I pay half now and the rest on downpayments at 50% interest?

If any of the above, buy buy buy.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:23 am

7. Do I really need to eat this month?
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:43 am

i was thinking the SAME EXACT THING!!!!!!!!!! in fact i just came from ebay lol i'm all.. "man, it sure would be neat to have a cs 01.. " but why , when i have a roland sh 1000.. or "mmm.. a source would be cool..." but i've got an ody in perfect working order .. pretty funny, but true.
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:59 am

Being a synth addict is like being a drug addict. You start doing completely weird prioritizing to afford that fat synth you saw in an ad. Instead of doing sensible things like saving money on a saving account, or buy that microwave oven you really need, or setting off money to pay rent with, or pay down some mortgages.

Nope, blow it all on the fattest synth you can find instead. Then live with the shame.

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:11 am

Before I sold off everything I had, my friends used to ask me why my studio had all these machines but still made so little recordings. Two of my friends are also musicians (guitar & drums) but don't recognize the GAS syndrome from their "group" of musicians. So I guess it's something that's unique for us.
I hate that syndrome...a freaking luxury/ spoiled brat syndrome. "Me wants me wants!!!!" "Now me has it but now me wants something else!!!" It's like a drug addiction! (synth-shopaholic! :lol: )

This says it all...

I wasn't creative with my collection and decided to get rid of it all to start focusing on composing with minimal equipment instead of buying a massive equipment for fun. Now I'm free of GAS and I have three great synths that are pretty different from each other. This forces me to use my machines to their limits. It's great! And I've started to record and compose for real again. :)

I say - if lack of creativity isn't a problem, you have the money and can take your time to play everything you own - then have a blast!

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:19 am

sorry to ask a stupid question.. um.. what's GAS?...
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:20 am

Jayman: It means Gear Acquisition Syndrome. A common term for what happens when you can't stop wanting new gear no matter how much you got.

Yeah right, as if GAS doesn't affect all types of musicians! Guitarists I know always want THAT juicy stratocaster or telecaster, bassists want THAT new gibson.
Pianists too, even, they're always on the look for a deeper, warmer, better sound no matter if their current Grand Piano costs $100,000.

And drummers, they have the same syndrome people who own modular synthesizers have. They always want new bits for their massive drum kit. An extra tom here, an extra bling here, and extra cymbal there vs an extra oscillator here, an extra envelope there, an extra filter there, until one day he looks at the WALL-SIZED modular synth with 22 VCO's, 30 LFO and 30 EGs and say "HEEEELP MEEEEE I CAN'T STOP!!!!"

I also get that "Why don't you record any music with all that gear?"..I really don't know. I just have to have it.
I was appalled when I realized how much cymbals cost to replace, and how frequently they crack and get useless.

tom Cadillac

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:37 am

Though I agree all musicians can suffer from GAS, I think its only synth players that call their collection of instruments a studio. A flock of birds, a herd of cows, a studio of synths.........well synths tend to be big and techy, so it kind of looks like a real working music studio.

Its like we think with our eyes and not our ears or brain.

I'm not recording anything at the moment, so I can't talk. But at least I'm playing live and rehearsing, partly so the singer, I'm playing for can return the favour one day and sing my lyrics.

I think GAS as an addictive thing is a quick fulfillment. Like the one click bid/buy in the (brilliant) cartoon. Its not a thinking/planning process. Whereas long term music projects are. What gear do I need to make the sounds I hear in my head? I'm not being moral - I just don't want my GAS to get in the way of my musical ambitions. Which also involves being able to cut the wasted hours at work.

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:38 am

Soundwave wrote:When I'm in the GAS mindset I just think of what J M Jarre did with a handful of synths, an organ and an 8 track!

I was looking after an Xpander, MS20 and an Oscar for a few weeks while a mate was redecorating and I didn't turn them on once! :shock: Mad I know but these days I figure its best to spend what little time I have mastering the equipment I already own.
Very wise words dude that I wish I could follow. Not boasting but recently money has been comming my way. Consequently I have been able to buy quite a lot of kit in the space of about 1 year. A nice piece comes in..... the last piece bought goes to the back of the queue before I have really had a chance to get in deep. May sound strange but sometimes I envy folk with minimum setups for this very reason. But what can I do? GAS is a decease you know for which there is no known cure. :lol: