Synths and the internet and negative GAS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:44 am

i had guessed the gear and syndrome part, it was the a that i wasn't sure if it stood for addiction. yeah i have that.. in the form of a closet full of casios .
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 am

clueless wrote:
Soundwave wrote:When I'm in the GAS mindset I just think of what J M Jarre did with a handful of synths, an organ and an 8 track!

I was looking after an Xpander, MS20 and an Oscar for a few weeks while a mate was redecorating and I didn't turn them on once! :shock: Mad I know but these days I figure its best to spend what little time I have mastering the equipment I already own.
Very wise words dude that I wish I could follow. Not boasting but recently money has been comming my way. Consequently I have been able to buy quite a lot of kit in the space of about 1 year. A nice piece comes in..... the last piece bought goes to the back of the queue before I have really had a chance to get in deep. May sound strange but sometimes I envy folk with minimum setups for this very reason. But what can I do? GAS is a decease you know for which there is no known cure. :lol:
sorry for the double post, but yes there is a cure .. it's called marriage...
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:57 am

jayman wrote:
clueless wrote:
Soundwave wrote:When I'm in the GAS mindset I just think of what J M Jarre did with a handful of synths, an organ and an 8 track!

I was looking after an Xpander, MS20 and an Oscar for a few weeks while a mate was redecorating and I didn't turn them on once! :shock: Mad I know but these days I figure its best to spend what little time I have mastering the equipment I already own.
Very wise words dude that I wish I could follow. Not boasting but recently money has been comming my way. Consequently I have been able to buy quite a lot of kit in the space of about 1 year. A nice piece comes in..... the last piece bought goes to the back of the queue before I have really had a chance to get in deep. May sound strange but sometimes I envy folk with minimum setups for this very reason. But what can I do? GAS is a decease you know for which there is no known cure. :lol:
Marriage! I already have that piece dude. :lol: After 15 years the pots get a bit crackly and you can't tweak them as often as you would like to. (Oooh... matron!) Plus I'm bored of the sound it makes. Even if it is vintage analog. :D

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:07 am

Wish you could replace with one of those hot, new analogues eh? It won't break in at least 25 more years either.

jayman

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:08 am

uh.. still i imagine the analog version still out performs the digital .. (pun intended)

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:47 am

12 steps of synthead anonymous

1) We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction to synths and that our 'studios' had become full.
2) We came to believe that a muse greater than ourselves could restore us to musical productiivity.
3) We made a decision to turn our wills and lives (and wallets) over to the care of the muse of synthesis (as we understand her).
4) We made a searching and fearless inventory of our synths.
5) We admitted to our muse, to ourselves and to VSE the exact excess of our synths.
6) We were entirely ready to sell all unused ghear.
7) We hunmbly asked our muse to let us keep all the synths that we needed to follow her.
8) We made a list of all the synths we had neglected to use and were willing to sell them.
9) We made efforts to fully understand and use each synth that we play.
10) we continued to keep a loving inventory of our synths and when we were drawn to the devil EBAY promptly admitted it.
11) We sought through playing and programming to improve our synth abillities and to follow our musical path of synthesis.
12) Having had a musical awakening as a result of these steps we tried to record or perform our music for others.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:59 am

GAS is a terrible thing for those who actually want to make music.. at least for some people. I noticed that the more gear I acquired, the less music I produced.

I'm pretty content with the gear pile I have now (although my studio is in pieces right now with everything out for service) but I'm still GAS'ing over a few things I really don't need.

I think we all do ourselves a great disservice by lusting over gear and making youtube videos for each other that just further that lust :lol:

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:55 am

GAS can change your priorities a lot. I live in the desert and drive a crappy car without air conditioning, continuing to buy synths instead of fixing the AC

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Here it comes.......

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:26 am

StepLogik wrote:GAS is a terrible thing for those who actually want to make music.. at least for some people. I noticed that the more gear I acquired, the less music I produced.

I'm pretty content with the gear pile I have now (although my studio is in pieces right now with everything out for service) but I'm still GAS'ing over a few things I really don't need.

I think we all do ourselves a great disservice by lusting over gear and making youtube videos for each other that just further that lust :lol:
You own a JazzMutant Lemur!?! That's a USEFUL piece. Seriously, I am considering one, what do you use yours for?

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:14 pm

I've lost my synth GAS and swapped it with... Recording equipment GAS. Spending long hours online gazing at pictures of Urei 1176s...
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Here it comes.......

Post by StepLogik » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:39 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
StepLogik wrote:GAS is a terrible thing for those who actually want to make music.. at least for some people. I noticed that the more gear I acquired, the less music I produced.

You own a JazzMutant Lemur!?! That's a USEFUL piece. Seriously, I am considering one, what do you use yours for?
mostly as a front-end for custom sequencer/arpeggiator programs i've written with vbscript/midi-ox and soundquest infinity.

send me a PM if you want more info - don't want to derail this thread.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 pm

jayman wrote:yes there is a cure .. it's called marriage...
I think that depends on who you marry and/or if you have enough cohones not to let your spouse run your life. I've been married for over ten years and I have more stuff than I've ever had.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:38 pm

The true cure for GAS is a letter of acceptance from the most expensive univeristy in Canada... I'm screwed financially...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:59 pm

jayman wrote:
clueless wrote:

Marriage or the other 'M' word mortgage. :roll:

I had a little GAS over an Evolver and Q a while back but I figured well I can pretty much get the sounds I would want out of it from the Pulse+, AN1X, FM7 or Arturia which I really need to use more anyway.

I think it a case of choosing your equipment wisely so each bit of kit covers its own ground individually or has an increased usefulness when used with other equipment. I also don’t tend to get any hardware that isn’t useful in a live/jamming scenario without needing a PC as the softsynths I own are more extensive in the sound department than most hardware synths anyway so the UI or an intuitive on board sequencer is of primary importance for any considered hardware i.e a hardware synth/module is only worth the knobs it has.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:07 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:The true cure for GAS is a letter of acceptance from the most expensive univeristy in Canada... I'm screwed financially...
Getting hosed by Dal?
virb.com/ookpikk