Oberheim and The Police?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby lemmonn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

elsongs wrote:
lemmonn wrote:I know that they had and used a synclavier because the band nearly broke up arguing over whether a synclavier or a jupiter-8 was better...It may not have been a jup-8 actually....

No no no, that was during the 1986 "Don't Stand So Close to me '86" recording sessions when the pro-Synclavier Sting had a Mac vs PC-like battle against the pro-Fairlight Stewart Copeland over which uber-expensive sampling recording system was superior.. Andy Summers was complaining the other two acted like children.

Aaaah...I knew it was something along those lines...
microKORG,69' Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennesean Gentleman,Danelectro Hodad,Fender Strat,Ibanez Artwood,Johnson Resonator,BC Rich Warlock,Epiphone Mandolin random japanese accordion...
lemmonn

Postby MrFrodo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 am

I've wanted to believe for a while that at least one Synchronicity track, "O My God" included some sweeping sounds from an OB instrument. Also, what did they use on "Wrapped Around Your Finger?"
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo

Postby tim gueguen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 am

"O My God" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger" both have a lot of Roland GR300 guitar synth on them. I'm not sure there's any keyboard synth on either.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound
tim gueguen

Postby etcetera » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:11 pm

I thought that andy summers was big into one of the roland guitar synths, like the gr 700?

Absolutely. He definitely used the blue Roland guitar synth. I think it appears on several songs on Zenyatta Mondatta.
etcetera

Re: Oberheim and The Police?

Postby Pro5 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Loads of photos of sting/the police with a Prophet 10 (so prophet 5 bascially). They used that more than anything up until the last two albums.
Currently using (rating/10): SH2(9.5), JX-3P(9), Prophet 6(9), JD-800(8.5), Crumar Performer(?)
Recently gone:Polysix(8), Prophet Rev2(6.5), Slim Phatty(7), JD-XA(7.5), Sub 37 (7), Juno 106(6.5), DX7 II-D(6), V-Synth(6.5)
Pro5

Gear: Prophet 6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers