DSI MEK = modern Pro One?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bob-omb

DSI MEK = modern Pro One?

Post by Bob-omb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 am

I recently sold off my Korg MS20 because it wasn't what I needed at all. Now I need a replacement...something that works good in ambient, sweeping music as well as plain "Kraftwerky" stuff. I've always loved the Pro One but I'm not into buying an old fart again. My Moog LP has really made me comfortable with midi and memory. :) But I still want an analog synth.

But then I came to think about DSI MEK. Isn't this baby suppose to be a modern Pro One with extra features? I love the looks of it and the demos that I've heard. But is this thing really that analog? I don't want to be a b***h here...but we are talking about a decent amount of money (at least for me). I just want to be sure what I put my money on. Is it just the 2 VCO:s (or is it DCO?) and VCF:s that's analog?

Also if you have a MEK - how's the construction? Have you compared it to a Pro One and if so - can it do decent Pro One sounds? Digital noise? Digital stepping?

Sadly I have to travel a bit to be able to try one. I can't do this for some time because of my job. :(

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:33 am

I love mine. Sounds more digital than analog....and I like it that way. Construction quality is about a thousand times better than the Pro-One.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:37 am

I second Mr. Pighood :D MEK is awesome, still after a year. there are sounds on this baby one can get minus oscillators, d or otherwise. and the customer service is a good cut above the rest of the mess :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:32 am

Damn, I really want to try it out myself now. :) Thanks for your answers! 3 LFO:s 3 ADSR, sequencer, delay and analog circuits really got me interested. :)

I think the digital stuff is cool but I would also be able to make it sound like an analog if I use the VCO:s only. Have you experienced any digital stepping in the filter?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:18 am

thats 4 LFO's bomby!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 am

According to Dave Smith himself, it doesn't emulate any old synths. The analog oscillators are not the same, the filter is different. It is a synth on its own, not an imitator.
He doesn't like to repeat the past.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:41 am

to answer the thread question, no. the evolver engine is really a different beast. i've said it many times, my PEK is my least analog-sounding analog synth. feature-wise, it really pushes digital processing (especially distortion) as as normal a part of patch creation as a lowpass filter.

cool synth, but they are different enough to warrant you buying both of them, which is what i recommend.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:00 am

I'd go for the Pro One. I like the MEK, but the Pro One sounds better.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:28 am

Mostly everything I've heard from the evolvers were clips making nasty distorted sounds..very little actual playing with pure analog patches.
Even when Dave Smith show it off, he just makes those ugly sounds with it.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:10 am

Bitexion wrote:According to Dave Smith himself, it doesn't emulate any old synths. The analog oscillators are not the same, the filter is different. It is a synth on its own, not an imitator.
He doesn't like to repeat the past.
actually, the filter is an old CEM design i believe. i really disliked it at first because i was hoping for something that was pretty much like a Prophet 5, but after programming a few hundred patches, it is really fantastic, very tight and punchy. it has a character all of its own, which is refreshing since i already own a flock of analog and digital synths.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 am

Bitexion wrote:Mostly everything I've heard from the evolvers were clips making nasty distorted sounds..very little actual playing with pure analog patches.
Perfectly capable of it, though. Allow me to wheel out my Evolver demos for the nth time... ;)

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~creech/mp3/ ... kshite.mp3
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~creech/mp3/ ... r-bass.mp3
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~creech/mp3/ ... r-tune.mp3
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~creech/mp3/ ... enburg.mp3

As for my own experiences, I've had my Evolver for about 2 years now, and it's far more than 'just' a noise machine. Yes, you can completely destroy the sound if you want, but this doesn't lessen its abilities as a highly expressive musical instrument. Remember, you can tie aftertouch to practically any parameter you like (such as cutoff freq, volume, etc), which can give you some very expressive leads.

I've tried out a Pro One with the intention of buying it, and to be honest, the sound hitting my ears kept me thinking 'the Evolver can do this'. Very similar in tone, but of course the Evolver can do a lot more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 am

Ah, I'll just head over to that link and check them all out later, then. Of course I expect it to do good analog sounds since it is half analog, but none of the official demos show that side, so thanks :)

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Very nice clips Clubbedtodeath! There were sounds in those that sounded pretty analog and warm to me. :) Some users have said that it can do warm analog sounds if you turn of distortion capabilities and the digital VCO:s. Sadly, as Bitexion already has pointed out, not many demos give any example of this. :(
I really like the idea with a synth that can go from typical analog sounds to totally messed up sounds. But I don't want to pay that much money for something that sounds like monophonic VA. But from what I've heard this synth has got a special character and that is important to me.

Yeah, a real Pro One would have been nice. But I'd rather pay that amount of money for a brand new analog than for something old. Right now my Moog LP and Jupiter 4 give me all the analog sounds I need. Maybe it's time for something that still sounds warm and analog but has got something extra. :)

Damn, I WANT TO TRY THE MEK NOW!! Maybe I can get my boss to order one for me at work. :P :lol:

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

aaa

Post by haricots » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm

I have a desktop Evolver and a Pro One. With regards to the digital processing on the Evolver, I never use it. The distortion, hacks and feedback do not sound good to my ears. Everything else about it I love however. It can be very analogue and very digital which makes it a very versatile synth. I don't think it sounds like a Pro One however. The Pro One is much rawer and sloppy.

Bob-omb

Re: aaa

Post by Bob-omb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:18 pm

haricots wrote:I don't think it sounds like a Pro One however. The Pro One is much rawer and sloppy.
I guess that the Pro One does sound a little bit more "fat" (sorry, didn't mean to use a cliché) than the MEK since it's all analog. I've heard some sounds from the MEK that reminds me of the Pro One but it lacks that wet character that only a real analog has.

I will probably never use the distortion/feedback functions. Never use the "overload" button on my Moog LP either since I like soft sounds ala Vangelis and Jarre.