Casio PG380 synth guitar

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Casio PG380 synth guitar

Post by gmeredith » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 am

I just got one of these recently after lusting for one for nearly 20 years when I first saw them in 1988. It's great, so much better tracking than the Roland's of the time. Anyone else got one? Any mp3 examples of use? I had to replace the capacitors in it when I first got it, to fix the common dead string trigger problems these seem to get over time, but now it goes really good! I'm now looking to get a RAM card for it to store my own sounds, then I'm going to start gigging live with it.

Cheers, Graham

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:55 pm

An interesting product from CASIO professional brand.
The synth section seems to be compatible with VZ series.

gmeredith

Post by gmeredith » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Yes, in fact, PG owners often own a VZ, for easy making of their own sounds, as the PG doesn't have any editing functions on board. You make your own patches on the VZ, dump it to a RAM card, then put the card in the guitar, and away you go.

On a related note, since the RAM cards are quite hard to come by, I'm in the process of making up my own DIY RAM cards for the VZ/PG. It is really quite simple, and costs about $20 in parts.

Cheers, Graham

altemark

Post by altemark » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:56 pm

That sounds wonderful Graham! Keep us posted!

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 pm

Looks great! I had a Casio MG-510 MIDI controller guitar (same thing, but no onboard synth) I loved it, and it tracked really well.

Is that a floyd rose tremelo on the guitar pictured?

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:01 pm

gmeredith wrote: On a related note, since the RAM cards are quite hard to come by, I'm in the process of making up my own DIY RAM cards for the VZ/PG. It is really quite simple, and costs about $20 in parts.

Cheers, Graham
Those wouldn't be anything like the RA cards for CZs would they? How do you go about DIYing these? Just buy one and copy it?
so what do I put down here now?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:47 pm

The firsmusician who successfully taught me to play Jazz was equipped with one of those synth guitars. He used it to drive a Kawai K1. I really loved that configuration. That was back in '96, when I was onlyjust beginning to learn some of the finer points about synths.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

gmeredith

Post by gmeredith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 am

Dustin:

Yes, it comes standard with a Gotoh floyd rose licenced copy, with locking nuts. I've heard of some people ripping it out and putting in a standard fender type trem, people either hate floyd roses or love them. I personally love it! I think some of the reason people hate them is that they've never had them set up properly in the first place - you have to spend time with it initially when you put new strings on. But once you do it, they're great. I can't imagine only being able to bend DOWN using it with a synth sound - how many normal synths will only allow you to bend down? Just 'aint right!

Tyler:

Very similar to the RA CZ cards. In fact, DIY CZ cards and cartridges have already been done. You can find the plans here:

http://www.jz-server.de/forum/e107_plug ... ic.php?454

Just click on the blue "Image disabled" writing on the page, it will open a pdf on the construction plans.

Mr Frodo:

A lot of jazz players seem to have these guitars, such as Stanley Jordan. I wonder what it is about it that lends itself to that style. It really is a great guitar even without the synth; lots of guitarists are buying them and ripping out the synth part, just for the guitar :evil:

Cheers, Graham