**** The dirtiest bass sound thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

**** The dirtiest bass sound thread

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Evening chaps and chapesses,

Think you can do a mean-sounding bass? Then let's hear it.

The rules are:
- Only one synth
- One external effect
- No multitrack recording
- You must tell us with what and more important, how you made your bass

After all the basslines are collected, they'll be rated on the basis of how many 'whoah' and 'awesome!' comments they get.

I'll start off. Here's my Korg MS-20 -- seemingly not reknowned for bass duties -- going through a bit of external overdrive. The internal patch is a detuned sawtooth, with a bit of pink noise fed in via the external signal processor. I play a bit with the cutoff knobs, and resonance.

Korg MS-20 overdriven bass (mp3)

Ladies and gentlemen, let the basses begin!

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 pm

That's a nasty MS20 you got there!

Here's my contribution:
Jupiter 4 in unison mode. Naturally overdriven by VCA. A simple saw + subosc sound. Not a bass riff but you can clearly hear a m¤"!#¤fQ#¤ mean bass there. No external effects as far as I can remember. There may be a touch of reverb but I can't recall.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 pm

Nice, gentlemen, or should I say nasty!!

Sticking with Jupiters, here's some bass from my Jupiter 6, a synth also generally not viewed upon as a 'bass machine', in comparison to it's siblings. It's not as 'ballsy' as the Jupiter 4, but it's throwing everything it has at you in unison with a little spread on the detune.

VCO 1 is outputting a Triangle, Sawtooth and Pulse wave simultaneously
VCO 2 is outputting a Triangle, Sawtooth and Square wave simultaneously

No resonance, filter a third open and a standard 'bass' envelope but with maximum sustain.

I've also opted for no effects.

http://media.putfile.com/Jupiter-6-Bass
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Don't know about bass, but this sure is mean. There really is little match for the Polivoks in regards to the rest of my other synths - it has the devil filter. No distortion needed - the resonant filter takes care of that.

The patch is just two square waves (an octave apart and slightly detuned) through a resonant low pass filter. Cut off frequency is manipulated and the filter is switched to band pass mode afterwards.

Here is the link. External delay was used - that's it. Unfortunately, thanks to grounding problems, my Polivoks is a bit sick right now.

This should be fun - can't wait to hear some more results.

acmesoundlab

Post by acmesoundlab » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Some "nice" dirty sounds gentlemen. This is the bass track extracted from something I recently put up in the Listening Lounge. Little Phatty straight into protools, with I think a touch of reverb. Sort of my standard bass sound, a pair of pulse waves, one narrower than the other, synced together. Of course a large helping of the Phatty's overload control, combined with some mod wheel manipulation, I think with osc 2 as both the source and destination. I'm also pumping a cv pedal into the filter in at the same time.

http://members.aol.com/acmesoundlab/DPbass.mp3

This is the little jam it's extracted from-

http://members.aol.com/acmesoundlab/Dir ... iness2.mp3
Last edited by acmesoundlab on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CTB

Post by CTB » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:51 pm

Great stuff here, Gents. Things are rattling seriously in the ol' house. Angus, your sound completely reminds me of the noise guitar on "Go!" by Tones On Tail.
CTB

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 am

Dirtiest bass. You all should be ashamed.
Too futurist to live.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:55 am

http://studentsites.expression.edu/~ssm ... onbass.mp3

This is my Ion; I put a very steep filter at around 10kHz in Logic.
-2 saw waves an octave apart
-both oscs routed 100% to filter 1
-filter 1 routed 100% to filter 2, with only filter 2 audible
-filter 1 is an ARP lowpass, nearly closed with about 75% resonace and 100% envelope
-filter 2 is an Oberheim lowpass at about 5.5kHz, 15% resonance with no envelope or keytracking
-amp and filter envelopes are similar; instant on, longish release
-four voice unison with generous detuning
-no distortion or effects

I couldn't resist having some fun and a bit of a challenge, so here's my best attempt at nasty bass with my Sequential Prelude, and I'll try to explain a little for whoever's interested (there are no external effects of any sort)-- http://studentsites.expression.edu/~ssm ... debass.mp3

-Brass and Organ sections are active
-EQ is on, and set to more or less of a negative high shelf shape, with dry/wet mix at about half (frankly, I would have preferred a normal filter, even a shallow one, but...meh)
-Transposed down an octave
-Chorus and LFO on
-Chorus and flange are pretty intense, at about 6 and 4.5 respectively (of 7)
-LFO speed is a little above 6, depth at full, with no delay. The LFO, somewhat surprisingly, goes well into audible range--that's where most of what passes for distortion comes from
-In the brass section, Brass 1 and 2 are both on; attack is at about 4.5; cutoff is pretty low, and I played with a little at the end; swell (sort of a secondary attack stage) and resonance (a fixed value, but pretty pleasantly nasally) are on
-In the organ section, Pipe is off, Organ 1 and 2 are on
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Hosni

EMX

Post by Hosni » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 am

Here's mine:
http://media.putfile.com/Mean-bass-with-the-Korg-EMX

That's using the EMXs' unison osc with 6xSaws (detuned by 26).
HPF with tweaked resonance and cutoff.
LFO controlling the filters cutoff with a sawtooth waveform. the LFO rate is synced to the tempo and it's tweaked along with the LFO depth.
The glide is set to 50%.
The filter drive is 100% and there's some of the EMXs' tube gain for the additional "warmth".
and theres a slight delay effect (internal because I dont have any external effects).

Yeah, that's about it. :)

-HarriL
Last edited by Hosni on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korg EMX & ESX, Novation KS, Quasimidi 309, FR Revolution, DSI Evolver
My EMX videos

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:28 am

you should really collect samples and have people vote on 'em before we know what they are! then it's really about the sound!

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 am

Ok...

Thought I'd try something different, because of all the analogue / VA work going on here...

Afraid it's a bit of a boring sequence, but: Here's my dirty bass!

I did it with the LatelyBass preset on my Yamaha TX81z, run through a DOD Death Metal Pedal.

Maybe less fluid than some of the others, but it's pretty nasty, nonetheless! :evil:

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 am

Great topic! I'm really enjoying this. Here's my contribution:

TVS-MinSeq

This is from the Two-Voice. Not the best recording. It's just one SEM and the Mini-Sequencer. The MiniSeq is controlling the pitch/gate and filter. The filter is random, the pitch is not. I actually can't remember the patch setting. I'm pretty sure it was two squares hard synced with lowpass filter sent to the S/H. When I got the Two-Voice, I didn't think I would get much use out of the MiniSeq. I was so wrong. It's only 8 steps but the S/H is very flexible.

I didn't do anything other than increase the level by 2 db. The SEM was overdriven at it's level control before the master volume. My mistake. I guess it could be dirt, right? Depending on the sound, it's not hard to do at 50% volume. Though, I did have an op amp go out on oscillator 1 soon after this was recorded...

No effects.

konvert

Post by konvert » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 am

Krewl sounds!

Here's old one-shot from SY-35 with no external processing:
http://www.konvert.net/demos/SY-35/Digiresobass.mp3
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

REwire

Post by REwire » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:28 am

Here's the raw Macbeth M5 (3 Oscs - 2 saws, Pulse and some Filter OD), no FX but it's built in Reverb.

http://Rewire.12inch.com/Audio/Demos/Macbeth_Bass.mp3

I think it unfair to include an outboard effect, as any bass can be dirty with a distortion box. I'd like to hear the natural raw sound of other synths doing hard stuff.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 am

Eh... bugger. I'd crack out the ASM-2 but I'm in the middle of a studio overhaul.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11