**** The dirtiest bass sound thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hades
Gear: XV88,JX10,Juno60/A6/Fizmo/KStation
/Matrix1000/K5000/
Xbase888/TB303/Fireworx/H8000fw/
NI Komplete/Omni/Live Suite 8/MacbookPro/Midas/Focal Twins

Post by Hades » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

memedesigner wrote:Had to do a second take as the entries this far are so competitive in their nastiness&dirtiness that mere off-the-shelf dirty bass would have no chance.

This 60 sec piece is Mini through Space Echo, it's pretty inconsequential what waveforms -- but 3rd oscillator is sine so that at least some recognizable pitch would get through, and there's some noise to spice it up a bit.

Both instruments feedback themselves, with Mini that produces the 'tone' of the bass patch, and with Space Echo its feedback provides that lower volume backbeat bass, it's feedback only.

http://metabole.org/audio/watchyourears.mp3
nice work !

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Is it cool to have another go? 8-[

http://www.mediafire.com/?50dgyypzoxd

Arturia Moog Modular, all 9 VCO mixed together with soft clip > 12db LPF> 24db LPF > bode shifter > x2 VCA with soft clip > stacked x5 voice mono unison then through a PSP vintage warmer cranked up with CPU level peaking at 76% on one patch!

45 VCO's at once! :twisted:
Last edited by Soundwave on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks Hades!

The putfile.com is a drag, I've never got it to work (ie cant hear anything on the site), went on their FAQ which says 'Mac users must use the latest OSX, Internet Explorer,'. Nope. No IE on this machine, its a weird requirement.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:34 am

memedesigner wrote:Thanks Hades!

The putfile.com is a drag, I've never got it to work (ie cant hear anything on the site), went on their FAQ which says 'Mac users must use the latest OSX, Internet Explorer,'. Nope. No IE on this machine, its a weird requirement.
Oh. That's why it I couldn't get it to work either.

Any opinions on my bass?
so what do I put down here now?

kokoon

Post by kokoon » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:28 pm

me too me too :D

midibox SID (8580) + EQ
Click here to watch filthy-bass-1 (yousendit)

just two channels of an ancient parametric EQ cross-fed back to themselves
Click here to watch filthy-bass-2 (yousendit)

juno 106 (with onboard chorus)
Click here to watch filthy-bass-3 (yousendit)

if i have the time i'll make polysix and poly-800 (moogslayer) lines too :)

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Soundwave wrote:Is it cool to have another go? 8-[

Arturia Moog Modular, all 9 VCO mixed together with soft clip > 12db LPF> 24db LPF > bode shifter > x2 VCA with soft clip > stacked x5 voice mono unison then through a PSP vintage warmer cranked up with CPU level peaking at 76% on one patch!

45 VCO's at once! :twisted:
Damn! That's...corpulent... :shock:
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Amos

Here's mine

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 pm

I was looking for this thread... I did an experiment in extreme dirty bass last night using my Moog LP and Voyager, and I am really happy with how it came out. I have no subwoofer in my home system, so on a real rig this might be completely excessive. Of course, that's the point.

This is an 8-minute sketch of which only the first few minutes are "arranged" as such - there will probably be a melody and other noises as this is the bones of a ripping track in my estimation. Have a listen and enjoy the low end... let me know what you think! :cool:

Somasen - Concrete-Breaking Bass Power v1
Last edited by Amos on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:30 pm

I think this is a good idea for a post, but by allowing even 1 effect, you are really opening up any avenue for bass mangling (mainly distortion), regardless of the synth. I think there should be a seperate thread for pure bass power.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:01 pm

hmm, good point. Well I can certainly post a loop of the tracks from my "concrete-breaking bass power" track without effects - mostly all that was added was compression and a bit of EQ, as the Phatty already has filter distortion on-board. :twisted: It's actually fatter as a dry signal, just doesn't sit in the mix as nicely.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:19 pm

www.myspace.com/elmosexwhistle

check out the track *nine boot* on my page at myspace, it has a very dirty sid/commodore 64 like bassline which came from the brilliant *and free!* unknown64 vst plugin :) x

yburn

Asbos in Love

Post by yburn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Here's mine.

http://media.putfile.com/ASBOs-in-Love

It's an MEK, Lfo+Tuned Feedback+Noise+Flt Frq modding. Bit of Powercore Rev.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:25 am

so what do I put down here now?

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 pm

It's about time I join the thread...

Need a shower... (Nord Modular G2)

It is just two bass patches, a dirty pad and some sampled 909 rhythms. No reverb, no delays...

The first sound is a two oscillator(sawtooth) bassline based on a "diy-filter" of mine. It is a 4 pole filter(24db) where the two first are overdriven(12db) and only the first three are feedbacked(18db). Afterwards it is put through a waveshaper(wrapper) to create some more overtones and finally put through a stereo high/low frequency separated saturation stage.

The second bass (the deeper one) is based on one oscillator(triangle) that is amplitude-sliced in 8 positive and 8 negative bands that are individually levelled for massive waveshaping. It is also put through a smooth wavewrapper to add crispiness and a compressor to tame the waveshaper output a bit.

The sequences are not as interesting...

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:24 pm

That was a pretty compelling sales pitch for the G2 (great, there's some more GAS I don't need :(), or perhaps modular style synthesis in general. Made me realize that, with software, I tend to take a modular approach to bass construction with FX because I can instantiate so many of them for a single patch. I usually start with a low sine sort of sample and progressively add harmonics and squareness via layers of overdrive and phasing/flanging.

Example 1 (LOUD) - started as a double bass sample. More overdriven than usual since I was going for what it sounds like inside of a bipolar person's head.

Example 2 - The bass at the beginning which, sadly, gets covered up by everything else due to poor mixing. The FX chain for this is nearly as complicated as your G2 examples. Started from a synth sound that was nearly a pure sine wave.
Last edited by Entropy Farmer on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:55 am

enthropyfarmer: Those two link to the same file