MOTU Midi Time Piece II - uses??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

MOTU Midi Time Piece II - uses??

Postby mildsilverbird » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:39 am

The other day I came across a used MOTU Midi Time Piece II rack for a good price.

I have a couple of synths and a drum machine, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use this thing for, if anything?? I looked up the new version on the MOTU website but I still don't understand exactly what practical uses it has.

Any suggestions appreciated...
mildsilverbird

Re: MOTU Midi Time Piece II - uses??

Postby crystalmsc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:13 am

a Midi Express XT user here, and I remember that several years ago, the MTP II is a very desirable and pricey unit!

To put it simple, those are some kind of a Mixer/Patchbay for midi data. To send or receive midi data from and to the specific unit. I remember having some windows driver problem, may be because MOTU are more of a Mac dude rather than windows. I can't really recommend the MPT II for being used with current computer, remembering that MOTU is no longer supporting the driver. Not to mention that it still using the old serial/printer port. I hardly suggest to opt for the USB interface if you are using a newer PC. But if you are using the older mac/pc and ready for some un-foolproof start up, then it's worth it. It was very pricey before due to it's networkability (which mostly have problems), SMPTE timecode facilities, reads and writes most time code formats and it's flexible front panel to do on board editing.

Other than the PC usage, it is still very usefull for most midi application, such merging serveral midi gears, doing sequencing with a hardware sequencer or simply as a midi through box. If it's really cheap, just get it..it's a reliable and solid midi interface and can be a good additional port for the USB based midi set up.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby hearttimes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm

be careful, the II is only serial, not usb. however it can be used as a networked addtion to a motu timepiece av to add an extra 8 in/outs but the av has the usb.

the II is solid and great other than that
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

aaa

Postby haricots » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

I have a modern PC and only use the parallel version of the Midi Timepiece AV. It works flawlessly (no Windows driver issues) and actually better than other USB MIDI devices that I've used in the past. I picked it up for $30 I think.
haricots

Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Postby zukskywalker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:32 pm

MOTU Timepiece II has been a solid unit for my "midiotic" rig. It's basically an 8x8 midi mixer, any input can be routed to any combination of ouputs, routable by input number and/or by midi channel. It's basically really straightforward, with a few nice features like setup recalls and globals.
My only problem is that I cannot find the manual. It doesn't seem to be available for sale anywhere.
Anybody got any leads on a manual for the MOTU Timepiece II?
Please??
zukskywalker

Postby zukskywalker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:34 pm

MOTU Timepiece II has been a solid unit for my "midiotic" rig. It's basically an 8x8 midi mixer, any input can be routed to any combination of ouputs, routable by input number and/or by midi channel. It's basically really straightforward, with a few nice features like setup recalls and globals.
My only problem is that I cannot find the manual. It doesn't seem to be available for sale anywhere.
Anybody got any leads on a manual for the MOTU Timepiece II?
Please??
zukskywalker

Postby hearttimes » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:10 am

if you can get motu to give you an av manual, for the post part the settings are the same
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Postby zukskywalker » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:20 am

Many thanks hearttimes. Never considered that. Heading over to MOTU now.
zukskywalker

Postby asleg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:40 am

Can the Moru timepiece 2 be used without having a pc?
asleg

Postby zukskywalker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm

A line out of Monty Python comes to mind here, but yes you can run it standalone without a PC.
zukskywalker

Postby part12studios » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 pm

a MTP AV x2 (networked) user here. I own two of them (not the ii versions.. av) but still yes I have one usb version and then a serial version.. networking together they show up in USB as 16in/16out.. which is pretty awesome. That said of course you can also get this with two non networked usb devices, but if you got that one for a good enough price (like i did when i got my first one which was a serial version)

Also the AV and i think yours too can be stand alone which is awesome. The idea of being able to route any in / out / merge is powerful stuff.. h**l the Midi Solution 4 in / 1 out runs $100 or so on ebay new.. and that's just 4 in / 1 out.. this thing can be multiple in / out mergers of any combination..

NOTE NOTE NOTE.. do not buy any old PS/2 network cable. most of them will not work.. i searched long and hard to find this cable and found one on ebay.. be very careful and maybe even ask the seller if they know for sure.. but something like this i think is what you need.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Din-Minidi ... SwCmZZQVGG

I bought 2 so i had a spare. i tried splicing one myself with a non-crossover one but that was bad.. i can't remember the thread i had but yea crossover serial cable is important.. don't by the $80 one on ebay from Australia.. heh. I'm not sure if it's still out there but yea.. it was out there for ages.. an official MTP cable..
part12studios

Postby asleg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:58 am

Hi!

I have just gotten my hands on a MOTU Midi Time Piece II to clean up a long and complex daisy chain with mergers and through boxes.

Running Mac OS X 10.10+ on my computers I guess there might be an issue with configuring the Motu timepiece that way. I got hold of a Midi timepiece AV manual which give me some information, and I have managed to route cable and channel.

I have my "Midi In 1" routed by cable routing to "Out 2", and by channel routing I have routed the "Midi In 1 Ch 6" to "Midi Out 3 Ch 6". This works.

But here I seem to reach a limit. How can I add an extra routing?
My challenge is that I want "Midi In 1" to be routed to "Midi Out 2,3 and 4" (or even more). Is this possible?
And if so, (with my set up)how?

Any tip or hint highly appreciated!

Thanks! :)
asleg

Postby Drumdoty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:59 am

Hi, I just acquired a Midi Time Piece and Midi Time Piece II. Does anyone know what the value of these units is?
Drumdoty

Postby knolan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 pm

I have one USB one and one serial one (bought cheap last year) but I have been so far unsuccessful in trying to find a cable to network the two. they need an old Apple-talk cable - and I simply can't find one, even on ebay.

If anyone knows a source for the correct cable to network the two, I'd be very grateful for a pointer to it.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sonousrecords » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Knolan, here is a link that may be helpfull. How to make the cable you are looking for.

http://www.gweep.net/~prefect/eng/mtp2/
sonousrecords

Next

Return to General Synthesizers