have synth - will travel

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
adsr

have synth - will travel

Post by adsr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:09 am

so my job takes me around the USA. a lot. i am away from my studio for, sometimes, a couple of weeks, and i always eventually find myself needing a "fix". i would love to hear recommendations on hardware that is very portable. it does not need a sequencer, as i have my laptop with me when i travel. what it must have is keys...something to trigger sound. i have a m-audio O2 portable controller to use with reason (on the laptop), but i would really like something that i can program outside the PC (my entire synth setup at home isnt connected to the PC or mac at all). it would need to be with my carry-on bags i take on the plane.

i know the simple answer is to just take the O2 along and stick with reason, but i know someone may come up with something interesting i may have overlooked in the hardware department. thanks.
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:13 am

I think a novation x-station, xiosynth, or something would work well for you, probably.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:38 am

oooh... how about a qy 70? :lol: :lol: .. i had one, thinking that that's what i'd do..
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: have synth - will travel

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:52 am

adsr wrote:what it must have is keys...something to trigger sound.

i would really like something that i can program outside the PC
if you like to "program" it, I believe some nice user interface is needed. so, I agree with above suggestion to go with the X-station. with that, you can leave the O2 at home and control reason with that while having a nice hardware synth with great keys and controller function. you can also monitor your reason from that, so leave the soundcard at home too :wink: it even have some nice multifx to toy around with your softsynth. mind you that it's not the smallest to carry..if you don't really need such interface, the Xio will do most of the X job, ligther and much smaller to carry. look also for the microkorg for it's small size and cool sounds even that one loose the X user interface and most interfacing function.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 pm

I'll have to agree with one of the Novations, as well. I haven't got much for comparison, but I love the KS4, and the X-Station is supposedly built on that concept. Between the synth engine and the keyboard, that gets my vote. I'm actually considering the X-Station 25 for my mobile ops. That and a couple of mics, and I'd say you can do almost anything.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 pm

sell all your gear and go for a monomachine :)

...or a spectralis.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

psiapir

Post by psiapir » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:03 am

hehe.. finally that thread :D

When I was studying in UK, I was desperate to get a keyboard... But since I knew I'd be going back to my homeland, it had to comply with several restrictions:
- it had to fit in my luggage, thus 49-keys max.. less keys wouldn't work, as I like to play
- a standalone synth-engine desired... as I didn't want to confine to software only.. and kinda more inclined on subtractive than PCM based..
- rather light as for a synth..
- reasonably priced (heh, student budget, aye? :D)

and there you go...

always loved the sound of alpha juno... quite light as for a synth... the 1 has 49-keys.. (it apparently 'was tailored' to fit in my luggage.. perfectly).. and prices are quite ok

and so it is still with me.. survived postal service, survived airport service... now, gimme that armageddon magic toys :twisted:
Roland Alpha Juno 1 | Roland Super JX + pg800