Those cheap General midi casio keyboards

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Those cheap General midi casio keyboards

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Anybody have any experience with using these as midi contollers? I figure if I'm fork over some cash for a light weight midi controller I might as well get something that features casio cheeze-core sounds that I can violate via the audio in on my ea1 :twisted: ? Also what the h**l does general midi mean, is it any different then the midi featured on professional gear?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm

General MIDI is just a stanardization of sounds so that a song produced on one instrument would easily translate on another instruments. For example, patch 001 is piano and so forth and all drum kit sounds have same note numbers (BD: 36, SD: 38, etc). I don't have any GM machines, so I can't give you any more examples. I think Roland started it with their Sound Canvas module and Korg soon followed with their 90's gear and no the consumer electonics like Casio have adopted it. I think modern computer sound cards use it, too.

Z

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:20 pm

A cheap midi controller wouild likely give you more midi features ..control changes etc, but if you're only triggering notes, then the Casio would be fine I would think.

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:30 am

A cheap casio will probably have less Velocity Sensitivity resolution. Maybe only 8 states or 16 instead of 127.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:39 am

For the price of a new piece of c**p midi controller you can have a decent used VA or something if you look hard enough. Try the Yamaha CS1X for example. They go for around 150 bucks which is around the price of one of those crappidy c**p controllers, but you get a much nicer keyboard (the whole point of the game) and thousands of sound possibilities as a bonus.

Edit: I forgot to mention that with the CS1X you even get control knobs that you can assign to your softsynths or modules or whatever.
Monkey business since 2007!

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:19 am

The first thing I ever used as a midi controller was a Yamaha PSR-225. It's similar to a Casio, and it worked fine. In fact I still have it and use it now and then as a second controller. I use my Yamaha YS200 for my main midi controller as I like its Pitch and Mod wheels.

Sure, a dedicated midi controllers would be better, especially the newer ones, but if you already have the Casio, it will work fine. Not sure if your Casio has this, but go to the menu and look for: Midi>Local>Off. This will make it only work as a controller and not make its own sounds.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Sexor wrote:Try the Yamaha CS1X for example. They go for around 150 bucks
great choice, it can even go lower than that and looks almost like the AN1x :)
nuketifromorbit wrote:I might as well get something that features casio cheeze-core sounds that I can violate via the audio in on my ea1 :twisted: ? Also what the h**l does general midi mean, is it any different then the midi featured on professional gear?
no worries, you can pull those kind of sounds out of the CS1x, in fact some people even get the CS1x for some early (cheezy) rompler sounds. it even has an XG standard which is like a development of GM by Yamaha. check out some nice review and demoshere.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't planning on paying more than 50 for one of these, I'd figured I'd just snag one off scambay or a local pawn shop.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Info on General MIDI here.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:41 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:I wasn't planning on paying more than 50 for one of these, I'd figured I'd just snag one off scambay or a local pawn shop.
with some luck, sometime the CS1x is sold for around that price..actually there's one on ebay right now, just one day left and still $37, just hope that the seller didn't see this thread :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Just a quick note on these types of consumer keyboards: I've tired using one as a midi controller and it'll play the notes no problem, but I was seriously annoyed by 2 issues:

1 - If it's General midi - it will most likely only send control changes for general midi sounds - so if you're not using a general midi module, you won't be able to change patches acurately from the control panel on the keyboard
2 - Most of these are fixed on a set octave range, and don't have an octave up/down switching mechanism - so you're stuck in the range of the keyboard - which usually is middle to high range - without access to low bass notes.

Alternately, a $100 m-audio keystation will elminate both of these issues.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Thanks everyone, I think I'll avoid purchasing one.