Alesis A6 Andromeda, Now where did that come from?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Now where did that come from?

Post by otto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm

shaft9000 wrote:dorky "styling"
You're not alone. Actually I'm always surprised when people say it's a good looking synth. Not that it's hideous... just meh..

My interest in the Andromeda has been increasing lately. It seems capable of covering a lot of ground and from the demos I’ve listened to, can get pretty lush. From the demos I’ve heard it tends to have a bit cleaner flavor of lushness ala OBX as opposed to the thick grittiness of a vintage prophet. I'm still wishing they weren't so buggy.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 pm

otto wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:dorky "styling"
From the demos I’ve heard it tends to have a bit cleaner flavor of lushness ala OBX as opposed to the thick grittiness of a vintage prophet. I'm still wishing they weren't so buggy.
Not that I can compare them tho either of those, but whatever it is, it does not sound like a VA or "plastic" as some have stated...

And I think the bugs aren't really a deal breaker if you're considering one. They apply to very specific functions...

In the end, despite how much I wanted it to be my uber-synth, I just found mine to be actually TOO damn analog... I never really felt like it got totally in tune (phasing was always different on each voice), and the oscillators themselves really warble all over the place (even more than my 30yo synths!). Maybe this was intentional, but it was very annoying once I noticed it.... No one else seems to be able to hear it tho, so if you can't, then I guess it's not a problem. :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Interesting.

The Andromeda is a very mixed review synth. People are all over the map with this thing. Maybe I’ll have to stop trying to find THE single analog poly and just realize I’m going to have to have at least a couple…

I remember that 123abc-synth guy said that every Andromeda he’d seen had messed up tuning. Maybe you’re talking about the same issue. It doesn’t sound like an issue as obvious as yours would have been intentional.

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:46 pm

otto wrote:Maybe I’ll have to stop trying to find THE single analog poly and just realize I’m going to have to have at least a couple…
Why maybe? Sounds an awesome plan to me... :mrgreen:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Rusty O'Hara wrote:
otto wrote:Maybe I’ll have to stop trying to find THE single analog poly and just realize I’m going to have to have at least a couple…
Why maybe? Sounds an awesome plan to me... :mrgreen:
I don't like having a bunch of synths. I don't collect.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Otto, seriously, i wouldn't let much of the "bug scares" get to you, unless you're expecting some end-all be-all, which it surely is not..
Compared to other synths over the years it is not any more frustrating to use...there's just a few things that make me say "meh" and like anything, it's not perfect. Even the greatest synths have their problems. You know, for some a cherry early Minimoog D is the apex, I guess, for others it's too limited and/or just plain old and useless.
A6 is an oustanding acheivement and certain classic imho. Vintage hoarder/resuscitator/programmer-extraordinaire Don Solaris says get 'em NOW, while they're a steal (and the dollar still counts for something). I agree.

I wouldn't buy any expensive instrument without playing it personally 1st . By all means go try out the prospective A6 in person - or buy ONLY from someone who's rep you are able to have high confidence in. Preferably both.
The A6 is a very unusual synth in a lot of ways. It reminds me of Prophet sometimes, a memorymoog other times, OB-X/Matrix/Expander in several ways...a Jupiter slightly, CS-80 not really other than the ribbon.
But it's really so much different than anything else.
It's "signature sound" if it has any in particular, i suppose would be a fizzy/sizzly saw wave warbling continuously (esp. w/ bkgrnd tuning OFF) thru dual analog "chip" filters. i emphasise "chip" filter since the 24dB LPF is no Moog ladder, and the OB filter, while closer to CEM-based Matrix in some ways, is just a great filter with it's own character - the way the res overdrives and how it brings it's own particular flavor of emphasis. Mixing (and modulating) the 3 modes simultaneously is wonderful stuff.
Sounds freaking beautiful next to Juno6 'cause Juno is so simple, well-mannered, purposeful and direct - while A6 is complex, mysterious and a bit ghostly, or fuzzy as h**l and angry. It would be space-out city w/ a Polysix....and makes the most incredible pads I've ever done when layered w/ V-Synth...and sounds real nice going through quality outboard, especially something w/ some stereo spread.

As you may already know - 90% of the presets are really, REALLY lame. Probably the lamest of any synth considering what it can really do :shock:

It's also easy to make it sound like s**t since most 'classic' synth sounds are very simple in comparison to the A6 architecture, so it's easy to just pile stuff on and ruin it. BUT...intuition is often rewarded on the A6! The manual is a freaking Biggie-size Bible but it's only needed for the occasional reference. Begs you to program it for months on end. I've made over 6 dozen patches so far that run the gamut fairly wide - i use patches mostly as 'starting points' not the end-sound...much quicker to be happy with a sound and move on than my old Supernova2 board, by far.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 am

In a moment of weakness I bought something else that is kinda a good compromise synth IMHO. I guess the andromeda will have to wait.

Play the Andromeda in person in Utah? You must be joking. If I only bought synths I had the opportunity to play somewhere local I would have only ever owned a microkorg, micron and little phatty...

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:42 pm

I think some of the comments here describing the sound of the Andromeda have been the best I've ever read.
It has a sound of it's own which is difficult(at least for me)to describe, so, many are left trying to raise comparisons with the great vintage synths of the past. It is a black/white synth, you either love it's sound or think it's not worth the hype, nothing will change that over time, that's why I think many people are disappointed and flip them because they are expecting a Jup 8, Memorymoog, Obie or Prophet type sound. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Every time I put my headphones on, let her warm up and hit a pad I am amazed by it's fullness and power, there is something truly organic about it's sound. I can play the same preset each time I fire it up and they have life. I think at least for me that's why I've sold so many synths, you get the same snapshot sound performed perfectly every time you play. I repeat the Andromeda sound is not for every one.

otto, I think you are suffering from the Andromeda mystique, the same thing many of us have fallen into, it's like the siren's call, beckoning us like lonely sailors on a restless sea :wink: . For years I always had the Andromeda in the back of my mind as one I wanted to have in my studio, a modern 16voice poly analog synth, but I always passed on it. Once you've got the bug, there is only one way....you have to to buy one and finally put it to rest...you will either fall in love and want to marry it :love4: or wake up in the morning and look at the synth laying next to you and yell out loud..DAMN BEER GOGGLES!!! :lol:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 pm

This post is only to remember that here:

A6 patch archive

you'll find some user patches... so... be kind and share your A6 patches...

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 am

shaft9000 wrote: quirks: chord memory non-functional (says somethinglike:"Will be added in OS update"), filter tracking knobs only access positive values regardless of offset, S&H does not work correctly as a mod source, PWM is finicky.
Install the latest OS!!!

NOW.
shaft9000 wrote: DISLIKES - hideous green display & font, no voice panning, arp doesn't latch in-sync properly, sequencer doesn't latch at ALL unless you use a footswitch, OSC mixer distorts much too readily - particularly considering there is an additional distortion circuit already, dorky "styling"
It HAS voice panning. It even have a knob for it, and a mod button!
Oscs distort, I use each osc no higher than 25% each with the Moog filter, and no higher than 5% each with the Oberheim filter unless I want it to distort which is really pleasant.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:36 pm

shaft9000 wrote: It's "signature sound" if it has any in particular, i suppose would be a fizzy/sizzly saw wave warbling continuously (esp. w/ bkgrnd tuning OFF)
So I'm not the only one who hears this? All the waves do it, not just the saw... I don't know if I'd call that a "signature sound"... more like an inherent flaw... or an intentional one meant to make the thing sound more "analog" (which is does!). I replicated this warbling perfectly on my Xpander by modulating the oscs with a low level "random" LFO.... :roll: :?
seamonkey wrote: Every time I put my headphones on, let her warm up and hit a pad I am amazed by it's fullness and power, there is something truly organic about it's sound. I can play the same preset each time I fire it up and they have life. I think at least for me that's why I've sold so many synths, you get the same snapshot sound performed perfectly every time you play. I repeat the Andromeda sound is not for every one.
I would imagine it's due to the above... It would result in really irregular phasing on each voice... But again, I guess it's only an issue if you're someone who notices it (which unfortunately includes me!). If that's the case, then you are right: the sound is not for everyone.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Does anyone know if the A6 is still in production?

Can't find new ones anywhere!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-A6-Andromeda ... dZViewItem
This is where I got mine.
Yes, they are still in production, in a sense. It's my understanding they don't manufacture them all year long but at a certain time of year, perhaps in lots of 50 or 100.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 pm

seamonkey wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-A6-Andromeda ... dZViewItem
This is where I got mine.
Yes, they are still in production, in a sense. It's my understanding they don't manufacture them all year long but at a certain time of year, perhaps in lots of 50 or 100.

8)