Novation K Station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dano

Post by Dano » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:41 pm

the first question is, does th OS matters on this synth?
IMO you should definitely load the latest OS, 2.1.01. There are several improvements/additions. Two that aren't mentioned in the documentation are that there are now 16 different osc. phase start positions. The filter overdrive was also improved (per Oli at Focusrite/Novation).

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Re: Novation K Station

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:But although it is bought, i'd like to hear what this forum thinks about the KS, in order to get more excited for the arrival :D
I've got a KS4 that I'm rebuilding and from my experience so far, I think Novation makes some great stuff. I am actually considering one of the 25 key units they make as a new addition to my studio - something I can take places with ease. I've been looking at the K or X-Station.

Anyhow, one of the things I do to get pumped about gear on the way is to download the manual and start learning the unit before it arrives (if I haven't already done so to decide on the purchase). Then I can't wait to check out whatever features I've learned more about.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:11 pm

Actually the K and the A have selectable 12/24 db/oct filters. The sound is pretty distinctly different between the two.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:06 am

Thank you for the answers, and yeah i've already studied the manual and heard all the web samples, i believe it's going to fit just fine with my other stuff. The only drawback i'm concerned is the clicks and pops this thing is supposed to make.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:21 pm

I just picked up a KS4 and was worried about the same exact thing. I haven't experienced any clicks what so ever. A bit of ghost editing but a load-up of the newest OS cleared that up almost completely. Other than that, I don't thin kyou should worry too much. Just sit back and tweak the s**t out of it. It's a great sounding synth with a shitload of character.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:41 pm

I've got it!!! it arrived yesterday. Haven't got much time tweaking but i heard it and i like it, no problem with the clicks and pops, but when the sound, any sound is finishing it makes a noise, almost not audible. but it is there, i believe it's normal.

The liquid sound. It exists, i've heard it yesterday. I think that the origin of this sound is the filter.

I'll tweak it tonight and give you my full opinion later.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Last night i tweak the K and here is my opinion:

1.- Nice sound generation and filter, can make pretty good sounds from very soft to very raw, all type (for a VA with no samples). Not really, really analog sounding, but the famous liquid sound is yummy.
2.- Snappy envelopes, but when you want to make a sound with slow attack it can't.
3.- Good layout, nice sliders, nice keyboard and wheels.
4.- Some good presets, some other just puke. It seems that the presets were all design for dance music, it seems the keyboard for Faithless (don't get me wrong, i like Faithless).
5.- The clicks and pops when you change the presets: not a great deal, i can live with it.
6.- Has bugs, i don't like it, sometimes you are tweaking one sound and when you change the preset the tweaked knobs remain in the new preset. e.g. you are using a bass and turn on the arp, change the preset for a pad and the pad keeps arping. This bug seldom just seldom. Other bug: if you are using the arp with other clock source and by chance you move the arp knob it will do funny things, its a bug but i liked it, funny things, casual, almost like a real analog.
7.- The construction is sturdy, is a very good looking synth, although i wish it was 2 and a half octaves.
8.- The arp is average, like some much more the microkorg's arp.
9.- Still don't if it is a keeper.
mis psiquicos y yo

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 pm

Yeah, I like the Kstation alot, but it has clear flaws. My friend's does some ghost-tweaking, and the sustain and release sliders broke off. They have to be tweaked with toothpicks.
so what do I put down here now?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:34 am

I recently had the opportunity to go for either a KS rack or Nova. I decided to buy the Nova. Great sounds and it's built like a tank!
Stephen(2)

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm

very good appregiator and creating LFO fx too IMO.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:53 pm

AudiosEnvy wrote:I just picked up a KS4 and was worried about the same exact thing. I haven't experienced any clicks what so ever. A bit of ghost editing but a load-up of the newest OS cleared that up almost completely.
Exactly, the last OS kills most of the bugs - they fixed the same kinds of issues on the A-station as well.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm

k station -- great choice. it's the poor man's poor man synth. but oh so easy to use. it's almost teaches you how to manipulate sounds. it was the first synth i programmed patches on, and i still use it to this day when i need to dial up a sound quickly. it has a certain character that i think works when you mix it in right.

-geoffrey smallsynth