Korg M1 or Roland D-50. Which has better keyboard

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
PPG_HOSHII!

Korg M1 or Roland D-50. Which has better keyboard

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:18 pm

I currently have a Korg M1, but I was wondering if the Roland D-50 has a better feeling keyboard. The M1 just feels so stiff and weird to me, though I love the sounds it can make. Since both units are in rackmount form, I could go either way. If anybody has played with both keyboards, which has a better overall feel?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:19 am

I like the D-50 keyboard alot. It's is very soft and "spongy", very like the Juno keyboards. Great for playing organ as you can drag your finger up and down without ruining your fingers. They do have a problem with aftertouch going bad though, mine needs an elephant's touch to get a MIDI value of 127 on many keys. It's a problem with all the late 80's roland synths apparently and can easily be fixed.

Both synths have similar sound engines, where you combine short PCM samples with analog type waveforms and filters and envelopes.
But the M1 reputedly has better and more interesting waveforms. I dunno, I love my D-50. It can do amazingly "analog" sounds but also totally digital stuff you couldn't dream up on an analog.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:51 am

The M1 has a sequencer both in the keyboard and rack versions (I think). If you're seeking multitimbrality, consider getting some version of the M1. Consider the D-50 keyboard if you like that better and the M1 module.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 am

Hello,

I preferred the tactile feedback of Korg's M and T-series. It has more resistance, without being overly snappy.
Also, the D-50 and M1 had quite different engines (and sounds). The D-50 was an eight-bit machine with a raw sample sound much closer to
Ensoniq's ESQ than the more higher fidelity sound of later romplers. Because it has four osc per voice in patch mode (with each tone fed through it's own chorus unit), it sounds more lush and does ambient 'airy' stuff. The M1 is a 16-bit machine and has a more punchy higher fi sample resolution and higher quality effects processors. The two are actually pretty complimentary pieces and many people at the time used them together. Among those who used the two prominently were George Duke, on Clarke/Duke Project III.
Also, guitarist Larry Carlton's 87 "Solid Ground" release with Alan Pasqua and Terry Trotter featured on keys, has combinations of these two boards on pretty much all the tracks.

Regards,

Lawrence

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:34 am

I think the feel of a keyboard is a matter of personal taste. I prefer Roland's weighted keyboards, seem to be very smooth.

Z

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:26 am

I won't call the D-50 keys are a better feeling than the M1 keys, but I like it "unique" spongy feels, specially the way if feel to the internal engine. To me the D-50 is one of the most playable board and I'm glad to own the keyboard version.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 am

i love the D50 keyboard it's a little bit shallow but has a nice weighty feel to it it can take a pounding for a synth action it can acually keep my fingers in shape when away from a complete weighted action if i play a yamaha synth type action i always feel like i'm gonna break the key's.i don't think the D 50 sounds Lo fi at all it has sleek glossy sound with a sheen high end to it regardless of it's spec's the M1 sounds more lo fi then the D50 not from a realisim standpoint but overall sound quality i think D50 sound's better.

gs

Post by gs » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 pm

I don't have a D50 and never played one, but I own an M1 and a JD800. The JD800 I understand is similar in architecture (LA Synthesis) to the D50, or something from the D series, and many ppl have commented that the two synths sound similar, so I'll go by that....

In any case, I find the Roland very glossy and clinical sounding, while the Korg sounds (to my ears) slightly warmer, and has better "realism" sounds (not by today's standards, mind you, but better realism than anything else at the time). The Roland certainly has a more robust synth engine but very limited samples stored in memory. The Korg gives you lots of good samples of world instruments and stuff which the Roland lacks, but you don't have as robust a synth engine, and no resonance. The Korg is chock full of more full-blown samples, while the Roland mainly uses small samples as attack transients, the rest being single-cycle waveforms.

As for keybeds, the M1 has a Yamaha keybed in there, very similar to the action on a DX7. Good solid springy action, but not too springy. Its solid construction is very inspiring to play on. The Roland has a somewhat softer, spongier action, but it too is easy to play and feels pretty solid.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

PPG_HOSHII!

yeah,

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:52 am

Seems like every few months or so, I get interested by the D-50, because I hear it on so many odd ball albums from '87-'88.
I may eventually get the rack mount version in the distant future, but for now, maybe I'll just pick up some Voice Crystal cards for my M1. Those sound impressive and some sounds are very D-50 like.

By the way, some guy is selling a mint condition D-50 on ebay if anybodies interested, It isn't me.
I was interested in the auction because it was so local, but the price is getting really f**k trendy, as roland gear tends to do these days. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-D-50-Synthes ... dZViewItem

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:48 am

My three cents, if you prefer a performance keyboard that doesn't hurt your fingers when playing "The flight of the bumble bee", that's D-50 for ya- easy going, soft, but also requires more punch to get full velocity. M1 (as any other Yamaha keyboard, for that matter :-p), is bulky, resistant, but very precise in expression.

Tek

Post by Tek » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:46 pm

M1 for playing percussive sounds (from other synths or modules) including piano.
D50 for everything else including its own internal sounds.
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.