Geddy Goes Phatty Live!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequence

Geddy Goes Phatty Live!

Post by sequence » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 pm

According to a poster at the Moog forum, Geddy Lee is toting along a LP Stage for their current Snakes and Arrows tour. I have to wait until Aug 8 for thier Red Rocks show to see and hear it; evidently he wanted to recreate realistic analog for Tom Sawyer and other old Moog-laden older Rush songs. Too cool! (He also has brought out his old Rickenbacker 4001 bass for a couple songs as well).

Go retro geddy!! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

CTB

Post by CTB » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Voila!

Still looking for pics of the Ric live. My friend texted me from the show saying that he had broken out the Ric live.
CTB

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:25 pm

I can see why Geddy wants that. They've used samples of all their old synth sounds in a Roland XV-5080 on the last tours. It's not as fun playing with a ROMpler as it is to sit down and reprogram the old sounds I guess.

Artists are embracing this little synth alot.
I saw a live recording of The Klaxons, they had 2 LPs on stage next to each other, and two people playing them at the same time.

Jordan Rudess has one in the studio footage from the recording of Dream Theaters last album.
I'm betting Rick Wakeman has a couple aswell, as he's had everything Moog since the dawn of time.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Yeah, I would imagine that it is perfect for a band situation.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:52 pm

mah stars n garters, Moog is back in the mix with the man that made it rock the best!!!!!!!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Geddy's keyboard controller's have been Roland D50, Kx76 for quite some time till now, is that a Fantom x below the Little Phatty?the end cheeks look like a fantom or V synth but it looks silver not black.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 am

On R30 he had some 76 key Yamaha sampler of some kind, and a Roland on top. He tends to darken out the logos so it's hard to tell. Old Phatty just sticks out like a phat thumb haha :lol:

Thanks for posting that dang cool pic. And the Rickenbacker forum is pretty excited about his return to the 4001, be it for a couple songs anyway!! Musicality indeed!! Go geddy go!! (eh?) :D :D

JBug
Gear: Kurzweil K2000S
Roland JX 10 with PG800
Roland D50
Roland JD800
Yamaha DX7IIFD
Yamaha CS2X

Post by JBug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:42 am

sequence wrote:On R30 he had some 76 key Yamaha sampler of some kind, and a Roland on top. He tends to darken out the logos so it's hard to tell. Old Phatty just sticks out like a phat thumb haha :lol:

Thanks for posting that dang cool pic. And the Rickenbacker forum is pretty excited about his return to the 4001, be it for a couple songs anyway!! Musicality indeed!! Go geddy go!! (eh?) :D :D
On R30 he had a Yamaha KX76, just a controler, and a D50 on top.
Kurzweil K2000s, Roland JD-800, Roland D-50, Roland Super JX, Roland JX305 Groovesynth, Yamaha DX 7IIFD, Elka Rhapsody. VSTi out the wazoo.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:46 am

Moog couldn't do much better than have Geddy Lee play one. Nice to see him away from the sampled sounds.

Rush at Red Rocks. Sounds cool. I saw them in the old McNichols arena around 80 or 81.

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:50 am

I wonder if Geddy is going to break out his original Taurus Pedals for the tour as well. He says he sold them years ago, but the producer of Snakes & Arrows insisted that he get them back for the new record. Anyone know?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:57 am

sequence wrote:On R30 he had some 76 key Yamaha sampler of some kind, and a Roland on top.
Yes, that would be the Roland D-50 & Yamaha KX76 as Mr. Black indicated. Both boards are probably triggering a plethora of synths below stage. Just to double check, I pulled out my R30 DVD. There's a nice overhead camera shot of his rig at the beginning of "Subdivisions." You can also see a chromatic pedalboard below, but not a Moog Taurus. Looks like a Roland PK-5, with flourecent tape or paint on the notes.

Z

CTB

Post by CTB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 am

sequence wrote:Thanks for posting that dang cool pic. And the Rickenbacker forum is pretty excited about his return to the 4001, be it for a couple songs anyway!! Musicality indeed!! Go geddy go!! (eh?) :D :D
You're welcome. Now in return, can ya point me to that Ric forum? (I'm serious.) :)
CTB

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 am

CTB wrote:
sequence wrote:Thanks for posting that dang cool pic. And the Rickenbacker forum is pretty excited about his return to the 4001, be it for a couple songs anyway!! Musicality indeed!! Go geddy go!! (eh?) :D :D
You're welcome. Now in return, can ya point me to that Ric forum? (I'm serious.) :)
here you go:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view. ... eral_Forum

entertaining group of folks

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 am

Z wrote:
sequence wrote:On R30 he had some 76 key Yamaha sampler of some kind, and a Roland on top.
Yes, that would be the Roland D-50 & Yamaha KX76 as Mr. Black indicated. Both boards are probably triggering a plethora of synths below stage. Just to double check, I pulled out my R30 DVD. There's a nice overhead camera shot of his rig at the beginning of "Subdivisions." You can also see a chromatic pedalboard below, but not a Moog Taurus. Looks like a Roland PK-5, with flourecent tape or paint on the notes.

Z
Lifeson uses the same pedal board as well, it looks like PK-5. And thats true about Moog and Geddy, what an endorsement for LP SE-- which I just bought and am impatiently waiting for arrival. first time ever I'll be able to point at the stage at Red Rocks and tell my friend Larry that I have the same synth geddy's playing. Can hardly wait to hear how LP carries thru the rocks.... :D

keb
Gear: Alesis Ion, Yamaha DX7II-D, Moog Taurus (Mk I)

Post by keb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Yeah, LP on top, Fantom X7 on the bottom. His MIDI pedals are Korg of some vintage.