Geddy Goes Phatty Live!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:18 pm

And you actually believe Geddy Lee himself wrote that booklet? By hand?
You also believe in Santa Claus?

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:48 pm

I saw them last night in London, ON. I used to be a huge Rush fan when I was a kid and saw them a few times on the Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows tours so this brought back lots of memories. It was cool (in a nerdy way) seeing the Little Phatty being used on those giant screens. :)

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: Geddy Goes Phatty Live!

Post by themilford » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Little bumpo.

So on the Time Machine tour Geddy and Alex both had Little Phatties...

A few tours ago they did Red Sector A and the Juptier sounds were replaced with Organ samples. Total bullshit.

I still don't get why Ged hasn't gotten a Prophet '08 or Poly Evolver to replicate the 80s Oberheim stuff. Don't they excel at this, especially the kinds of sound Geddy was getting?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 pm

I thought the polysynth tones Geddy used for the Moving Pictures songs were pretty accurate, although undoubtedly sampled. However, I know the Little Phatty can rip Mini-style leads yet the patches he used live just didn't rip like I wanted them to. Ah well. Considering Alex was playing chords on his LP I'm assuming he was MIDI'ed to their gigantic rack in the back.

Anyhow, Rush isn't nearly as fanatic a band about those synth tones as any of us are. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I realize that they had to lug all that s**t around and having been through a number of vintage analogs they are finicky at best even when you treat them nice like I did, let alone when you haul them around the world in anvil cases by roadies. That's why I don't really use vintage analog anymore (I only have one synth these days that qualifies under those terms) because I couldn't handle showing up to play and having my stuff not work. And I only play for tens of people. Imagine playing for tens of thousands of people daily on tour and not have your gear work. Especially when at the time you could buy a car for the price of a Jupiter 8. I kinda don't blame them for not wanting to use period gear. As a fan I miss it for sure, and there was certainly a period of their live shows when the synth sounds were pretty atrocious (most of the 1990s when they didn't really work on it) but on the Time Machine tour it sounded like they had worked on it a bit to dial them in. Still, would I have s**t bricks if they came back from intermission for the Moving Pictures part and Geddy had an OB and a Mini in his rig? Darn tootin' I would've. It would certainly have been noticed. Could he have copped a similar vibe with a Prophet 08? Yup. I'm just not sure how much of that really registers on his radar. I think they are both still absolute gear nuts for guitar and bass but you just don't see them go backwards on the synth or electro drums.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

slippast

Post by slippast » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 am

I'll bet after 20 years of touring with heavy and unreliable analog stuff they're happy to just run samples out of a rack. On a semi-related note, I saw Of Montreal a short while back and at several points during the show the little phatty's bass seriously shook the floor. Unbelievable. I need to sell my TS and get a phatty...

Back on Rush, why don't they have a Utah date :(. Bummer.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm

I get why they don't use vintage synths... I get it. But either Geddy is deaf or doesn't care when it comes to recreating older synth sounds.

It would be refreshing to see him hook up with DSI and maybe at least approximate those sounds with actual analogs... reliable ones for sure.

I bet an Evolver would even get him pretty close to some of that PPG stuff from P/G and Power Windows. The P'08 could cover most or all of the MP and Signals sounds... The rest can be sampled for sure... I mean a P'8 or Evolver would make a decent master keyboard for him... that and the LP would pretty much cover him... maybe even a Taurus III thrown in for good measure.

I dunno... maybe Nick Raskulinecz will continue to prod them about incorporating the analogs... maybe Ged will eventually crack ;)

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:08 pm

themilford wrote:I bet an Evolver would even get him pretty close to some of that PPG stuff from P/G and Power Windows. The P'08 could cover most or all of the MP and Signals sounds... The rest can be sampled for sure... I mean a P'8 or Evolver would make a decent master keyboard for him... that and the LP would pretty much cover him... maybe even a Taurus III thrown in for good measure.
This band's scope encompasses 37 years of material. Think about that. That's an amazing breadth of music. We're obsessing over what might be their golden era (depending on which synth era of Rush you prefer) but really only encompasses perhaps a third of their musical output. For last year's tour they played very little from the big synth era. They played "Time Stand Still", they played "Marathon" and that's pretty much it. For the Moving Pictures portion the synth sounds were decent, far better than they were from 1989-2007 and certainly adequate. That's just more s**t to carry around, another extra bit of complexity to an already amazingly complex live synth rig. As others have said, they could probably streamline their rig even farther than they already have. Playing a Little Phatty I think is probably the only bit of synth whimsy we are going to get. Though I do admit I was surprised that I didn't see Taurus 3's onstage in Houston last year.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Off topic a bit : I've always hated Rush synth sounds (ELP too btw), but I've always been amazed by Pink Floyd synth sounds. I used to really dig early Cure synths too. Am I the exception?

themilford

Post by themilford » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 am

Richard Gear wrote:Off topic a bit : I've always hated Rush synth sounds (ELP too btw), but I've always been amazed by Pink Floyd synth sounds. I used to really dig early Cure synths too. Am I the exception?
Yes.

;)

But seriously... depends on the album... some really hate Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows which are synth heavy and the start of the digital stuff (PPG Wave, DX-7)

But even friends of mine that hate Rush still really like the synth sounds on Hemispheres ('78) through Signals ('82) which was mostly Minimoog, Oberheim 8-voice and Taurus to Oberheim OB-X(a) and Juptier 8.

Geddy used the Taurus pedal up through the Hold Your Fire Tour...

I like early Cure synth too... but they aren't that "synthy" maybe more "stringery"? :?

Pink Floyd... meh.

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 am

themilford wrote:
Richard Gear wrote:Off topic a bit : I've always hated Rush synth sounds (ELP too btw), but I've always been amazed by Pink Floyd synth sounds. I used to really dig early Cure synths too. Am I the exception?
Yes.

;)

But seriously... depends on the album... some really hate Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows which are synth heavy and the start of the digital stuff (PPG Wave, DX-7)

But even friends of mine that hate Rush still really like the synth sounds on Hemispheres ('78) through Signals ('82) which was mostly Minimoog, Oberheim 8-voice and Taurus to Oberheim OB-X(a) and Juptier 8.

Geddy used the Taurus pedal up through the Hold Your Fire Tour...

I like early Cure synth too... but they aren't that "synthy" maybe more "stringery"? :?

Pink Floyd... meh.
Cygnus X-1 is a cool track. But I'd take Shine On over Tom Sawyer any day of the week. In college years, my best friend was a huge rush fan. I tried hard to like the band, but I just can't stand Geddy's voice.

The Cure has good synths in their 17 Seconds album. A Forest is a wonderful [nearly] synth pop tune.

themilford

Post by themilford » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 am

Isn't it mainly just RS-09 and Minikorg?

I love that record but it's hardly "synthy" sounding... more subtle.

Faith and p**n kick up the synth action a bit... Maxikorg 800DV on the later.

Man... the OB-X sounds on Signals are just so thick and creamy... might wanna check that one out again. By that point Geddy had tamed the screeching down a bit... and the lyrics are tad more "personal" as apposed to "fantastic".

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 am

themilford wrote:Isn't it mainly just RS-09 and Minikorg?

I love that record but it's hardly "synthy" sounding... more subtle.

Faith and p**n kick up the synth action a bit... Maxikorg 800DV on the later.

Man... the OB-X sounds on Signals are just so thick and creamy... might wanna check that one out again. By that point Geddy had tamed the screeching down a bit... and the lyrics are tad more "personal" as apposed to "fantastic".
I have a Minikorg and it indeed sounds Cure-ish to me. Desintegration is full of synths, but I think it's mostly JX-8p strings.

My friend also told me that if he had to vote for the best Rush albums, he might choose Signals. I'm hearing a sound clips of the album, and I might give that 2dc's compilation an other try.

But in terms of synths, I still prefer Pink. And even without synths... :)

themilford

Post by themilford » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Richard Gear wrote:
themilford wrote:Desintegration is full of synths, but I think it's mostly JX-8p strings.
Actually I think it's a lot of Solina sampled and played using Prophet 2000. And an Emulator string patch. Here's the list of what he used on that record:

Mirage Sampler
Prophet 2002 Sampler
Emulator E2 Sampler
Emulator E3 Sampler
Akai S612 Sampler
Moog Mini Moog Model D Synthesizer
Roland JX8P Synthesizer
Arp Solina String Machine

Some good reading (sources):
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/I26.html
http://www.rogerodonnell.com/disintegra ... ories.html

Oh, did I mention. the Cure is my 2nd favorite band. ;)

But anyway this thread is for Geddy synth love!

so here's a cool pic: