Ok So I sold My Beloved Korg DSS-1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gs

Re: I solved the trouble with the files.....

Post by gs » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:40 pm

galaxybr8 wrote:Heres the solution I found ..and its out there.... Thought Id warn you .. :shock: I fired up load QM and inputted the location of the file but used backslashes\\ instead of forward slashes //and it worked!!! But heres the weird part. :roll: The next patch bank wouldnt accept back slashes\\ but would accept forward//
I'm glad you got it to work, but if you read the instructions on my site, it stresses to make the DSS1 folder under C:\ not the desktop. That way you avoid having to type in long subfolder paths. "C:\DSS1" is a lot easier to type than what you did.
galaxybr8 wrote:Kudo's for all of the help... Im now enjoying my DSS-1 :D :D :D :D
Awesome! 8)
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:04 pm

gs wrote:From my DSS-1 Support site, here is a demo of something along those lines. I think it may be 8 unison detuned oscillators, not 6. (Actually it's 16 with Osc2 running and detuned against Osc1!). It is also using some chorusing from the DDLs:

http://glenstegner.com/dss1/demos/tride ... d_lead.mp3.
Very cool, thanks! I love sounds that are so thick you can't get them to fit in a mix. That way, I get to spend 12 hours beating my head against the desk trying to not make everything sound like it was recorded on a microphone that's been shoved into a loaf of bread. No, wait, that might sound pretty cool. I have to try it now :(

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Everything has its time and place. I'm glad you've found a chance to reclaim the bliss of DSS-1. Just like you, there could come another time when I purchase another vintage ARP synth to replace my Axxe - or surpass it.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

galaxybr8

I think I may have found another trick..

Post by galaxybr8 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:36 pm

I was messing around with the DSS last night and was back and forth between the Older PC formatting the disks with the F:720 thingy. I thought to myself that what if I was to insert a new HD disk into the dss-1 and format it in the DSS-1 diskdrive?" I did and it worked so I no longer have the need for the F:720 format in dos!!! Glen thanks for the pointer about the filename. I changed it into a easier typed file. BTW that patch used in "Slingblade" was "Zule" with a longer attack time. :D Now back to ebay to find a M1R or an Alesis QS 6.2 :wink: I have a registered version of N.I. Absynth that I plan to sample some patches into the DSS-1 and save to disks. "Now if I could figure out how to use an Iomega Zip drive or a CD Rom with this thing..." :roll:
I leave my FM on classical while I sleep, It gives me the best nightmares!!

gs

Re: I think I may have found another trick..

Post by gs » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:43 pm

galaxybr8 wrote:I was messing around with the DSS last night and was back and forth between the Older PC formatting the disks with the F:720 thingy. I thought to myself that what if I was to insert a new HD disk into the dss-1 and format it in the DSS-1 diskdrive?" I did and it worked so I no longer have the need for the F:720 format in dos!!!
Something told me you didn't need to do this step in the first place. As long as the disk had the hole covered with tape, CopyQM will work with an unformatted disk, or one that was previously 1.4MB DOS formatted. It doesn't matter.

But... let me give you some sage advice: It's NOT A GOOD IDEA to format floppies directly on the DSS-1. It will wear out your disk drive faster than you can say 'dead floppy drive'. My original DSS-1 drive basically crapped out on me WHILE formatting a disk. Plus it takes so damn long. I had to get a new drive.

Your best bet is to format a disk one time, then use CopyQM to make additional copies of the blank formatted DSS-1 diskette. That will save wear and tear on your DSS-1 disk drive.
galaxybr8 wrote:Now if I could figure out how to use an Iomega Zip drive or a CD Rom with this thing... :roll:
If you go to the DSS-1 Yahoo Group, there has been some talk on there about the possibility of using a Flash memory with some kind of modification. Nobody yet has confirmed that it will work, though.

galaxybr8

Just thougt I'd add a link for dsdd disks

Post by galaxybr8 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:44 pm

I was looking around on the internet yesterday and found this site...http://www.samplerzone.com/catalog/prod ... 5f7d0c19a5
It's for Blank unformatted DSDD disks at .39 cents each I ordered 50
for 19.50..I called and talked to the owner and verified that they would
indeed work with the DSS-1 (They're advertised for the Ensoniq)
So If youre looking for unformatted DSDD Disks,, there ya go!!
Anyway as I sample my Absynth and start storing the patchbanks I'll post them here or send them to you via web. Thanks to everyone for their input and a special thanks to Glen for the pointers and the GREAT Site!!

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, there was absolutely nothing in either manual about keyboard repair, just tons of signal flow and wiring diagrams. I understand the mechanism is supposed to be identical to the one in the DW-8000 (?) but I haven't had any luck locating any info regarding DW-8000 keyboard repair either. The search continues.
Musicist and programmator.

gs

Re: Just thougt I'd add a link for dsdd disks

Post by gs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:09 pm

galaxybr8 wrote:Anyway as I sample my Absynth and start storing the patchbanks I'll post them here or send them to you via web.
I'm interested in hearing these when done!

It's fascinating that you're going to use Absynth for source material to resynthesize. I did this myself using VAZ Modular. I basically sampled the raw oscillators (in unison detune!!!) and then filtered them in the DSS-1. In regular poly mode, I came up with sounds that could only be achieved on the DW8000 in unison mode - I could now play them polyphonically. When I then put the DSS-1 in unison mode, it was OVER THE TOP!

galaxybr8

Ok So what Am I doing wrong?

Post by galaxybr8 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:13 am

Ok So here I am with Korg Legacy Collection and Absynth installed on my PC..Im trying to sample "M1 Drums" I sampled the bass drum and I want it to be in C-3. The snare I want to be in E-3 Closed high hat in G#3 , Open high hat in G-3 ..Im confused about how to resample each one and assign each to a key.....Like I said I sampled the bass drum at C-3 and when I went to sample the snare at E-3 it overwrote my bass drum!! Im pulling my hair out and ready to scream.. I downloaded the manual and its greek to me... If someone could please explain to me what Im doing wrong I would be forever indebted to you... Thanks , :oops:

galaxybr8

Answering my last post...

Post by galaxybr8 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

I didnt have the memory division set to 8 , I had it set to 1 :oops: Korg M1/T-1 drums sampled and saved!!! Next the Korg Legacy Collection. and Absynth. If I sample these patches and use them is it copyright infringement? After all I spent big bucks on both programs. Thanks to all.....Dan

gs

Post by gs » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:18 pm

galaxy, I'm not sure quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to use sounds on Absynth or Korg Legacy, why not just MIDI your DSS1 to the PC and play those sounds directly from the software? They'll sound a lot better that way. DSS1 reduces to 12-bit which is probably okay for some sounds but not others. I think sampling the drum hits was a good idea, but taking a snapshot of an evolving pad from Korg Legacy isn't going to come out very good on the DSS1. It'll be missing a lot of the newer synth's features and you'll have to be super careful about looping.

The idea with the DSS1 is to start out with a limited set of samples and waveforms, and then synthesize/mix/mangle them in the synth engine. It's not really geared up to be a ROMpler/librarian of samples because of the slow floppy drive and limited memory. I think you'll get the most enjoyment out of the DSS1 if you sample and carefully loop/crossfade some interesting "oscillator material" that you can treat as "VCOs" -- such as sampling the raw oscillators of an OBXa or Prophet 5 or Jupiter 8 and then cut it down to a single cycle waveform. Or, make a longer samples of Pulse Width Modulation sounds from expensive synths -- and then apply the DSS1 filters/LFOs to them. That's where the real fun is with this synth IMO.

You can basically use the synth/sampler for whatever you like, whatever floats your boat... but I'm just giving some advice on where the real power in the DSS1 lies. Simply playing back static samples ain't where the real fun is.

BTW, you might want to consider changing the title of this thread instead of "getting rid of my DSS1" or whatever... we have an interesting discussion going on about this synth and most viewers will simply bypass this thread because they figured it's about getting rid of the synth or saying bad things about it, rather than learning to use it.

abrokenframe

Post by abrokenframe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:47 am

has anyone else tried copyQM with DOSbox and succeed in making floppies?
ARPPiano,ax60,cz101,cz3000,evolver,p08,emulatorII,mirage,esq1,r100,ddd1,dss1,dw8/6000,er1,lambda,microkorg,poly6,poly800,sr120,rhythmace,d50,d70,d110,hs60,jd800,jp8000,juno60,jupiter8,jx8p,rs09,rs202,tr727,drumtraks,cs50,cs6x,dx7,rx5,dr880,rhodes,b2

REwire

Post by REwire » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:20 am

I've had a DSS-1 since 1987 and I bought a DSM-1 (rack version) a few years ago to save space but that was a big mistake. It loaded all the sounds but the patches lacked all the thickness of the DSS-1. It could have been the missing Dual Delays or more I forget what but it was a waste and sold. I even tried loading the DSS samples into another sampler but it really took the whole DSS-1 to ceate all the magic. I'm not using it now but it will never leave my possession, it's that amazing!
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:05 am

the DSM-1 is supposed to have a different filter that's far inferior.

gs

Post by gs » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:17 pm

ndkent wrote:the DSM-1 is supposed to have a different filter that's far inferior.
No. It's the same filter (NJM2069) also found in DW series and Poly800. The difference is that on the DSM-1 they left off the resonance control. That, and the lack of DDLs and oscillator sync have rendered the DSM-1 anemic for synthesized sounds -- which the DSS-1 excels at.