The other 909

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mdl76

Post by mdl76 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:50 am

I just picked one up for $430 shipped... is that a deal or what?

The biggest thing I love about this box over the rs7000 is that the filter envolopes can be affected by velocity. I could never figure out how to do it on the rs7000 other than manually editing each note.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:27 am

Yeah, I've been watching the prices drop radically and have been really surprised by that. I'm glad you got yours for so cheap, MDL - I think you'll find a lot in it to like.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

crow

Post by crow » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:44 am

Loved it, used it a lot, but NO ANALOG FEEL parameter.

Sold it.

WHIT? :shock:

Is mc909's OS as buggy and inconvenient as they say? Does it crash often?

What do you think about its sequencer?

Who says ?? NEVER once crashed. Utter utter shite. :evil:

Technically, the MC808 has a lot more functionality, but the electribe series duplicate its synth capabilities and kill it in workflow, I look at it as more of a sampler. Since the sampling requires a computer, and oh, btw, no intel mac update on that tip, it is very near the chopping block.

What the f**k are you talking about?? No wonder the internet has a rep for complete utter pish. Computer mah f**k arse and the 808 is a subset of the 909's capabilities. Utter pishtalk.

The character was a bit "compressed" and using it as the main synth/drum machine isn't really a good option.

Compressed ?? Like your brain ?? Its the perfect drum machine. inbuilt or sampled. I seriously wonder what the f**k you people are wanting??

It's bit toyish in that it makes complicated processes very easy.

Well f**k mah auld boots. Imagine making anything f**k easy eh?? You'll have the f**k plebs making music soon. :evil:

I'm sure a lot of folk would call grooveboxes in general toyish in that they are often great at many things (sometimes spectacular) but true masters of none. That's a broad statement though and isn't really an argument on my part just silly rambling and there is another thread about that - . But really, If I had a groovebox that gave me everything I wanted why would I need 4 of them to make me happy? Or would I?

So my thoughts on the mc909 are mixed bag of goodness much like the 909 itself.

I love 1-2 button pushes them but like to have the option to get more detailed and personal. Simple processes are also like toys in that they are intuitive and most of all fun. What gives the 909 a hint of toy is that it gives you the basics (ie in most cases musical) choices with an easy interface that's fun to play but skimps on the depth compaired to what it could have been in my made up dreamland (ie putting a Vynth in there instead of a XV). PLus the candy raver racing graphics hurt the pro vibe of the 909 but whatever . My verdict on the D-beam is still up in the air Very Happy but I don't think I'm going to be doing a lot of writing with it. It will come in use for some fx though.

I don't like having to ever hit the stop button for anything but I can make music regardless and have adapted.

quite frankly I'm a little giddy about MC909. It goes well with my other gear and covers a ton of ground for me.

You need help. I have never read so much contradictory pish since my sons last rant about anything.
And that f**k flag just about sums you up.

In summary, i have never heard so much nonsense spewed by so few braincells.
If any of you are looking at a MC909 please just buy it and try. If it aint for you sell it on. DO NOT take the s**t spewed here as gospel.
Ah, whit the f**k. Who gives a monkeys f**k? I will and do, still have mine for the forseeable future.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:34 pm

AudiosEnvy wrote:
Constantine wrote:Is mc909's OS as buggy and inconvenient as they say? Does it crash often?

Nope. It was the main peice in my studio while moving around the country to gain radio experience and it held up extremely well. I didn't really like the sequencer but compared to many peices of all-in-one wanna-bes... it held up nicely. Try to give it a go at a local dealer and you will know instantly if it is for you or not both functionaly and sound character wise.
I think the MC909 was buggy on release but was apparently resolved in an update.

Had a MC303 and MC505, never again with Roland for me.

Its a shame they never released one with a multi JP style VA sound architecture as the sequencers are nice to use if a little limiting in many respects.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The other 909

Post by JSRockit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:50 pm

megawatt wrote:
Sounds: It runs off of the Roland XV engine so you either deal with it or hate it. I'm really ok with the sound though I found that I like to run it through a Tube pre/compressor before I hit the protools - I'm using a EHX LPB 2ube.
Anyone else using the EHX LPB 2ube for this purpose? I was thinking this could be good to use with my Elektron stuff... or even my MPC...since it is relatively cheap and stereo.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crow

Post by crow » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:07 am

Soundwave wrote:
AudiosEnvy wrote:
Constantine wrote:Is mc909's OS as buggy and inconvenient as they say? Does it crash often?

Nope. It was the main peice in my studio while moving around the country to gain radio experience and it held up extremely well. I didn't really like the sequencer but compared to many peices of all-in-one wanna-bes... it held up nicely. Try to give it a go at a local dealer and you will know instantly if it is for you or not both functionaly and sound character wise.
I think the MC909 was buggy on release but was apparently resolved in an update.

Its a shame they never released one with a multi JP style VA sound architecture as the sequencers are nice to use if a little limiting in many respects.
You think?? NO. You dont. Read that line again. Why the f**k did you bother? You do not have one and NEVER have, or will, according to your statement, so please, shut the f**k up. You just open your mouth and spew pish, just because you can. DID i not say there is no f**k bugs that are anything like showstoppers here. Read this. IT NEVER f**k CRASHES. Thats from an owner and daily user.

Oh and I have had a Jp8000 for a long time and the XV engine in the 909 beats it like a dominatrix on overtime.. arse up or hands doon if you prefer.

DO NOT make factual statements if you have no f**k real hands on facts. the internet is polluted with enough shite without your (thats ALL the ones who just spew like the Exorcist) f**k ego adding more. SHUT UP. Sorted. :evil:
Oh give an opinion if you must BUT mark it as such and qualify it with,"I know f**k all as i have only ever seen the c**t in a write up, elsewhere."
Saves you resembling a turd and spewing mair shite than oor sewage works on double time.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Shazam...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:17 pm

crow wrote:
Soundwave wrote:
AudiosEnvy wrote: Nope. It was the main peice in my studio while moving around the country to gain radio experience and it held up extremely well. I didn't really like the sequencer but compared to many peices of all-in-one wanna-bes... it held up nicely. Try to give it a go at a local dealer and you will know instantly if it is for you or not both functionaly and sound character wise.

You think?? NO. You dont. Read that line again. Why the f**k did you bother? You do not have one and NEVER have, or will, according to your statement, so please, shut the f**k up. You just open your mouth and spew pish, just because you can. DID i not say there is no f**k bugs that are anything like showstoppers here. Read this. IT NEVER f**k CRASHES. Thats from an owner and daily user.

Oh and I have had a Jp8000 for a long time and the XV engine in the 909 beats it like a dominatrix on overtime.. arse up or hands doon if you prefer.

DO NOT make factual statements if you have no f**k real hands on facts. the internet is polluted with enough shite without your (thats ALL the ones who just spew like the Exorcist) f**k ego adding more. SHUT UP. Sorted. :evil:
Oh give an opinion if you must BUT mark it as such and qualify it with,"I know f**k all as i have only ever seen the c**t in a write up, elsewhere."
Saves you resembling a turd and spewing mair shite than oor sewage works on double time.
Hey man cool yer kilt! :o

I was looking at getting an MC909 when they came out but then I read this which put me right off....

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... vebox/10/5

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews ... d=1327&p=6

....but as you read the more recent reviews Roland fixed this after a few updates which was all I was saying dude and I never said it was fact hence 'I think'. :?

I'm also not a big fan of the bland Roland ROM sound in any form but thats just me.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Crow has f**k people skills!!! dammit!

love that movie.

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Live with the MC-808/MC-909

Post by ficusrock » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 pm

The problem I have been having with my MPC1000 is that I want to be able to easily bring electronic drums and sequenced synth lines to live shows without getting all MIDI on everything. Beyond live shows I want an intuitive writing tool that I can use away from my computer. I don't want to tie up the limited polyphony on my other synths while I'm playing live or writing. Is the MC-808/MC-909 a good solution to this?

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 pm

I went from an MC-505 to the MC-808 and I don't regret it one bit. The MC-909 was just too big for me to lug around, and although the MC-808 requires a computer for detailed tone editing, it still functions great as a live sequencer which you can iprov with once you get all the sounds you want into it before hand.

Being able to ring mod four seperate samples into one tone with the XV engine, then resampling it through the built in effects can lead to some really unique sounds.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:36 am

Ummm ... I would suggest that you read the Harmony Central and the Sonic State reviews rather carefully. So many of them are so full of s**t that it's a minefield in there.

Yes, there were bugs in the first OS. Yes, they fixed them (mostly). No, I've never had mine crash, though I tend to be really minimalistic with it. One of the guys whose brain I picked before I bought mine has loaded his sequences to the frickin' gills and never had it crash on him, either.

As far as the sounds go, that's what originally put me off it, too, when it came out. However, after I heard what others had done with theirs, I realized that, like the 505, if you dig into it, you can get some pretty good sounds of your own. If you use the presets ... well ... I don't care much for them, but if you do, well ... :)

And Crow is one of the Wisened Ones ...

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

crufty

Post by crufty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:49 pm

Re-Member wrote: the MC-808 requires a computer for detailed tone editing, it still functions great as a live sequencer .
The big hurt for me is the lack of fx editing itb. For example reverb--room sizes, room/hall/delay types, all should be parameters avail from reverb menu. Yet, they are not...*sigh*. The ability to mute tracks is easy enough, wish there was a way to mute drum parts mc303 style. oh well.

tribe is a bit better in the live dept, though the limit to 8 measures per pattern is pretty rough. still, the mc808 is pretty precise midi recorder, so nothing wrong with that...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 pm

I spent a couple of hours with the MC-808 before I went with my 909. The lack of some controls vs the inclusion of motorized faders really bugged me. Of course, my first thought was "Ugh! Those will be a pain to repair!"

Crufty and Re-Member - I'm glad you two were able to get around that and like it just fine. Do either of you do much programming of original sounds on your 808's or do you use them mainly as a sequencer for other synths?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

crufty

Post by crufty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 pm

ha! It's impossible to create new sounds on the mc808 without the computer, and connecting a groovebox to a computer :evil:.

So pretty limited to the presets right now (beyond samples). I pretty much use it as a drum machine processing acid basslines, w/light backing/sfx on the other tracks. In time it will be used to sequence other monos, but there are other priorities first...

The motorized faders do have their use as it's very trivial to modify components of a given preset over the course of a given pattern, and its nice to be able to make corrections. I'm not horribly happy with it and wish I had saved the duckets for a MachineDrum UW. That's what I get, saw the 909 @ price abc and 808 a lot cheaper, read the SOS reviews and was like, well, 2x the power for half the price, can't go wrong, right?

ppthpt. Keeping it primarily because while I don't use it as a sequencer, it very easily could be used as multi-track sequencer (if I had a midi-thru box) and the resale value isn't worth the hassle.

Worst part is it could have been a lot more with a little bit more effort on Roland's part. And it does crash quite a bit, espicially when I'm recording and switching between parts.