Moog LP + A6: does it makes sense?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Moog LP + A6: does it makes sense?

Post by mao » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:39 am

I'm planning to buy a Moog LP to put aside my A6. After playing hours with a Voyager I think that I "like&need" that sound.
But LP is not the Voyager (the third OSC really changes something) and I'm asking myself if the LP worths a knife on my back from my wife seeing me coming back with another synth.
A6 is really great for me but those moog leads and basses sounds are so tempting... so...

Do you think A6+LP is a good combination? Are them to much overlapping each other? Is there anyone having both and "still" happy?

Thanks in advance.

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:46 am

If I could get away with that combination I would, but I can't afford an A6. But I say go for it.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:11 am

Well, I don't own an Andy either though I would like to... but I do have the LP, in amongst the heap. The LP has its own feel, flavour, and niche. It will not sound like the A6, nor will it be wasted space, as there's something so immediate and creamy about it, it begs to be played. Buy it, and hide it for a while in a big box marked "christmas presents for wife".

:lol:

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:56 am

Or even better, don't hide it, and just deny her sex when she complains.

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:33 pm

Go for it! Sounds like an awesome setup! :) Give your wife a nice romantic evening and buy her something nice. She'll get off your back - trust me! ;) :D

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Would you consider getting the A6 and LP for now and "trading up" to the Voyager at a later time?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:06 pm

I don't think you will be disappointed with that setup. The LP is a great little synth, and so easy to play and interact with. It's a lot of fun. I don't have an Andromeda, but my LPTE does complement my other analog polys (PEK & 2 Junos) nicely.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks for your suggestion... I think I'll buy the LP in september.
I was thinking on getting a 2nd hand voyager RME... It's near the price of a new LP... but It's very difficult to find one and to put it simply I need simple classic moog leads and basses... leaving the A6 for pads, strings and weird FX... So I don't need a full Voyager... and I'm very tempted by the 3 octave keyboard - easy to use front panel of the LP.
Giving away the A6+LP for a voyager is really nosense for me sorry...

thanx !

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:36 am

I currently have an Andromeda and Voyager that I find complement one another quite well. There is some sonic overlap, but they is plenty of difference too--that third OSCs makes quite a difference.

I've never played an LP along side an Andromeda; thus, I cannot speak from personal experience about how they go together. However, I have played a Voyager and LP side-by-side, and, to my ears, they are different-sounding instruments, which also complement one another. But not the same way that the Voyager and Andromeda do. In my head, I can envision adding an LP to my Andromeda-Voyager combination. In fact, I may just end up acquiring an LP this year.

So, the short version is... Yes, they would likely complement one another well.

Cheers.

WD

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:38 am

If it's the Voyager you want, keep saving. I've never been successful at buying synth B when I want synth A. I end up buying synth A later and selling synth B, usually at a loss. :(

I'm an Andromeda user saving for a Voyager. I even considered the RME for a while, but decided it's the Voyager I really want. What's an extra month or two of savings. Or eBay an old reverb or mic you've had stashed in the closet.

Victory! Or nothing!
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:54 am

Im going opposite of the popular opinion....Take the money go on vacation...master the equipment that you have...Ya sure you dont have the moog lead sound, but you have an A6...thats a powerful synthesizer with a sound of its own!
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:12 am

mao wrote: Giving away the A6+LP for a voyager is really nosense for me sorry...

thanx !
That wasn't what I (for one) was referring to. I didn't mean trading both in for a Voyager. I meant that you should trade up only from the LP to the Voyager. But, I do like the idea of getting the RME.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:28 am

or, you could get the LP now, and the Voyager RME later...i have to say demoing that combo was probably the closest I have come to synth sartori...and it costs the same as a Voyager keyboard alone..

mao

Post by mao » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 am

Ok, I got the point.
Yes... I really... really would like to buy a voyager. I can't. A 2nd hand Voyager RME would be the best solution for me. But I don't buy expensive gear on ebay.. I want to see and try before buying such an expensive thing. So I need to find a 2nd one in some stores and it's very very rare...
So the LP is the easy solution... but I really like to know how does it compares to the voyager. Is the LP really close or only similar? what about that sweet filter and resonance. Voyager grabs me for the butter sounds not for the aggressive ones.
Someone with both the Voyager and the LP could posts some comparison... (2 oscs sounds).. I think this will be useful not only for me.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:23 pm

as of last night [070807]Nova had a used RME...

But as far as sound, I think it is too subjective...you need to find both of them and A/B them...I don't have either, but I am trying to make a very similar decision and have spent a bit too much time in the music shop trying to decide...

Personally, if money were no object, and I had to choose one, I'd go for the Voyager keyboard [which may be a minority opinion around here] I like the robust sound the Voyager has, I like all the CV options...yeah it is smoother and cleaner than a mini D or an LP, but I love it for what it is...

Be that as it may, the LP is a great synth, and I like it's flavor of Moog as well, and honestly, it just begs begs begs to be played...I am first and foremost a guitarist [some piano lessons as a kid] and I just wanted to spend hours on it when I demoed it...which is not what I expected at all...hence, I think for me, the dream moog set up may be the LP + RME when I can get my head / wallet wrapped around that financial hit...

For the same price as the Voyager Keyboard, you can pretty much get an LP and a RME. That combo in my opinion is just a HUGE sound. You can get the playability of the LP, which, for what ever reason, is a real factor, I am definitely more inclined towards playing the LP...Unless I can find a some insane deal on a Voyager, I think I am going to go LP + RME down the road when I have more $$$ saved up...who knows, what the XS and the Boomchik will do to that equation...