PRESETS & YOU

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Windreaper

Post by Windreaper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:21 pm

Ahh, presets, I'd be so lost without them :). I program most of my sounds from scratch but can't bring myself to re-program perfectly fine bread 'n' butter sounds if they are present in the ROM (only some minor adjustments to how they respond to playing).

But yea, I like quality bread and butter sounds (acoustic emulations, if rompler, plus your basic synth pads/stabs/strings/brasses/basses/sweeps) and other staple sounds you can use in a pinch. I don't mind the occasional totally gorgeous preset, either (I use those without hesitation :). Effects, loops and "look at me"-sounds are a waste of memory (from my perspective).

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:25 pm

I rarely use ROM sounds for the simple reasons they're:
- not suitable for my style
- usually drowning in effects that ruin a mix
- not always great

The only thing I inherit for my own sounds are the silly Eric Persing preset names one bumps onto, every now and then.. :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:39 pm

there are some classics which i like to play with every now and then (fantasia anyone?) but most of the time im programming sounds either by tweaking the f**k out of presets to see what happens, or starting from scratch...i'd use more presets but i'm insecure about sounding like everyone else...lol x

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:39 pm

There are some sounds from the factory inside my LP and MEK that are keepers. I have no problem with using a few presets as 90% of the sounds I use are programmed from scratch by me. I would say that if you use 100% presets in your songs - then you've missed the whole point with synthesizers.

mavertron

preset

Post by mavertron » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:40 pm

I had an interesting thing with presets recently (interesting to me anyway... this is a bit long and boring so feel free to skip) .

I like presets, for me if its sounds good , it is good, i had polysix that had a fantastic organ preset on it, and i used it all the time, basically i have no problem with them. I am, after all, a lazy man.

After i got my obx-a, it had no sounds on it, the battery had gone, so i had the patch book that had all the original presets in it, so i went about reprogramming the presets back in, i began to get a pallette of really great sounds that i was really happy with, i also started to make my own from scratch, because the obx-a just sounds so good. In the back of my mind though, i was always thinking that the factory presets that i still hadnt heard would be a lot better.

Anyway, then the battery dies again,and i lose all my sounds that i have made -bum. To test the synth is working because im a worrier like that, i get a tape deck andload the factory sounds in from a cassette - anyway, the sounds are NOWHERE near as good as the ones i have made from the patch book. a couple of the strings are good, and there are some famous presets on there, But the whole experience made me realise the importance of programming you own sounds, The sounds that i had made from the patchbook, were so much more personal to me, the tiny increments on the filter cutoff, and the lfo, the adsr, really made them my sounds.

I guess what im saying is that its really important to inject yourself into the sounds you use, even if you use a patch book as a starting point, or only change them slightly, i think it will make your music sound more unique to you.

Sorry for the lengthy post, i know this is by no means a major revelation, and is one of the main reasons a lot of us like analogue synths and the amount of easy control they give.

But if you are lazy when it comes to editing, you should try it more, you might find the results far more satisfying and it will enhance your use of synthesizers tenfold.

cheers,

matt.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm

I could go either way if I like the sound than I'll use it, whether it is a preset or my own. When I got the poly-800, the batteries were taken out so it had no usable sounds on it so I started programming it from scratch. Recently I decided to load the factory sounds through the tape input, from my computer, to see what it sounded like. The sounds I made were much better IMO. It was still interesting to see some types of sounds I hadn't toyed with.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm

If it fits, I'll use it. I basically do two modes of playing synth: making patches, and making songs. Rarely at the same time, although sometimes I make my juno patches on the fly because it so quick and simple. I usually use my own sounds, but sometimes use presets with some quick adjustments. The Juno has great presets. The ESQ does not (except Mini M).
so what do I put down here now?

primative

Post by primative » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm

f**k 'em.
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: preset

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:02 pm

mavertron wrote:Sorry for the lengthy post, i know this is by no means a major revelation, and is one of the main reasons a lot of us like analogue synths and the amount of easy control they give.

I think it's still a pretty major revelation, because usually people aren't thrown in the deep end of the swimming pool like you experienced. Bonus points? No chance of accidentally imitating some talentless 80's band who already milked the factory preset set for all it was worth.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:14 pm

The Novation Supernova 2 is a pretty darn good VA out of the box.

The Novation Supernova 2 is one of the all-time greatest synthesizers ever once you destroy the presets and learn what it is capable of....sooooo much more than the presets begin to suggest.
Who knew you could do Synthex so well on this blue beast? (hint- multiple singleOSC patches with seperate chorus rates layered in a Performance) ....nobody that uses only presets, that's who
[EDIT: or JMP could tell me I'm just a nutball]

MKS, Jupiter, Juno, SH, OB and Moog is all emulatable to a very satisfying degree - I would have never suspected any of this (except MKS Juno & Jupe obviously) just by tweaking presets.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:25 pm

There are useful presets in many of the synths I own, but not all. I'd much rather spend some time making new sounds, play around, and get an idea for some piece through that sound. Or, with a no-memory synth, something as simple as the CS-5, you can put a patch together in seconds anyway son it's a non-issue. I hate a lot of the sounds in the Nord 2X, and I despise everything in the Microkorg except the vocoder. The LP presets are nice, but not my kind of thing, so I'm gradually overwriting them all. The MEK has some great showcase sounds, but they're too obtrusive to be very useable much of the time. I've made a range of sounds I really like on the Juno 60, and rarely use the ones I didn't program myself.

I suppose it's partly down to a sense of creativity, and partly down to simple aesthetic requirements, and partly the ease of patch creation. I hardly program my TX rack, as it's awkward, yet the Nord is much more immediate and gets programmed more as a result.

Also, I hate effects on synths patches. Take 'em off, and let me hear the thing bare. Sick of all those swooshes and delays and all that gubbins. Too fancy.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:If it fits, I'll use it. I basically do two modes of playing synth: making patches, and making songs. Rarely at the same time, although sometimes I make my juno patches on the fly because it so quick and simple. I usually use my own sounds, but sometimes use presets with some quick adjustments. The Juno has great presets. The ESQ does not (except Mini M).
+1 !!!!

more than the 50% of the patch i use are mine... but i'm not ashamed of using preset. anyway depend on the synth... all the patch of the DSI Evolver that i use are mine. It's so difficult to find a preset that you like if you don't have sound categorization and names, that it's easier to make a patch from a scratch. Instead i regularly use presets from the Waldorf Q and the Fusion (but i made lots of mine patch on either too).

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:36 am

nathanscribe wrote:
Also, I hate effects on synths patches. Take 'em off, and let me hear the thing bare. Sick of all those swooshes and delays and all that gubbins. Too fancy.

Amen to that, cruddy delays and reverbs on your patches.

In my experience its usually hiding a weak patch...

Turn those in built effects off quick.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 am

+1

this is why it takes years of user exploration for an often-ignored or misunderstood instrument to gain it's reputation....sometimes in an arena it was never foreseen to excel in.

Most synths are used far below their musical potential...and sadly remain that way till the end of their days. otoh every bit of enjoyment or education a synthesizer can offer is a always a good thing - unless it destroys your social life
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:01 am

I just got a Virus rack. I haven't listened to many of the presets, but the ones i have listened to, are c**p! So i've been making all my own sounds via the -start- patch at the end of Bank A. It's the only way to really discover the potential deepness in sound creation a synth might have. I've never used a preset, ever. I guess if i found one that really struck me, i'd use it. But the chances are slim =o] No one would sell anything if they came with a blank slate. Most of us here could tell a synth's power by just looking at the specs, and with a few mins could whip up a simple patch to test the basic sound with. But your average schmuck going into Retard Center looking for the latest Dr. Dre sounding synth will just scratch their head go on to the Triton or Motif. Personally, i'd like to see a sway towards non-memory synths. Basic MIDI, just note on/off. There's some out there, but i'd like to see more.