PRESETS & YOU

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:22 pm

It all depends. I'll sometimes use a preset as a starting point and then edit from there. The rest of the time I program my own.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Presets are usually a good demo of some of the things a synth can do. There are some important things to consider... What kinda music are you planning on using it for? What type of work will you do with a synth, Studio or Stage or (if you're fortunate) BOTH. No one synth will have presets that will address every kinda music genre thats out there. Presets for Hip Hop in the US and Electronica/Dance music in Europe don't interest me much.

Someone else mentioned that it suks that you can't edit Presets. True. It would be more convenient if you edit them and save them. If you ever want to restore them, you could. Otherwise, theres a lot of memory space going to waste.

Yamaha came up with a good idea for Presets. In Song Mode on my Motif ES8 I can directly edit a factory program and save it to the song, while still retaining the original Preset for later use or to be ignored. Otherwise, I would quickly fill the user patch space for voices on the ES8. On my Alesis ION, all 512 original factory patches can be overwritten. I like that idea. I have a copy or two of the original factory patches stored on some backup media if I ever want to revisit them.

Mike T.

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 pm

I use my own sounds programmed from scratch 99% of the time, the 1% is when I'm using a digital synth like a k5000 or a dx something or other. It was a conversation with Minime that really opened my eyes to why. He said that because he know his synths well, it is quicker for hi to program his sound than to dig through presets to find something near what he wants. I find that is my experience as well, digging through presets isn't a fun experience for me, programming a synth is. Even one I don;t know, that will be where I go first. I didn't even preview the presets on my A6 for months, just start from an initial patch and get going. This has to be on something with a decent interface, analog synths in general fit this category, even Alpha wheel types. I do think reverse engineering a preset can be educational, but generally I don't really respect preset jockey's as synthesists, they might be good songwriters, but I get off on analog sounds.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 pm

Talking about factory patches... anyone want to guide me in the direction of restoring my Novation KS4 back to factory patches. Whoever owned it before me did a number on the presets... and by number, I mean c**p. If anyone can guide me in the direction of the factory banks, that would be great.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:53 pm

AudiosEnvy wrote:Talking about factory patches... anyone want to guide me in the direction of restoring my Novation KS4 back to factory patches. Whoever owned it before me did a number on the presets... and by number, I mean c**p. If anyone can guide me in the direction of the factory banks, that would be great.
Novation's website has patches, OS updates, etc.

http://www.novationmusic.com/downloads. ... =13&type=2

WD

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:14 am

WDW wrote:
AudiosEnvy wrote:Talking about factory patches... anyone want to guide me in the direction of restoring my Novation KS4 back to factory patches. Whoever owned it before me did a number on the presets... and by number, I mean c**p. If anyone can guide me in the direction of the factory banks, that would be great.
Novation's website has patches, OS updates, etc.

http://www.novationmusic.com/downloads. ... =13&type=2

WD
:P It's like robbing a bank across the street from the police station... wouldn't have thought to look. Thanks man.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 am

You're welcome.

WD