"OK, that's GOTTA GO!"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequence

"OK, that's GOTTA GO!"

Post by sequence » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:43 am

woowheee. Been courting a nice young hottt smart blonde thing who has an affinty for Nordstrom and when I showed her a pic of my studio first thing outta her mouth was OMG :shock:

when asked to elaborate, she said "OK, that's GOTTA GO." Needless to say my heart sunk like a German battleship broadsided by a force of nature. when asked to elaborate further, she said "well it almost seems redundant, I mean, FIVE keyboards??" :shock:

(We're talking Yamaha S90, Korg Triton EX, Moog LPSE, DSI Evolver and MEK, Analouge Solutions Red Square Mk II, Emu Planet Earth, M-Audio Ozone-my PC audio card running Reason and Ableton-a FR Mobius, Korg D3200 Mixing desk, Event monitors, Alesis Airsynth and FX, Bleep Labs Thingamagoop, Rickenbaker 360, Martin D-28, Ric 4003 bass, Akai EWI4000s, and assorted preamps, effects, behringers, controllers, and whatnot) A typical setup!!

So I'm wondering, how did all of you fellow synthesists react to potential partnerdom and how they viewed all of your kit(s)?? Keep? Toss? Did the word compromise even come up?? Am I f**k? :cry:

"But dearest, it's therapeutic!" :lol: :lol: (I admit I could combine the Yam and Korg into one 88 key WS and dump the Evolver, so yeah she's not all wrong I guess.)

Personally, I think she's peeved that I bought a Moog for me, instead of puppy for her.... :P
twentyfirst century fizMO man

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:52 am

[quote=sequence]blonde thing who has an affinty for Nordstrom[/quote]

i would say that this has to go, but then again this doesn't really describe women i would be interested in...

but i guess i have an affinity for women more passionate about things in life than shopping, and thats the only description you have given of her other than that she is "smart" and "hot". telling a musician that their gear has got to go is like telling a football player that they cant own their sholder pads because they take up too much space. if shes worth keeping, she will get over it or even learn to appreciate/respect your desire your use of these instruments...

or you could try out the same on her. walk into her closet and say "thats gotta go"

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:58 am

Wow. I'd take the girl over the instrument every time, but that's the sort of comment that makes me wonder if she understands (or cares to) your relationship to your music--and if it were me, that would require some very serious thought. I don't know what to tell you, but I wish you luck.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:02 am

What struck me immediately was the "redundant" comment. [Yes, you have some overlap, but I am not going to get into that.] Perhaps, you can educate her about the actual lack of redundancy in your studio. Perhaps, put it in terms similar to drums or guitars, where different sizes/materials/etc. make a significant sonic difference.

By the way, I think that this is an OT subject and not really one for General.

Cheers.

WD

m03

Post by m03 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:03 am

Ask her how many purses and pairs of shoes she owns.

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:24 am

Dump her. She's a b***h, plain and simple. Tell her it's your money.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

CTB

Post by CTB » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:28 am

You can look at it two ways: You can either conform to her wishes, be unhappy, and set yourself up for fights/stress later; or you can be single when you're a geezer pushing 40 ;) and still looking for the woman who gets you for who you are, but have your toys. There isn't a Mrs CTB and I'm pushing 40, so you can figure out what my advice is.

Oh, and I agree with WD - this is OT.
CTB

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:03 am

This could be one of two situations here, and you haven't fully elaborated as to which. So consider both:

If you had all of it / most of it before you started dating, she has no right to say that. Explain to her that they all sound different and leave it at that. If she can't deal with it, then it's probably not a good idea to keep it around.

If you bought all (most) of it during your courting period, then you should probably be ensuring that she's ok with the buildup before buying stuff anyway. If not, buy something that is a compromise - i.e. something that can perform similar tasks to two or more of the individual parts that you have.

In the former case, if she's trying to change you or your life before you even get started, it'll NEVER work out - although at least give her the benefit of the doubt and point out the differences and reasons for needing different stuff.

In the latter case, welcome to the world of relationships! If you don't like it, don't get involved..! :lol:

(BTW - I agree - this is OT.)

King Julien

Post by King Julien » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:18 am

To me this is a nice situation to lead into a discussion about "this is who I am, what i like" etc - for many people this might be like a new g/f saying "I don't like your friends/family - they GOTTA GO". Its ridiculous, right?? Has she explained what it is about your studio that is so offensive? Does she feel threatened that she might not be the only thing in life you are interested in? Does she want to change you in some ways? It could be good for your relationship to set some limits/boundaries in your lives and agree where to disagree.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:25 am

when you stand back and look at it, shock would probably be the average non-muso reaction really to most of our "typical" setups.. However, telling you that you've actually got to get rid of s**t based on a picture says more about her than your gear particularly as it doesn't sound like you've been going out long (if she's only just seen your gear)... is she the controlling type? :o :)
Do you even post on vse bro?

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:41 am

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry i didnt start it in OT, but then I wasnt thinkin too clear about forumalities like this. Mod can we move it?

To answer one ??, yes everything was bought before we started seeing each other, except for Little Phatty. When I explained the Moog moniker and it's significance in what we do, she seemed interested, that's when she got to see the whole kit and freaked out. :shock:

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I just jetted her an email stating that because at this time she is not a gf, partner, wife, or my CPA, she has ZERO right to tell me what to do with my gear, and that I thought her statement was crass and classless, and asked for an apology :x So we'll see. I have quite a few doubts about her and this may be the deal breaker. After all, I want someone that's interested in what I do, and not how many f**k Nordstrom stores she can hit in one day.

yellowfever
No Longer Registered

Post by yellowfever » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:53 am

sequence wrote: I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I just jetted her an email stating that because at this time she is not a gf, partner, wife, or my CPA, she has ZERO right to tell me what to do with my gear, and that I thought her statement was crass and classless, and asked for an apology :x So we'll see. I have quite a few doubts about her and this may be the deal breaker. After all, I want someone that's interested in what I do, and not how many f**k Nordstrom stores she can hit in one day.
mate, I can tell you exactly which way this will go!! You're sending her emails asking for apologies? Ever heard of a phone?! Oh well, look back on her as good memories and hot hot hot
you had a lucky escape if you ask me :lol:

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:44 pm

actually I have the capability of pulling an email after being sent, if not opened, and she did not open it. You're right, something this potentially serious is not email material, it needs a direct approach. Although Im not as torqued as I was yesterday, I still need to calm my a*s down a bit before I talk to her about it.

anything that's a direct threat against my music is a direct threat against me, and she has to know this. If she's not cool with it, then it's hit the road Jack. She's "gotta go." :D

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Big Gnome wrote:Wow. I'd take the girl over the instrument every time, but that's the sort of comment that makes me wonder if she understands (or cares to) your relationship to your music--and if it were me, that would require some very serious thought. I don't know what to tell you, but I wish you luck.
this is prob the most valuable insight of them all, thanks BG :D

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:51 pm

everyday i thank god that i am dating a girl that acts like a lady and not an obnoxious dickhead. and while she doesnt care much for synths, she will comment on the sounds and songs they make and occasionally feign interest in the actual sound architecture.

otherwise, to h**l with any loopy b***h that would say something like that. i have had women say s**t to me that, if a guy had said to me, would end with his teeth being on the ground. blame the media, where all men are portrayed as blithering idiots needing the guidance of a bitchy woman.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.