Rackmount Alesis Ion?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
LittleRoughRhinestone

Rackmount Alesis Ion?

Post by LittleRoughRhinestone » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm in the process of replacing some of my boards with rack gear since I'm going to be moving to a college dorm in the near future and I'd like to be able to use space better. I was wondering if anyone here knows if there are any plans to make a rackmount version of the Alesis Ion? I miss mine and I'd like to buy another one, but I don't have the space for another keyboard. Does anyone here have any connections inside Alesis... do you know if they're going to make one sometime?

I apologize if this is a topic that's been brought up before, but I looked around and nobody's mentioned it... it seems to me like such a good idea!
"Don't be square, be there!"
Electribe EMX-1 and ESX-1, Waldorf Q and XTk, Oberheim OB-8, Prophet VS, Emulator III, Ensoniq EPS, SE-1x
http://myspace.com/aafohp

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:59 pm

Judging from how long it has been on the market I doubt it. The Micron is pretty small but I'm sure you're aware fo the micron.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm

is that mean youll be selling your waldorf xtk, to get the xt? I may want to buy the xtk from you..
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:40 pm

A rackmounted ION (or Micron) is on a lot of people's wishlists. The keybed does nothing for me, but the engine and interface are outstanding. Might as well either throw a real keybed on there or scrap the keys altogether.

Personally, 6U's of Alesis knob-laden VA would be a godsend. But, alas, I expect that it will remain a dream.

WD

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:54 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about an Ion rack but if they decided to come out with an upgraded Ion and/or rack, then i'd be interested. Things i'd be interested in would be a new Alesis filter with character of its own, less osc aliasing and even more work on the vintage filters. Oh, and better keys with aftertouch and NL3 style endless rotaries.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

SUBMIT DAMMIT!

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:04 pm

It's gotta be said that as of late Alesis haven't been getting their act together with the current Ion and Andromeda synths. So I think it'll be a good while before they consider making a rack at this rate - correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure you still can't even buy an Ion new in the UK thanks to that European goods law.

Having said that if there is a market there it'll become a reality eventually with any luck.

LittleRoughRhinestone

Post by LittleRoughRhinestone » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:45 pm

It's a shame that it seems to be so speculative, altough I have to agree since Alesis hasn't been answering any of my emails and their website hasn't been updated in a long time. I might just get a Micron since it seems small and fun and i've heard good things about it.

animehair, i may hold on to the xtk since i like it and it's served me well for a long time. but my q keyboard is definitely on its way out, so if you want to buy or if you have anything you want to trade for it, let me know. otherwise it's probably going on ebay within the next couple of months.

Thanks everybody for your help. Maybe now I'll start a petition!
"Don't be square, be there!"
Electribe EMX-1 and ESX-1, Waldorf Q and XTk, Oberheim OB-8, Prophet VS, Emulator III, Ensoniq EPS, SE-1x
http://myspace.com/aafohp

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:34 pm

the ION-R is on many people's wishlist from a long time ago..and if it happen, it actually could be one of the sweetest looking rackmount 8)

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crufty

Post by crufty » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:28 pm

If there was an a6 rack it'd be in my rack right now. I just don't have room for another keybed.

I definitely need a polysynth too, sunsyn is looking better all the time...

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:10 pm

crufty wrote:If there was an a6 rack it'd be in my rack right now. I just don't have room for another keybed.

I definitely need a polysynth too, sunsyn is looking better all the time...
15 U of pure analog greatness.
so what do I put down here now?

bill H.

Post by bill H. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 pm

I highly doubt that there will be any more Ions produced, let alone a new product like an Ion Rack. Alesis's new owners Numark seem to have no interest in the synth line of the old company. It's just dying. They apparently bought the company for it's other assets.

Gearpile

Post by Gearpile » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:00 pm

We had this topic some time ago on our Fusion users forum. The answer is that Alesis feel that the possible number of sales wouldn't support the time and effort to develope a rack unit. I think they made a QS rack once and it just didn't move. Most people prefer a synth with a keyboard. I was hoping for a rack unit myself. Like most of us I have plenty of things with keys.

If enough people write and ask about a rck unit, you never know...

If space is a issue why not get a Micron and the Microzune editor program?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Do the Ion's electronics dip under the keyboard? Is it possible to remove the keyboard and left-hand controllers from the rest of the synth and give it custom rack ears?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Quote by Bill H:

"I highly doubt that there will be any more Ions produced, let alone a new product like an Ion Rack. Alesis's new owners Numark seem to have no interest in the synth line of the old company. It's just dying. They apparently bought the company for it's other assets".

Is that right? If so, that's really too bad. I've gotten a lot of miles out of my ION and never had any problems with it. I like the way its setup for live performance and I think the sound/features/price is a bargain. There are players out there that don't like the ION for various reasons, and I can't disagree with them most of the time. If it were a 1200 street price synth, that would be a different matter. But at 599 (or less) brand new and even less on Evilbay, I think its an excellent value.

I'd hate to see Alesis fall by the wayside again, they've certainly had their share of bad times. :cry:

Mike T.

Panurge8

Post by Panurge8 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 pm

I too would like to see a rackmount ION, they could call it the IRON 8)
It would also be cool if Alesis made a follow up to the ion in the opposite direction of the micron; 61 semi-weight aftertouch keys, and no effects, vocoder, or arp. Sorry about the not so original ideas :roll:

BTW Nice picture Crystal, did you photoshop that?
Do the funky Alphonzo.