JP-8 / V-Synth frustration

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
raoul duke
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M, Korg PolySix

JP-8 / V-Synth frustration

Post by raoul duke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Been searching for a JP-8 for about a year now and they seem to be getting pricier and pricier (as well as older and older). I'm now thinking that I'll opt for a "V" instead (after all; Nick replaced his JP with a V). My research has shown that the "V" will do everything the JP does, plus more (and is more modern obviously).

My main question is am I right in thinking that the "V" DOES do everything the JP does? Anyone with experience with both who has info or opinions is welcomed to weigh in. I know I should know better (and yes, I've used "search"), but I never considered the "V" until now, so never really learned about it.

Thanks in advance,
rd
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Nicks original touring JP8 died back in 2003 and he bought my m8's mint JP8 in summer 2004. As far as I know its still his favourite synth but he is not prepared to gig with one anymore. As you know he gigs with the Andromeda A6 and V-Synth....but record with it?

In short, the V-Synth is not a replacement for the JP8. I appreciate this might set off mind loops for you....but the honest truth is is that the analog modelling section of the V-Synth is quite c**p really. A harsh, bright, cold tone. Nothing to write home about.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:15 pm

The V-Synth is a beast of a synth in it's own right. But replacing the tone and character of a Jp8? I think not.

But looking at your current set-up there raoul duke, it seems that a V-Synth will sit perfectly with your other gear.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

crufty

Post by crufty » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 pm

typical v-synth action:

bwur *cutoff knudge * bwwuurrr *cutoff fling* buwZIPPPPPPPPPPPPPRRRrrrr

bad bad aliasing on v-synth. not too bad if you don't fling the knobs around.

still using it as analog replacement, as others have said, is not what its made for. a bit like using a jp8 for drum synth sounds...sure you can do it...but...would you?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:28 pm

The v-synth has a radically different structure than a classic analog synth, so I think you'll find it really hard to replicate analog sounds.
Nick Rhodes has more replaced the JP-8 with the Alesis Andromeda. It has the same basic structure.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:31 pm

All synths are different. All synths are alike. Make of these facts what you will.

A Korg Prophecy (an older, crappier VA) does the "Jupiter 8 sexpump sound" better than the V-Synth imo.

Just because a celebrity uses a piece of gear...it has absolutely nothing to do with if it is right for you and your music.
You will only learn what is best for your music after investment in time and research, not to mention some flammable $$$

....or you could just be trying to get laid and none of this music talk matters to you...you didn't specify any other purpose than "doing a J8", which seems rather sketchy...
Last edited by shaft9000 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Actually I should give the V-synth some credit.....you will be able to make music using all of these cool sounds

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Now contrast it with the JP8

Which tickles you most?

DS

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Actually I should give the V-synth some credit.....you will be able to make music using all of these cool sounds

DS
Yes the V-Synth does make a good ''''MIDI'''' controller for that shitty Casio.

I sampled my Jup 8 into the V-Synth and it sounded c**p. Both sound good, but totally different. If you want the Jup 8 sound then you'll just have to hold out for one.

Question is; £700 for a S/H V- Synth or near £2,000 for a nice Jup 8....? Get yourself a Jup 6 & AND a S/H original V-Synth and you've probably saved around £500.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:57 pm

[quote="crufty"]typical v-synth action:
bwur *cutoff knudge * bwwuurrr *cutoff fling* buwZIPPPPPPPPPPPPPRRRrrrr
quote]

I raff. :lol:

Actually, the V-Synth is probably the worst VA ever.

Actually (part 2), it's not a VA at all. It's totally its own breed of cat.

I ADORE mine for its mangling might.

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 pm

I agree that the V-synth is not a replacement for a JP8 at all. Not even close.

But, The V-synth is an incredible synth. I disagree about the VA part being c**p (unless not c**p means analog). I don't think it sounds analog though. It sounds like a v synth and it makes some really mangled sounds. However, I think it has a modern Rolandy sound which I don't like for certain things.

Not a JP8 replica, but how about the DSI polyevolver?

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Pighood wrote:Actually, the V-Synth is probably the worst VA ever.

Actually (part 2), it's not a VA at all. It's totally its own breed of cat.

I ADORE mine for its mangling might.
I was postinng as you wrote this. You said it much better than me. I agree in full!

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:04 pm

He's already gpt a JP6. Looks like he only has to spend 700 GBP. Bargain! ;-)

Personally, I like the VA part of the V-Synth, but I do not use it to sound like a JP8. Yes, it is far from perfect, but it is precisely that imperfection that I seek in its sound--for specialty application only, of course. The real beauty in the V-Synth is its ability to completely mangle sounds.

Sticking to Roland VAs, I think that the JP80X0 is closer to the JP8 than the V-Synth, but that is not to say that the JP80X0 sounds like a JP8. I'd agree with JMP that the JP6 gives a good Jupiterish sound, but it is not quite a JP8. To me, all of the Jupiters really have a sound all their own, which is what makes the Jupiter family so special.

I actually think that the Andromeda can deliver more of the JP8's smoothness than the JP6 can. But going the Andromeda route means spending approximately the same amount of money as buying a JP8 (although I would take the Andy over the Jupiter without hesitation).

WD

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 pm

WDW wrote:it is precisely that imperfection that I seek in its sound--for specialty application only, of course. The real beauty in the V-Synth is its ability to completely mangle sounds.
looks like we all use the V synth in the same way!

To offer another solution, Any interest in that new Virtual JP8? I haven't heard it so I don't know how jupiter it actually sounds. That would require a laptop live though....and latency....and a midi controller...sorry, maybe it wasn't a good idea after all...

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 pm

The audio in of the V allows you to stream in whatever you want and mix it with horriffic mangulation of the other source. I like to run a radio in and abuse a beat alongside it.

Or, I can take the already diseased sounds emerging from my Andromeda or Q (or whatever else) and piss on it some more with the COSM's.

Don't ask me how I'm holding up the table cloth right now. :shock: