JP-8 / V-Synth frustration

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Cybananna wrote:
WDW wrote:it is precisely that imperfection that I seek in its sound--for specialty application only, of course. The real beauty in the V-Synth is its ability to completely mangle sounds.
looks like we all use the V synth in the same way!

To offer another solution, Any interest in that new Virtual JP8? I haven't heard it so I don't know how jupiter it actually sounds. That would require a laptop live though....and latency....and a midi controller...sorry, maybe it wasn't a good idea after all...
I like the JP8V, but I do not think that it sounds like a JP8. [Pretty much my assessment of all of Arturia's offerings. Great soft synths...but not true emulations of the originals.]

Cheers.

WD

raoul duke
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M, Korg PolySix

Post by raoul duke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 am

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the first hand experiences of those of you fortunate enough to have worked with both.

I'll probably hold out for the JP-8 seeing as how the 2 actually compare. As I suspected; nothing seems to replace the JP-8. In the meantime, I'll be shipping my JP-6 controller board out to Synthcom soon. That ought to keep me busy for a little while.

rd
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:22 am

I never tried a real JP8 so I can't talk of any experience here. However, I have both the V-Synth and the JP8V and I love them both for what they do. Not really trying to get a particular sound of a JP8 (although I love everything Nick Rhodes did with his).

Get a V-Synth and a JP8V and you won't be disappointed with either :)
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

MarkShovel

The V rules!

Post by MarkShovel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 pm

I get great moog type lead and basses from my V-Synths.

It is a unique voice.

I'm trying to decide between an A6 and a GT right now. I may have to buy both!

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

WDW

Re: The V rules!

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 pm

MarkShovel wrote:I'm trying to decide between an A6 and a GT right now. I may have to buy both!
That'd be my choice. Two of the best synths on the market.

WD

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm

While a V Synth sounds NOTHING like a JP8 (and its not analog, its not supposed to), i dont see why people are bagging on its abilities as a VA. As far as i can tell it has the same VA architecture as a JP80x0, and a whole lot more, so its mod sequencer and editable architecture and sampling capability put it in a whole new world, but i dont think this detaches it from having good capabilities to make big analogish sounds, if i only had 2 pieces of gear i used, the V would be one of them.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 pm

I've also read that the VA section, at a minimum, leverages the code from the JP80X0 series. However, I wonder what changes to the software, as well as the different hardware architecture, have to do with the difference in sound. I've used my V-Synth and JP8080 side-by-side, and I have found--at least to my ears--that the JP8080 sounded more realistically analogue.

Anyway, I am certainly not bagging on the V-Synth. It is one of the most unique synths in my studio and, although I do not play live, were I to gig, the V-Synth is one of two synths that I would use. [The other being the Virus TI.]

In fact--and this is where I will surely find disagreement with other VSErs--I classify the V-Synth in the category of revolutionary instruments, such as the Prophet VS, which opened up a whole new dimension of sonic manipulation.

WD

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:19 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Actually I should give the V-synth some credit.....you will be able to make music using all of these cool sounds

DS
Oh man, I have to give you some credit for posting this. I was f**k laughing my a*s off here at work. Made my damn ngiht dude.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:37 am

WDW wrote:and this is where I will surely find disagreement with other VSErs
Not from me. The V-Synth does things that nothing else, hard or soft, can.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 am

Wiglaf wrote:
WDW wrote:and this is where I will surely find disagreement with other VSErs
Not from me. The V-Synth does things that nothing else, hard or soft, can.
It's one of those instruments that people seem to either love or hate. No middle ground.

WD

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:06 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Actually I should give the V-synth some credit.....you will be able to make music using all of these cool sounds

DS
Come on, It took some incredible synthesis power, serious effort and programming abilities and to make the V-synth sound like a $10 casio.

:lol:

I also think that the V-synth is one of those instruments that will become legendary for it's abilities.

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:34 am

DS
LOL

You not only put me off from the V-Synth but also music in general!

WD

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: JP-8 / V-Synth frustration

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:26 am

since you already own a Roland Jupiter 6, JP-8000 and Alesis Ion, I don't think that the V-synth will add much more in emulating the JP-8. unless you want to opt for it's own marvelous engine. with those synths on hand, may be an analog synth with greater control and more versatility such as the A6 could also worth the consideration. the V with it's digital sounding character clearly won't be my choice for a mighty analog synth replacement such as the JP-8.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

MarkShovel

Post by MarkShovel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:28 pm

After extensive recording with my V-Synths last night, I had clarity into this topic.

If you want to live in the past, get a JP8

If you want to live in the present, get a V-Synth.

If you want to live in the future, get a V-Synth GT.

Are you trying to cover old bands like Thomas Dolby, or are you trying to make new revolutionary music?

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:35 pm

i see your point Mark. but would like to add that new and revolutionary music can be made with JP8 as well, as long as you do new n interesting stuff with harmony/tonality/melody/arrangement etc etc. if one depends only on fresh sound, out of context of composition/arrangement, no GT (or Kyma) will help there..

further, thinking about vintage synths only in context of how they were used or programmed in top40 hits in time of their introduction/heyday (ie synth pop), is terribly limiting and a complete miss on their true capabilities. those guys far from explored all posibilities. for one, im not in the least bit interested in "covering" anyone. not dolby or nick rhodes, and can always find fresh ways to implement jp8 in my music.

back on topic, if u dig VS for what it is - go for it, but not to replace JP8 . as others have hinted, having 6 u are closer to 8 than with your digitals. bottom line, JP8 does what it does best, and if u really like it - there are no true replacements. A6 certainly ain't it. to an extent, different elemetns of its sound can be found in jup4, jup6 and juno60, respectively.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc