JP-8 / V-Synth frustration

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MarkShovel

Post by MarkShovel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Cluster, I meant no disrespect to you and I hope that one day, my brother will sell his JP8 to me. It has major mojo! I've got a VariOS with the JP8 app, but it is not the real thing.

I agree with your comments about the arrangement versus the sound textures. That is why I enjoy the grand piano patches on my Fantom X8 with SRX-11. In this application, technique and key structure is king. Someday, I hope to have a real grand piano.

To me the big thing is inspiration. Rotating between different synths provides a different landscape to be enjoyed. The past two weeks I focused on my JD-800 and XP-50 as I refurbed the keybeds. Last night I decided it was time to revisit the V-Synths. The JD-800 got me into the soundtrack frame of mind. I have started working on free-form arrangements without the constraints of a percussion track. The V-Synth provides another perspective of percussion with the cyclical rythms of some of the patches. I have also recently been inspired by the new Linkin Park "minutes to midnight" album. Several tracks have no real drum track, but utilize a rythmic sound effect. With these stratedgies, I find it difficult to add guitar parts to the arrangement. That will be my next goal.

I am personally torn between using what I have and buying a V-Synth GT an/or an Andromeda. I currently have too many synths. (and too much cash). My time also needs to be split towards my family, dogs and yard work. My tomato plants are about 4' tall and are just starting to yield ripe fruit.

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:43 pm

none taken. :) sorry if my response sounded that way. i just wanted to offer another point of view regarding vintages, as so many ppl cathegorize them only as nostalgia machines.. instead of unique character musical instruments capable of giving back what u put into them. first man, then machine..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:13 am

guys, you are all talking about all my fav synths, JP8, VS or VS GT, A6 and V Ti ... wish if I had a few of them!
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:40 am

Yet once you DO get them, you just want even more fat synths. It's a neverending spiral of money.

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 am

Bitexion wrote:Yet once you DO get them, you just want even more fat synths. It's a neverending spiral of money.
yeah no kidding! I have a Jupiter 8 on the way. It was @ $2500.00, with some paint rubbed of in the mod section. I think I can live with that. The last two Jp8's I tried to win in an auction, went for $3300 and $3500. Don't think they'll be coming down anytime soon. The plus is that I purchased my Prophet 5 from this guy a couple years ago and it's still alive and kickin'.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:51 am

Bitexion wrote:Yet once you DO get them, you just want even more fat synths. It's a neverending spiral of money.
Indeed. My tastes just seem to get more exotic and, hence, more expensive. Dammit! ;-)

WD

raoul duke
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M, Korg PolySix

Post by raoul duke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:29 am

Max,
I wondered who got that one. I caught it about 10 mins after you bought it. Best of luck with it!

rd
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Ah the dreaded exotic spice synth setup. Curious as to what you define as exotic WDW !! 8)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:05 pm

CS80, PS3300, ARP2500, vintage modulars (e.g., Buchla, Serge, Moog, Roland), contemporary modulars (e.g., everything)...oh, the list is endless. :-)

Fortunately for my wallet, the vintage stuff does not come along (in the condition that I seek) all that often; thus, it does not tend to be an issue. And, so far, I have been able to keep my modular madness under control, because I can use my friend's systems. However, I know that, soon enough, I shall succumb myself.

WD