Vocoders! Daft Punk!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gorskytron

Vocoders! Daft Punk!

Post by Gorskytron » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:13 pm

So what are everyones thoughts on interesting vocoders?..New or old.
Also, does anybody know what vocoders Daft Punk uses?
thanks! :D

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Microkorg!! definitly a microkorg... haha.....no really, I would like to know this too....it seems they use pitch correction software sometimes too? What does Chromeo use as well, their vocal processing sounds very similiar to daft punks at times.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 pm

This has been discussed a lot of times before. Chromeo use a talkbox. Daft Punk have used several types of vocoders, vocal designers etc.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 pm

i bought my Radias because i wanted a vocoder (i really, really don't need any more synthesizers). it was either that or the NI Vokator and i thought a physical instrument would serve my needs better since it was more traditional and i did want something that was stereotypically vocoder-ish. i like it more than any of the contemporaries because its design focus revolves around the vocoder as a fundamental feature, not a "special" feature: so it's easy to use and sounds great! some of the presets are clearly written to perfectly emulate Daft Punk album vocoder sounds.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:26 pm

mmm luck Xpanda!

Quite an expensive way to get a vocoder tho for me.....I was thinking about the MAM VF11 / FAT Procoder /Next whatever.....they seem popular.....but for now I will have to do with my Boss SE70.....would like to know what Daft Punk use......

I thought this post may have been from the phantom 'vocoder' poster-who cracked me up-when I first joined this forum it seemed like the most absurd thing that some guy was winding you up posting about vocoders....I mean-thats ridiculous

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:37 pm

SWAN wrote:...but for now I will have to do with my Boss SE70
the SE70 has one of my more favorite vocoders. dirty, but warm and highly intelligible. i use an Electrix Warpfactory, a Behringer Virtualizer Pro (similar to the vocoding abilities of the Boss SE boxes), and now a microKORG. i think the vocoders in the Korgs (mK & MS2000) are fun, but lack the clarity and intelligibility found in other synths/effects boxes. i haven't even touched the vocoder in my Ion since i first purchased it. talk about after-thoughts...

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 pm

SWAN wrote:mmm luck Xpanda!

Quite an expensive way to get a vocoder tho for me.....I was thinking about the MAM VF11 / FAT Procoder /Next whatever.....they seem popular.....but for now I will have to do with my Boss SE70.....would like to know what Daft Punk use......

I thought this post may have been from the phantom 'vocoder' poster-who cracked me up-when I first joined this forum it seemed like the most absurd thing that some guy was winding you up posting about vocoders....I mean-thats ridiculous
$750 used is what i paid, not too bad. i seriously considered the MS2000b, Alesis Ion (since it was 40-band, i thought that might be interesting), and the Radias. Radias won!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 am

michael stein wrote:Microkorg!! definitly a microkorg... haha.....no really, I would like to know this too....it seems they use pitch correction software sometimes too? What does Chromeo use as well, their vocal processing sounds very similiar to daft punks at times.
This is super OT, but welcome to forum. I've seen your bent SK before and I found it quite impressive. I'd love to see your setup in the appropriate thread.
so what do I put down here now?

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 am

Wow, 7 replies and noone has brought up the obvious yet. And I'm not talking about a vocoder.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:22 am

neandrewthal wrote:Wow, 7 replies and noone has brought up the obvious yet. And I'm not talking about a vocoder.
wow, i'm maybe too tired to figure out what that's a reference to... Antares, talkbox, etc.

i just remembered i'm going to see Daft Punk in a couple weeks in Berkeley- woo-hoo!!!
Last edited by xpander on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 am

nord modular does some nice vocoding .
theres a korg one like the ms, not got time to find the model name . its nice though .
old roland one ?
dp probably have the lot .

mirt

Post by mirt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Some time ago i have electronica em16 - soviet vocoder with strings, it was best vocoder i've ever heard, dirty and agresive,
now i've k-station with vocoder presets but they are flat

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Tyler2000,
Thanks for the welcoming! I will definitly post some studio pics, but for now there are some older photos of my set-up here on my music page: www.myspace.com/sureoksureok

animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:48 pm

mirt wrote:Some time ago i have electronica em16 - soviet vocoder with strings, it was best vocoder i've ever heard, dirty and agresive,
now i've k-station with vocoder presets but they are flat
Ive seen that soviet em16 on ebay...in fact there are a couple auctions on ebay right now, the guy is trying to sell it for 400$. I was wondering how the strings sounded on it...the vocoder sample sounded nice. I like this thread because i am in the market for a vocoder.

Hows the PAIA rack vocoder?
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101