What's your favorite brand of synthesizer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Well exactly. Korg have always had a reasonable attitude to their prices too unlike some.

User avatar
animehair
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Sequential Circuits and Dave Smith Instruments
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

User avatar
Pighood
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am
Location: yerbutt

Post by Pighood » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Don't have a hardware favorite. I have one each of Access, Alesis, Ensoniq, Korg, Roland, Waldorf, DSI, Clavia & Doepfer.

Software: no contest...Native Instruments.

User avatar
West_Berliner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:04 am
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

for me..

Post by West_Berliner » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:37 pm

clavia i would think......i had two waldorfs and couldnt find a spot for the sound in my music....that said that was a long time ago, and i dont think i had the patience to program the xt.....
i think the virus would work for my music, but i have no money to get one at the moment.....eventually though ill pick up a C...
so i guess clavia is my final answer. Native Instruments for VSTs.
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

User avatar
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:04 am
Gear: Check my sig
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 pm

It's a hard call and in some ways I am more attracted to individual synths than brands. However I think KORG have excellent vintage synths like the PS, MS range and the PolySix and Mono/Poly and I respect how they'll take risks by implementing a lot of uncommon features into their gear. Much more interesting than the Juno/Jupiter in my personal opinion. Moving on to the Wavestation and OASYS we now have today.

As for American stuff? Don't know much about it. Moog have some great synths of course, but some turds too - many overrated I feel. I think SCI are a good bet as the Prophet range is class and the VS was something new at the time. Dave was often one step ahead of the pack.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
totallyfrozen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Earth

Post by totallyfrozen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:48 pm

8bit9bot wrote:... the first synth i ever had was the dx-21... i got it when i was 4 and it was brand new...
You were given a Yamaha DX synth when you were 4? Wow...I was playing outside with sticks and little green army men when I was 4.

I admit it. I'm jealous...but happy for your opportunities.

I'm just dying to know, what does a silver spoon actually taste like? :wink:

(just kidding) :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Synthacon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:57 pm
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths
Location: Synth Heaven - UK

Post by Synthacon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 pm

I seem to always have Roland gear :?

However really like RSF, Syton, Elka and Waldorf stuff. Got a soft spot for a few Oberheim's as well :lol:
You always want just one more Synth!

burns46824
No Longer Registered

Post by burns46824 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Overall, I'd have to say Yamaha. They've made the best analog and digital synths ever: the CS-80 and the DX-7.

Not to mention their products almost never fail and the quality is fantastic...

Then again, this is a hard one! I'm surprised that people have claimed that Roland's "golden period" was '76-'81. I think it's more like '81-'86!

I do love PPGs as well. They are very interesting sounding, but useful at the same time. White Feathers anyone?

User avatar
kogmachine
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:03 am
Gear: Probably way too much gear
Location: Toledo
Contact:

Post by kogmachine » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 pm

jupiter8 wrote:Have'nt met a Roland analog i did'nt like yet and i've tried most of them. Sure some are fairly limited but they sound really good.
I know for certain Roland is a good brand, just never played an analog Roland. Pretty much just the Fantom X series. I do own a SP-404 that I'm kinda disappointed in, but have chosen to keep it cuz a sampler is essential in the music I make. I bought my friend a R8 drum machine that he's been letting me use for some time that I am pretty pleased with. I only wish it had better MIDI functions and work more seamlessly with my DAW. I'm looking at the SH-201 to compliment my ION. Oh I did play on the Juno G but it doesn't have enough knobs to make it a good analog modeling synth. I hate poking around menus.

User avatar
MPS
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:20 am
Real name: Rod
Band: Atomic Shadow
Location: wild wild west

Post by MPS » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:00 pm

kogmachine wrote: I'm looking at the SH-201 to compliment my ION. Oh I did play on the Juno G but it doesn't have enough knobs to make it a good analog modeling synth. I hate poking around menus.
If you want something to compliment your Ion, check out the Alesis Fusion. You can nab a second hand 6HD for not much more than that Roland board. It will take you places that few other synths can go. Unless you want to spend about $7,000.00. If you do... then nevermind.

Check out some of the user demos here...
http://fusioneer.proboards102.com/index.cgi

The Hollow Sun banks have many classic drum machine, synth, keyboard and sampler sounds. The thing is a sampler and an FM synth. The VA engine is in many ways able to get much more complex than the Ion. As one wise person said, it is an electronic mucic studio. Eight tracks of audio bolted on for good measure.
Last edited by MPS on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

wesleymino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Post by wesleymino » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Roland for reliability and usability

Korg for zaniness

Crumar for psychedelics

Moog for warmth and soul

Yamaha for delicacy

Oberheim for the perfect balance of smooth and chunkyness

User avatar
kogmachine
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:03 am
Gear: Probably way too much gear
Location: Toledo
Contact:

Post by kogmachine » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 pm

MPS wrote:
kogmachine wrote: I'm looking at the SH-201 to compliment my ION. Oh I did play on the Juno G but it doesn't have enough knobs to make it a good analog modeling synth. I hate poking around menus.
If you want something to compliment your Ion, check out the Alesis Fusion. You can nab a second hand 6HD for not much more than that Roland board. It will take you places that few other synths can go. Unless you want to spend about $7,000.00. If you do... then nevermind.

Check out some of the user demos here...
http://fusioneer.proboards102.com/index.cgi

The Hollow Sun banks have many classic drum machine, synth, keyboard and sampler sounds. The thing is a sampler and an FM synth. The VA engine is in many ways able to get much more complex than the Ion. As one wise person said, it is an electronic mucic studio. Eight tracks of audio bolted on for good measure.
Yeah, when the Fusion came out I began to drool. Maybe I'll get the 6HD instead of the Yamaha SY-99. Good choice?

User avatar
WDW
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:46 am
Real name: WD
Location: Neverwhere

Post by WDW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:02 pm

I do not think that I can reduce all of my favourites into just one company. However, I can easily state that my favourite single synth is the Yamaha CS80.

WD

User avatar
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 am
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood
Location: California, US

Post by killedaway » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:27 am

for me, it's Korg.

i'm surprised to see so many others looking at Korg in the same light as i do: i find that they take some big risks, and of all the "big guys", they seem to try really hard to please fans of their gear. i think Roland has been playing it WAY too safe for several years now, and though i own a few of their products, i look at them more for "basic" stuff and not cutting-edge innovation.

i also think Korg sometimes bungles their attempts at unique and useful gear, but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

after Korg comes Yamaha. hooray for pounding FM into our faces ad nauseum. serioiusly, how many FM synths/modules did they make?! :wink:
1.5.9.13
1.5.9.13

User avatar
AudiosEnvy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:21 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by AudiosEnvy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 am

killedaway wrote:for me, it's Korg.

i'm surprised to see so many others looking at Korg in the same light as i do: i find that they take some big risks, and of all the "big guys", they seem to try really hard to please fans of their gear. i think Roland has been playing it WAY too safe for several years now, and though i own a few of their products, i look at them more for "basic" stuff and not cutting-edge innovation.

i also think Korg sometimes bungles their attempts at unique and useful gear, but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

after Korg comes Yamaha. hooray for pounding FM into our faces ad nauseum. serioiusly, how many FM synths/modules did they make?! :wink:
Ditto on this one. And at least Korg gave a damn good attempt to re-do their heavyweight VA line. The other companies are sleeping at the damn wheel.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

Post Reply