fell in love with my JX-8P gonna buy another aftertouch is m

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
silversurfer1919

fell in love with my JX-8P gonna buy another aftertouch is m

Post by silversurfer1919 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:50 am

need help from more experienced knowledgeable synthesists on the JX-10 ((8P)) relate

Im gonna buy another one this time a JX-10

the reason why is my JX8P i own now has problems with its aftertouch like i heard they were manufactured bad this is not uncommon for jx8ps and i was wondering if the JX-10s suffered the same fate I hear the JX-10s are powerful 2 jx-8ps in one

so can anyone give me any buyers advice on the JX-10 are they better built did they expereince any problems in manufacturing as in the jx-8ps??? how much should i spend on one??

memo

Re: fell in love with my JX-8P gonna buy another aftertouch

Post by memo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:56 pm

silversurfer1919 wrote:the reason why is my JX8P i own now has problems with its aftertouch like i heard they were manufactured bad this is not uncommon for jx8ps and i was wondering if the JX-10s suffered the same fate I hear the JX-10s are powerful 2 jx-8ps in one

so can anyone give me any buyers advice on the JX-10 are they better built did they expereince any problems in manufacturing as in the jx-8ps??? how much should i spend on one??
The JX-10 can suffer from the same aftertouch issue as the JX-8P. It's a great sounding board, and having a dual engine is great for fat pads and strings, but it's a bit harder to program than the JX-8P due to a convoluted patch/program setup, and more button presses to access parameters.

I've seen the price range from $250 to $550, depending on condition, whether it's on eBay, Craigslist, or a local store, and other factors.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Whatever you spend, put someting aside for a bag of commas. You might like them. ;)

MarkShovel

JX-10 and JX-8P

Post by MarkShovel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 pm

I've got two JX-8Ps and a JX-10. I've actually got one of the better "Jump" patches on my JX-8P. The JX-10 has great layered patches. It has the "final countdown" layered brass patch. Someday, I will attach the two JX-8Ps to the JX-10 in split mode.

I think that an enternal midi controller sending velocity data to the JX-8Ps and JX-10 is the best way to get around the keybed issues.

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

TAV

Post by TAV » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:46 pm

I would seriously consider getting an MKS-70 over a JX10. Same sound engine, but later versions had much better midi spec. Also you can use a modern controller with out any issues with after touch. :D

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm

TAV wrote:I would seriously consider getting an MKS-70 over a JX10. Same sound engine, but later versions had much better midi spec. Also you can use a modern controller with out any issues with after touch. :D
the same route as I did :) but I should say that even looks simple, the JX-10 has some mighty factor to it's appearance, specially with the PG-800 on top of it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:29 pm

The aftertouch on all older Roland gear sucks in my experience. More like afterforce, because that's what you'll need to get the damn thing to work.

Just a heads up. ;)

gs

Post by gs » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 pm

The aftertouch problem is repairable if you either replace the graphite strip, or re-graphite the old strip. I have cleaned individual key contacts on my JX-10 but never attempted the AT repair. Honestly, I don't think it's a huge issue, at least for me. If I need the AT for expression, I will MIDI it to another synth that doesn't have the problem.

And yes I agree with the appearance of the JX10 with the PG800 on top, it is truly a thing of beauty and grace. 8)
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Whatever you spend, put someting aside for a bag of commas. You might like them. ;)
oh shizzle...!
Do you even post on vse bro?

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:04 pm

I,m not an expert - but recently got a JX8P with non functioning aftertouch. From what I understand the problem is due to the metal used, which quickly oxidizes and thus won't transmit current. This can be easily fixed by cleaning the metal contact in question. I thought of doing this myself as it seemed more a time cvonsuming thing than a difficult tech thing, but also heard that when you opened up and tried to get at parts, it needed some experience and could risk doing damaged - my JX8P has been out having the aftertouch serviced (supposedly) for many weeks now. presumably the tech guy has a backlog and is not sitting there muttering f$#king roland aftertouch! I'll keep you posted if you like. felt like a problem worth sorting to me.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

psiapir

Post by psiapir » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 pm

gs wrote:The aftertouch problem is repairable if you either replace the graphite strip, or re-graphite the old strip. I have cleaned individual key contacts on my JX-10 but never attempted the AT repair. Honestly, I don't think it's a huge issue, at least for me. If I need the AT for expression, I will MIDI it to another synth that doesn't have the problem.

And yes I agree with the appearance of the JX10 with the PG800 on top, it is truly a thing of beauty and grace. 8)

I've found that re-graphiting the strip will do... be aware, it can be overdone. and it is a*s. I did that mistake... with a feather's touch it was screaming as if I hit a hammer against it before the overhaul (or worse).. A more subtle touch did its job.. But, if I was to commit a choice, I'd opt for MKS70 and get a nice controller/synth (e.g. dx7 - having both - decent synth and a great keybed... no 76 keys tho :/)

and yes... JX10 is such an elegant and yet mysterious beastie in its appearance..
A delight synth to have...

Cheerio
Roland Alpha Juno 1 | Roland Super JX + pg800

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:06 am

I have a JX8P and I've done the aftertouch repair. The instructions on the web are very good and it only took me an hour or two one Friday night. It does wonders for the machine and you don't have to force the keys at all once it is fixed. I recommend buying some graphite at a hardware store and using that as one of the 2 or 3 descriptions of this procedure on the web does. There is only one tricky aspect to the repair, which requires you to sandwich a long metal strip along with the conductive rubber strips beneath a long black rubber strip. That takes a little patience and a couple tries to get it right, but otherwise it was fairly easy. (removing all the keys is tedious, but not difficult).

On a related note… everyone here is suggesting using an external newer MIDI controller to control the aftertouch. My question: what modern controllers even HAVE aftertouch? So many I've seen do not. Any ideas?

stoutmasterd

Post by stoutmasterd » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Last year I fix the the aftertouch problem on my JX-10 and it works great. I followed the guidance I found on the internet, but I used powdered graphite instead. Just take your time since the entire process will take one or two evenings. While you have all the keys out, it would be worth your time to clean all the key contacts as well. Since using the powdered graphite, the aftertouch is more sensative when you test it against the factory patches, so you will need to dial down the aftertouch settings when you are done. Both the JX-8P and JX-10 are great synths. I am having fun using the split mode on the JX-10 for the synth parts for Journey's Seperate Ways.
Gear: JX-10 with PG-800, Juno 60 with Kenton DCB-MIDI Converter, MKS-20, KC-350 and a whole lot of fun playing classic rock.