Sherman filter bank or Metasonix added to my setup?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Sherman filter bank or Metasonix added to my setup?

Post by michael stein » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:43 pm

I am considering buying a standalone unit that will allow me to easily get that overdriven tube/feedback sound. In my opinion all the metasonix demos almost sound the same for every product so I am thinking it might not be to versatile. At one time I wanted a Metasonix oscillator but then I read it could only be pitched to scale for only an octave or two. So, now I am considering getting the Sherman filterbank. What are anyones opinions between the two products? Lets say if I wanted to end up with something close to the........? might be cliche but, the "Justice" sound.
Thanks,
-michael-

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:52 pm

the sherman filter shouldnt be called a sherman filter.....it should be called, you are only getting super harsh ear ripping gut turning sounds out of this machine that would have preachers want to perform an exosrist on the spot.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:53 pm

never played with a metasonix device before, but i am sure that these are two very different machines. if you are only looking for nasty feedback sounds, i would say go with the relative simplicity of the metasonix product. the sherman is very versatile, sometimes too versatile, i'd say, and it can take a long time to really find the sound you want. the fun part is that you come up with a million other cool sounds in the process, sounds you couldn't even imagine getting using other devices.

i love the sherman, and i'd be willing to bet it can get nastier than the metasonix stuff, too.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks hey_timj,
i think the sherman makes more sense, (i'm sure it can be subtle? at times?). Time to save $$$.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 pm

wiss wrote:the sherman filter shouldnt be called a sherman filter.....it should be called, you are only getting super harsh ear ripping gut turning sounds out of this machine that would have preachers want to perform an exosrist on the spot.
It's only called that by people who haven't gotten into it...yes it's no Moog ladder, but you can get some beautiful, delicate sounds out of it once you know how to look.
virb.com/ookpikk

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:07 pm

michael stein wrote:Thanks hey_timj,
i think the sherman makes more sense, (i'm sure it can be subtle? at times?). Time to save $$$.
my answer is: not really. i mean, unless you just mix in more of the dry signal. it really makes your sound dirtier, no matter what the settings are on it. definitely, some sounds are dirtier than others but i don't think i've ever got it to behave smoothly. it's for being unpredictable.

every piece of gear has sort of a default personality. it's possible to stray outside of that personality sometimes, but those are the exceptions.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 pm

there are two filters that got me interested lately, on is the VF-1 and the other is the sebatron copernicus, looks like both going to be a nice alternative selection too.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
wiss wrote:the sherman filter shouldnt be called a sherman filter.....it should be called, you are only getting super harsh ear ripping gut turning sounds out of this machine that would have preachers want to perform an exosrist on the spot.
It's only called that by people who haven't gotten into it...yes it's no Moog ladder, but you can get some beautiful, delicate sounds out of it once you know how to look.
+ 1 with emphasis

User opinions of the Sherman filterbank generally are ignorant and snoozy unless the person meets the following requirements:

1. They've owned one for at least 6 months and used it on many tracks
2. They make something besides loud, distorted banging dance music all the time

Above all, the Sherman is a semi-modular synthesizer minus oscillators. There is a 3-shape LFO, 2 EGs, FM and AM. It isn't just an envelope-follower+distorted filter box....that's only about 10% of what it does well.
If you can't imagine what else to do with it, then it's probably not for you...after all there are plenty of other ways to 'destroy your sound' - I use the FB for creating new ones. That's what a synthesizer is for.

The gain oversaturation is entirely avoidable. Keep the input under 4 for most signals and you should be fine. You might want to plug a dummy cord to the ADSR-in to keep the gate open, or set it to 'sensi-trig'(mk 2 only). You may also wish to compress the signal before sending it through the Sherman. It does love to distort, albiet in quite a musical way after much practice...

Proof:

Except for the bassline(fr777), the following clip was made entirely by running 3 tracks of bland vanilla Supernova 2 patches ( a simple 2-osc patch & white noise) through the filters, LFO and FM mods on the Sherman:

http://www.awrongturn.com/shaft9000LUSHATMOSPHERES.mp3

note: the 'fluttering chord' effect is a re-process to give further LFO & AM to the chords. In other words, it was recorded going through the Sherman, then sent outboard and processed thru the Sherman again before mixdown.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 pm

I'v got a metasonix tm1, but have never used a filter bank. I'd say go with the filterbank as it must be way more versatile than the metasonix i have, - which is unique, but limited. I love the concept of tubes randomly messing up the signal and it goes well with strong analogue signals - but is v fussy. If you put something too subtle/weak through it, then it gets underfed. They advise putting signals through a distortion/preamp - we're talking rough treatment here. Personally using high tech to get a low-fi sounds works for me. But.....
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:28 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:
+ 1 with emphasis

User opinions of the Sherman filterbank generally are ignorant and snoozy unless the person meets the following requirements:

1. They've owned one for at least 6 months and used it on many tracks
2. They make something besides loud, distorted banging dance music all the time

Above all, the Sherman is a semi-modular synthesizer minus oscillators. There is a 3-shape LFO, 2 EGs, FM and AM. It isn't just an envelope-follower+distorted filter box....that's only about 10% of what it does well.
If you can't imagine what else to do with it, then it's probably not for you...after all there are plenty of other ways to 'destroy your sound' - I use the FB for creating new ones. That's what a synthesizer is for.

The gain oversaturation is entirely avoidable. Keep the input under 4 for most signals and you should be fine. You might want to plug a dummy cord to the ADSR-in to keep the gate open, or set it to 'sensi-trig'(mk 2 only). You may also wish to compress the signal before sending it through the Sherman. It does love to distort, albiet in quite a musical way after much practice...

Proof:

Except for the bassline(fr777), the following clip was made entirely by running 3 tracks of bland vanilla Supernova 2 patches ( a simple 2-osc patch & white noise) through the filters, LFO and FM mods on the Sherman:

http://www.awrongturn.com/shaft9000LUSHATMOSPHERES.mp3

note: the 'fluttering chord' effect is a re-process to give further LFO & AM to the chords. In other words, it was recorded going through the Sherman, then sent outboard and processed thru the Sherman again before mixdown.
+2

i am actually borowwing shaft9000's SFii right now, and i was imdeiately turned off when i started using it mostly because of what i thought was its "one trick" it makes soounds sound MEAN, but i spent some more time with it over the last day and decided there is a heck of a lot more it can do, by adding charachter that can be anywhere from agressive to warm to weird and most places inbetween!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 pm

heh, i see you like it better already, D. Careful...the FB2 can inspire massive GAS :lol:

btw that MEK is a blast, thanks again!
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:42 pm

It's only recently that I've come to appreciate how well the Sherman's envelope follower works. None of this harsh flutter on the note decay.
virb.com/ookpikk

dthestampede

Post by dthestampede » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:58 am

gotta get a sherman fb someday. anyways i got an agonizer and it is overwhelmingly strong. loud when bypassed strong. nothing close to original signal strong. very F#CKIN SWEET but limited in its usefulness.
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:28 pm

this goes in sound production

warned.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Filterbank 2 Rack... will be mine soon. The Filterbank series are some serious beasts and are more of a synth add-on then just a filter.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]