Lil Phatty vs Gforce Minimonsta

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
parke02

Lil Phatty vs Gforce Minimonsta

Post by parke02 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes, I know... I'm comparing hardware vs software and different synths altogether.

Does anybody have both or has done an A/B comparison of them?

I demo'd the Phatty at GC for a good 30 minutes and was having a blast.. I'm just not sure if I can justify the purchase of it seeing as how the Minimonsta is a pretty solid emu of the Minimoog.

The thing is, I don't have any room for it or the $ for it. I'd have to sell my Prophet 600 for it..

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:58 pm

they're both great - i have A/B'd them and there are not really any surprises.... one is an easily programmable hardware mono, the other a great sounding emulation of the classic minimoog. for practicality and function, i'd probably say go for the minimonsta, because i am addicted to the flexibility that software offers me. and it's much cheaper. but of course, the phatty will have better resale value later on. and it's a real blast to play. either way, you can't lose.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 pm

i myself stray away from the soft's and i do own a little phatty and i must say that nothing will ever replace the feeling like owning the real thing.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 pm

I've got a LP, Voyager and Minimonsta. There have been a couple times where I've been using a controller keyboard and thought I was playing the LP or Voyager but was in fact had the Minimonsta track selected in Logic. It's one of the nicer sounding softsynths I've played. If you don't have space or money to burn I think that Minimonsta would work out pretty well. On the other hand I have more fun with the Little Phatty because it's a real instrument and I can actually interact with it. Using a controller, midi interface and laptop isn't quite the same to me. Have you thought about a Creamware Minimax? Not as expensive as a Little Phatty and sounds great...at least from what I've heard in demos.

parke02

Post by parke02 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks guys.

I have hardly been touching any of my soft synths at all lately. I've only recently discovered how much more fun it is to program/play hardware synths, although now I have to deal with latency and midi recording issues.. and I'm also quickly finding out how sloppy my playing is and how convenient midi is

I have thought about the Minimax. I've read nothing but great things about it as well. I don't have any desktop room for it though. Besides that, I think I'd be a lot happier saving up a little more for the LP than the Minimax.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm really astonished to read that minimonsta and minimax sounds the same as a LP... really.. they sound good but thay haven't THE moog sound. I admit there are some sound you can do with every synth but.. please...

jonkull for example.... why do you have all that analog gear ? go all softsynth if it's the same. I don't want to hurt anybody but it's like if you own a ferrari a porsche and a lamborghini and you suggest buying a racing videogame becouse it's the same feeling... :?

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 pm

parke02 wrote:I have thought about the Minimax. I've read nothing but great things about it as well. I don't have any desktop room for it though.
The MiniMax is 19" wide. Custom rack ears...? :-)

WD

N8sound

Little "monster" Phatty

Post by N8sound » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:41 pm

xibalba wrote:i myself stray away from the soft's and i do own a little phatty and i must say that nothing will ever replace the feeling like owning the real thing.
Word ;)

My LP is not going anywhere.

Softsynths can be tweaked to sound fat but screw relying on a laptop.
I like the real deal anyway.

+ everyone and their moma makes music now
super easy programs and auto beat slicers and pre made synth patches
wack!
But the true musicians program hardware. "Play music"
Its an art
Its not just loading software and scrolling the presets ;)
You can counter the argument all you want but if you dont know how to patch a modular
synth or program a keyboard you are learning in reverse & you will eventually want to learn the basics all over again.

JMO.....

O yea + my friend works in M audios programming dept.
and every time he comes to kick it he drools all over my hardware
and tells me how it blows away the products he is working on.

:P

neandrewthal

Re: Little "monster" Phatty

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:55 pm

N8sound wrote:But the true musicians program hardware. "Play music"
Its an art
Its not just loading software and scrolling the presets ;)
Oh come on, that has nothing to do with real musical talent. That's what really matters. What was used to make the music is of no importance to the listener, only to the musician himself. That said, personally I'm with you on the hardware thing. I loathe software. I demand a tactile interface and knobs all laid out in from of me, but if someone else doesn't, good for him, he will probably be more efficient and get more music done than I do.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:38 pm

The problem I have is that I don't have room (or cash) for a permanent setup. I literally use the kitchen table as my "studio" worktop! Which means I spend less time with hardware than I would like because it's a pain to set it up and put away.

I spend more time with software and it's growing on me. I was thinking yesterday if I should get rid of my hardware, get some good soft synths in and then just buy one hardware synth - a reasonably well specified one (plenty of depth/potential beyond) that I can use both as a midi controller, and also as a standalone instrument for use away from the PC.

Today though, I'm not so convinced. Maybe it was just a touch of GAS, but as I look at my microkorg, nova and EM-1 I realise it isn't a bad little setup, and in a way is kinda modular. If I do spend more time with soft synths - so what? I still have the little brown and blue boxes to play with when the mood and time takes. I guess it's much about using imagination to use resources available as it is about owning lots of gear.

Mind you, I *could* change my mind if an AN1X or a *really* cheap virus turns up on ebay!!!!

So the question is.... if space were limited would you go software, stick with one or two hardware synths or not bother at all? It seems that sound-wise software isn't too far behind hardware, so I guess it's all down to personal circumstances and preferences.

Oh yeah, back on topic - I decided minimonsta should be on my software GAS list :)
Stephen(2)

N8sound

Yea reallllllllllly

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:47 am

:roll:
" What was used to make the music is of no importance to the listener, only to the musician himself. "
Hummm most listeners are musician and to them it does matter.
Well sh|t man my friends in Los Angeles must be picky assholes like me because we all want to see LIVE music not some laptop jockey.

You don't get off on seeing your fav music group live?
So when you go to see a big act you are not impressed with the skill level needed for them to play the music on that big modular synth or the whatever they are playing...
I take it you have never seen Matmos play live
or Skylab or Jamie Lidell or NIN or MUM or Autechre or Massive Attack.......
We are talking about music skills. And programing a
keyboard is a musical skill.

"What was used to make the music is of no importance to the listener"
I beg to differ I know that you have been influenced by some live act.
I know that seeing big music act has pushed me to learn how to program live gear.

I don't know about you but I have seen tons of live acts
and the ones playing on laptops are boring.
HANDS DOWN !
Who cares if you can set up events on your laptop to play your next song automate your filter sweeps. Its not a stage show. Ever if you make stupid faces at you laptop screen and pump you arms in the air.

"stephen" sorry to get away from the real post subject.
If space is a prob I hear you man.
get a MFB synth 2 they are small 4inch tall and 6inch wide
all analog. Also you can get yourself a shelf mount that s**t to a wall
and leave it plugged in so it doesn't stop you when you have an idea.

"virus turns up on ebay"
Get a virus and you will love it!
its digital but you can really work it to sound fat
I have friends who play the synth guessing game with my music and
everyone takes my virus for a Moog.
Go figure.

Good Luck

Peace

steveman

Re: Yea reallllllllllly

Post by steveman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:51 am

N8sound wrote::roll:
" What was used to make the music is of no importance to the listener, only to the musician himself. "
Hummm most listeners are musician and to them it does matter.
Most listeners are musicians? Wow, must be a h**l of a lot more musicians around than I thought ;)
N8sound wrote: Well sh|t man my friends in Los Angeles must be picky assholes like me because we all want to see LIVE music not some laptop jockey.

You don't get off on seeing your fav music group live?
So when you go to see a big act you are not impressed with the skill level needed for them to play the music on that big modular synth or the whatever they are playing...
I take it you have never seen Matmos play live
or Skylab or Jamie Lidell or NIN or MUM or Autechre or Massive Attack.......
Last time I saw Massive Attack there wasn't much evidence of live synth playing on stage, pretty good live band around them though. As for Autechre, I thought they're pretty much all software these days, lots of Max/MSP stuff. I'd be very surprised if they didn't appear with a couple of laptops.
I agree that I prefer to see real hardware on stage, but it doesn't actually look much different from a distance seeing a guy 'playing' a synth vs a laptop, in most cases you can't see what they're doing anyway :)
N8sound wrote: We are talking about music skills. And programing a keyboard is a musical skill.
Huh? Programming the soft version of a Minimoog requires exactly the same musical skills as programming an LP, exactly how does it differ? The only difference is tactile, mouse vs knob. You can 'scroll through a bunch of presets' just as easily on an LP / Virus as on software.
Surely learning the Moog modular software is no different than learning a real modular?

"What was used to make the music is of no importance to the listener"

I agree, and in terms of creating music the 'live' issue isn't relevant.

N8sound

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:03 am

I checked out Massive Attack at Zen fest in 1997-98
and coachella 2006 and they had some keyboards and
other hardware Fx.
Autechre used synths last time I saw them in LA. @ the El Ray.

"Most listeners are musicians? Wow, must be a h**l of a lot more musicians around than I thought "
???Are you really that closed off in the UK that you can't see that 60% - 70% of listeners try to play music after a number of years of influence. even if it is a short time of playing ?????
f**k it all starts with listening.

About the Moog issue'
Have fun with your softsynth and then play the real thing and tell me when you feel that sub bounce the air pressure back in your face that the soft synth is the same, also with hardware you have much more flexible routing. But s**t I have a modular studio @ work, do you?

But I don't know what I am talking about. right?..

my gear can't sound better than your soft synths ..

well back to work.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 am

Great, all we need is another new know-it-all member to brag about his gear/skills/whatever and deride everyone else's.

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 am

Glad you've got a big modular :wink:

Nobody said softsynths sound the same, that's not the argument. I too prefer hardware and a direct tactile interface.

I'm disagreeing in terms of 'musical skill' there's any difference between hardware and a software representation of that hardware, and that most listeners care.

As for % of listeners, I'd say of the people I know who are really into music only 1 in 4 actually try to play something, and of course being into playing music myself some of my friends tend to do that too...

Saw Massive Attack in '97 too, through the Glastonbury mud didn't see that much obvious use of synth hardware, though I'm sure it was there. From my perspective as a viewer it didn't make a deal of difference, it's not like there are big keyboard solos in their music :)

Your argument that software requires less musical skill than hardware is no different than other musicians claiming synth players aren't real musicians.

On topic: a S/H Virus would be my choice.