Lil Phatty vs Gforce Minimonsta

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:14 pm

saw autechre 2 years ago in mpls.

they stared at computers the entire time.

cool music, but they weren't exactly very interesting to watch.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

N8sound

bla bla........

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:44 pm

steveman wrote:Glad you've got a big modular :wink:

I am lucky to have any modular s**t....
each day I give thanks to the Mod God.:!:

To "neandrewthal"
I don't know it all, but if you want to start a discussion try not to turn it in to an argument.

"Oh come on, that has nothing to do with real musical talent. "
WTF? yes programing a music instrument takes musical talent.
Its all part of the set up.
So do you call up your friends to come make your patches for you?
Because I program my s**t.
f**k tell Matmos they aren't using music talent when they play live.
100% of the show is programming live things or tweaking some object.
they take sounds and free style program "play" songs out of them
if that's not a use of musical talent in programming then s**t I will give you a synth. What kind do you want, I like the Sun Synth myself.
anyway I wasn't "talking" to you.
neandrewthal wrote:Great, all we need is another new know-it-all member to brag about his gear/skills/whatever and deride everyone else's.
"I demand a tactile interface and knobs all laid out in from of me"
so do I Senior Member maybe you should direct your energy to a different pastime if you cant take a little chat and post. o or maybe just
MYOB.
o yea just because my SN is new doesn't mean I haven't
surfed this board B4.
s**t you have been on the board for only a year...
sounds like you can Piss Off now "Senior Member"

lets see your skills give me a post a link some f**k thing that will blow me away if you can I will buy your LP paypal work for you? s**t i will shop it around LA for you.
I will make a post kissing your a*s! blow me away.... lets hear the good stuff
deep and thick.
Make it f**k technical layers of raw synths lets hear it.

O I found this nugget of wisdom from your past...
"I wish more developers were using digital technology for more useful purposes, ie: making new sounds and new forms of synthesis rather than modeling "imperfections" and "idiosyncrasies"."
New sounds :roll: your a chump that's your job as a user..........have you ever patched a real synth?
"I demand a tactile interface and knobs" Do you also demand that someone makes sounds for you to play?

Pssssshhhhh get bent & go play with yourself.

"steveman"
yea the interface for most softsynths looks the same
but they have no feel and you cant use control voltage
tweaks on your softsynth :;): BIG Difference.

I hear a ton of synths / keyboard in massive attack
I hear synths out the ying yang
"Black Milk, Karmacoma, five man army" all Pads & synths and drum beat......
"it's not like there are big keyboard solos in their music"
not too many solos but a s**t load of synths.
we can agree they are good right...

Man It looks like a fun time at the Glastonbury mud.

"software requires less musical skill than hardware"
Well.... it requires less skill. Ever tune a modular synth before you play it
that is a musical skill and programming skill.
You will never have to tune a softsynth and you can't do some of the
tricks on them.

"steveman" good discussion

"neandrewthal" send that link...Kiddo

:twisted:

And remember kids brush and floss 2 times a day!

"hey_timj"
I saw them this year and the stage was pack with big glowing boxes of knobs but the venue turned off all the lights and all you could make out were the displays, LEDs and step seq's very impressive show
everyone was wiggling around kind of dancing. its was huge sounding.
frigggin huge must have had a drm1 mkII in the mix the drums killed.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm

neandrewthal wrote:Great, all we need is another new know-it-all member to brag about his gear/skills/whatever and deride everyone else's.
And let's add whine, go off on long defensive rants and make personal attacks. I may have been here only a year but it's long enough to have seen people like you come and go. Can't take a post and chat? I can take a post and chat. I can't take people who in the midst of what should be a friendly argument, say something like "I have a modular studio @ work, do you?" So we're all supposed to convert to your opinion and ignore the other guy because you have a modular studio and he doesn't? And blow you away with my music? Never said I could, why should I try?

N8sound

defensive rants and love for you "Kisses"

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:29 pm

gezz you again..
its about what you said.
"Oh come on, that has nothing to do with real musical talent. That's what really matters. "

Real music talent has to do with knowing how to program your gear just as much as knowing how to Play Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its called performing.
think real long and hard on that one.

I was hoping to hear this musical talent you speak of.

I am sticking with
"Real music talent has to do with knowing how to program your gear just as much as knowing how to play music."
Can we agree on that?

"I may have been here only a year but it's long enough to have seen people like you come and go."
**I see people like you all the time TOO
Your the one paying to see the movies we work on.
Thats the difference in knowing your gear and just playing music.

On that note I need to GO get back to work.
.... s**t I can't automate that part of life.
But Digidesign will come out with a pluggin for that one day too.

O O I know
Playing music makes people want to get new gear. Knowing how to program your new gear then becomes just as crustal of a part of the process as playing it.

Is that a fair statement?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Re: defensive rants and love for you "Kisses"

Post by Carey M » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:40 pm

N8sound wrote:Real music talent has to do with knowing how to program your gear just as much as knowing how to Play Music!
I'd have to disagree. There are numerous fantastically talented people that do not know how to program synthesizers/fx.

And I'd wager Beethoven didn't know how to tune his piano ;)

- CM

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:08 pm

N8sound wrote:gezz you again..
its about what you said.
"Oh come on, that has nothing to do with real musical talent. That's what really matters. "
Ok, I see what you're getting at now, though I never claimed to have any of that :wink: I was just trying to say that that's all you need to be a true musician. I'll agree that programming is an important skill, and could be a rewarding career in itself but I don't think it's essential to being a musician.

Edit: Well seeing as you are into groups like Matmos and Autechre I'll agree that programming is a musical skill in that context, as the two are inseparable. I guess the same goes for movie scores.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Guys! Off Topic is the place for stuff that is Off Topic . I even did all of the hard work for you! http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=29668
virb.com/ookpikk

N8sound

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 pm

OkOkOk :\

Ok so your right on the Beethoven thing.

A level of skill is required to play music and to use gear equally.
I don't care if you sat a child prodigy down at a piano if he didn't know the operation of the sustain then it would be true then that knowing how to run your "toys" is just as important as knowing how to play on that "toy" the child would not be able to achieve the articulation and finer points of playing the music if a step were left out.

I am not saying that anyone who is a programmer can play!!!!!
I live in LA trust me they cant.
but that it is beneficial to the performer to know how to run the gear to its fullest to truly use the instrument.

Is that stated better?

"neandrewthal"
Thank you !!!
I think I was arguing with myself a little too.

some times my wording might come out backwards but yea
thats what I was saying ....

I swear im not a big asshole ;)
But programming and playing go hand in hand when you get to a certain level.

+ Its real nice to see a self reliant musical act instead of a roadie run across the stage to change someones keyboard/Guitar for the next song ;P
same goes for in a studio the less time the better and its true a soft synth will save your a*s in a pinch but as far as a final product Hardware baby!! its just Raw!

sorry to be a d**k!

peace man

N8sound

Post by N8sound » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:43 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Guys! Off Topic is the place for stuff that is Off Topic . I even did all of the hard work for you! http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=29668

Yea I know sorry man we just got in to a big game of net tag.

O yea
I check out your stuff
I like "inaccurate poses"

Later

chipbrain

Post by chipbrain » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 pm

First, Beethoven did know how to tune a piano - it was a part of the then nececery skils of being Beethoven.

I will just have to agree with n8sound of this one-i was playing a lot with softies and i still am and neither of them cudnt touch even the digital triton.Nor atmosphere nor nothing.

But when i bought my Juno-106 and Jp4 - iv suddenly woke up as god has blessed me.

Am not considering myself a purist - but no soft synth cant even touch any analogue - you know why - bcs its analogue and analogue means its analogus to nature.In these synths you have physical oscilators wich literarly shake your synth,and the filters are just...totally another teritory then digital. You simply cannot understand this untill you have a play with one of these. It will change your ears forever. They have a distinct 'real electronic' quality in them - in the sense of hammer hitting a pipe have a real quality sound.Take any song from chemical brothers for exmpl and ask your self why you cant make your softies sound like that?

Yes,the averige joe wouldnt probably care wich is it in the song he listens to - but believe me the chances for him to like the music are 100% greater if there is some real stuff in there.

And these are instruments - you have to b a real musician having played some real instrument in your life to understand what an instrument means - and making a patch is a real art too.When i bought my MS2000 the factory patches were so bad that i initially started thinking the synth isnt good.But when I started to make patches on it (and i consider myself a pretty good synthesist) it all changed like a milion percent.The synth came to life,suddenly started to sound a LOT phater than previosly - it really goes down to exactly what position your cutoff point is...Many ppl complain that the MS2000 sound thin - i just say to them - no it doesnt.Your patches sound thin.etcetcetc...
Roland Juno-106; Korg Poly61; Emax HD; Roland Jupiter 4; Korg MS2000; Roland D-50, m-audio delta 10/10 rack, behringer b2 condenser mic, mc-303, yamaha su200, behringer tube expander/compressor/limiter, mixer, tannoy reveals monitors

N8sound

;) yea

Post by N8sound » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 am

" MS2000 sound thin - i just say to them - no it doesnt.Your patches sound thin.etcetcetc.."

This man knows the way of the synth tweaker too ;)
yea I got a Ms2000 and fell in love with it. If you know how to raise your
voices and really craft out a bangggin patch you can shake the dancefloor with that thing.

"chipbrain" good ups bro!

have you seen the
www.johnbowen.com
scary cool my friend works with him

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 am

post got a little frothy, and i kinda lost the thread. so what was the point in regards to the phatty and the minimonsta?

what was the deal between these two beasts?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:43 am

chipbrain wrote:First, Beethoven did know how to tune a piano - it was a part of the then nececery skils of being Beethoven.
Just goes to show that I don't know nothing 'bout no Beethoven :D

I've had a few goes at the Minimonsta and in my opinion it can sound pretty damn convincing at times. But it didn't blow my brains like the M3X does.

- CM

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Lil Phatty vs Gforce Minimonsta

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am

parke02 wrote:Yes, I know... I'm comparing hardware vs software and different synths altogether.

Does anybody have both or has done an A/B comparison of them?

I demo'd the Phatty at GC for a good 30 minutes and was having a blast.. I'm just not sure if I can justify the purchase of it seeing as how the Minimonsta is a pretty solid emu of the Minimoog.

The thing is, I don't have any room for it or the $ for it. I'd have to sell my Prophet 600 for it..
I have the LP tribute and it's bass and smoothness is well beyond most any other analog short of a modular, let alone any softsynth. I have used many softies like Moog Modular V, Pentagon, Tassman, TimewARP etc., and the difference is very noticeable in use and responsiveness compared to real analog. The LP's in another galaxy when it comes to response and low-end girth.
Not to mention playing in a live setting, or in a dense mix - the LP still makes it's presence felt every time with authority, while the digitals tend to get shrill sounding and worse when you turn it up loud.

If you sequence mostly, and hardly play by hand then the difference is less noticeable. So the question is do you want to make-do and still feel some wanting (MM), or fall in love...(LP) :wink:

I wouldn't sell your p600 just to get a mono unless you're absolutely tired of it, though. The p600 is a fine synth, and you'll kick yourself for letting it go, i reckon. Save up for the Phatty and you'll have a killer combo there.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

chipbrain wrote: Am not considering myself a purist - but no soft synth cant even touch any analogue - you know why - bcs its analogue and analogue means its analogus to nature.In these synths you have physical oscilators wich literarly shake your synth,and the filters are just...totally another teritory then digital.

And these are instruments - you have to b a real musician having played some real instrument in your life to understand what an instrument means - and making a patch is a real art too.When i bought my MS2000 the factory patches were so bad that i initially started thinking the synth isnt good.But when I started to make patches on it (and i consider myself a pretty good synthesist) it all changed like a milion percent.The synth came to life,suddenly started to sound a LOT phater than previosly - it really goes down to exactly what position your cutoff point is...Many ppl complain that the MS2000 sound thin - i just say to them - no it doesnt.Your patches sound thin.etcetcetc...
Hmmm.... You know that the MS2000 essentially is a soft synth in a specialized computer with knobs and keys, don't you? ;)