D-550 battery and Musitronics mod

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gojira

D-550 battery and Musitronics mod

Post by gojira » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:12 pm

Hey guys,

just got hold of a Roland D-550 and a PG-1000 is on the way. Only problem is that the internal battery in the D-550 is flat so I need to replace that. Do I need to dump the memory via MIDI/sysex beforehand? Or if I replace the battery without dumping the memory, will the unit just reset to the factory patches/settings?

Also, does anyone know whether or not the Musitronics ME-X upgrade is still available? I went to the website but the english version of it doesn't load. Is it worth gettig this mod?

Any other tips/tricks/considerations regarding the D-550?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

VJ.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:59 pm

I'm pretty sure you need to dump your patches via Sysex before changing the battery. I need to check on my D-550. I haven't powered it up in 7 years. I know my backlight is dim last time is used it. I should get the battery replaced when I change the backlight.

I don't see a great advantage of having the MEX mod. Yes, it expands the internal memory, but I don't think there's enough available voices to take full advantage of the multi-timbral capability.

From what I can see on their website, it's still available for 69 Euros. Not sure what all that includes. My guess is just the kit and you would need to have it insalled.

Enjoy your synth!

Z

gojira

Post by gojira » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to wait for my midi-to-usb cable to arrive so I can dump the patches to my PC. Is there a particular software I need to use in order to dump them? Never had to do anything like that before, only my second synth/module. I have an AX-60 but its not connected to anything via midi, i just play it live, no sequencing etc.

Cheers,

VJ.

P.S. Also, if anyone has the manual for the AX-60 can you let me know, I posted a repy to an older thread but nobody seems to have responded.