I finally got a VL-Tone!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 am

tom Cadillac wrote:I;v got a pt30 and a mt65. Is the VLtone better than these? Don:t know. I always considered it a cult thing because of its historical place. Anyway if its better I:ll look out for one.

As to playing one live - I gigged the mt65 with an alesis bitrman a while back. It was evil! But I got a good bass sound to batter back at the aggressive bass player. I
These old casio love to meet the effect boxes and I;m sure there:s some much more lovely and delicate things to achieve than what I described...........
Apples and Oranges. The VL-1 can outout some really great bass and lead sounds with the right programming. That's why it's popular. The MT-65 also has synth function, but they are different. So is the PT-30. PT-30 and MT-65 are awesome, but they aren't the VL-1, and vice versa. If you happen on a VL, get it.
Brando wrote:I found a crusty old VL tone at a thrift store for 1 dollar so I bought it cleaned it up, and circuit bent the c**p out of it. Also there is now an ultrabright LED cuz I'm a sucker for glowing....It certaily is a fun little unit
Bent the very c**p out of it? All I've ever seen is a pitch mod.
so what do I put down here now?

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 am

I got the VL-10... VL-1 is waaay too big!!! :shock:

Brando

Post by Brando » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:47 am

Brando wrote:I found a crusty old VL tone at a thrift store for 1 dollar so I bought it cleaned it up, and circuit bent the c**p out of it. Also there is now an ultrabright LED cuz I'm a sucker for glowing....It certaily is a fun little unit
Bent the very c**p out of it? All I've ever seen is a pitch mod.[/quote]

Well, okay maybe that was a little exaguration, but I did find two nice distortion bends that effect the drums and the synth sounds respectively. and of course the pitch pot mod and this other one that does an extreemly low pitch glitchy kind of thing. Apparently there is a way to add a trigger input to trigger the one note play function which I just might add some time maybe. http://plastic4records.com/press/?p=27 actually came from this site http://gieskes.nl/circuitbending/?file=casio_vl_tone looks like fun
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a girraffe filled with whipped cream" - Frank Zappa

Juno 106, SH 1000, EX 800, SK 20, 88 MKI Rhodes, RE-201, MC 505,

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 am

JSRockit wrote:I've been wanting one for years...and keep putting it off...
Mine's for sale.

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Oh, when I think about all the thrift store VL-1's I have passed up.... I could fill a small room with them.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:11 pm

Zonkout wrote:
Oh, when I think about all the thrift store VL-1's I have passed up.... I could fill a small room with them.
why did you do it? I've actually never seen one in a thrift store. The only cheapo casio I bought online.

Tyler2000

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Zonkout wrote:
why did you do it? I've actually never seen one in a thrift store. The only cheapo casio I bought online.

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:27 pm

I never really knew what the VL tone was capable of (aside from the Da Da Da beat)...and $10 always seemed too expensive--even with the case. If I'd seen one for $1 I would have picked it up for fun.

devetron

Post by devetron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 pm

Now available in VSTi flavor!
http://www.polyvalens.com/vl1/index.html
it's a good emulation. Not sample based. The calculator works and all.
Enjoy!!
synths

PitchMode
Gear: MS-20, SH-101, TB-303

Post by PitchMode » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 pm

that vsti doesn't even get close to the dirt and funk that a real vl shits out.
just fork your 5$ over and get a real one.

devetron

Post by devetron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Tell me who to fork over the $5 to and I will. Until then it's either dozens of hours hitting thrift stores or $30-$60 on ebay. I'll let the VSTi satisfy my curiosity.
synths

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 pm

devetron wrote: $30-$60 on ebay.
Really? From what I've seen, they usually for for STG€10, which is $20 ex postage.

devetron

Post by devetron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Yeah. Recent US listings:
http://search-completed.ebay.com/search ... 26fsoo%3D1
They are going crazy like everything else.
synths

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 pm

I'd pay $40 shipped for one in ex cond...but I can never seem to get that done on ebay.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:09 am

My favorite VL-Tone trick: Put it in record mode, then dial the tempo down to its slowest setting, begin recording and play a bunch of random notes really fast. When finished recording, put it back in play mode and dial the tempo up to its quickest setting. You can achieve some really cool effects this way.

Of course a guitar pedal or two does wonders for VL-Tones too.