MEK+PER Has anyone done this?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

MEK+PER Has anyone done this?

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:12 pm

I am auditioning an MEK and really like it...am looking at getting the Poly rack to make it a 5-voice "mini-PEK" :) That's the idea, at least.

Now, in practice: am I going to be jumping back-and-forth between the two units while I'm editing poly patches, or is it all seamlessly editable from the MEK ?
How does it handle voice programming, macro or individual and how does this impact workflow, modifying things on-the-fly, etc. ?

Poly-Chain is supposed to do this, but I anticipate some snags....
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Post by animehair » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:55 pm

i dont own the combo however I have asked about this sort of thing because I also considered this combo...

The mek and per when combined in a poly chain is 100% configurable from the mek interface except for the combo (mulitimberal) mode. The per and pek is literally 4 meks put together. So it has 4 16X4 sequencers (one per voice). You can split the keyboard of a PEK and PER into four spots and have four separate patches linked to each section of the keyboard.

If you poly chain the MEK with a PER you can still do this however not from the interface of the MEK because the MEK does not have the interface to configure multitimberal mode.

go to this site for more info:
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... forum&f=23
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 am

thanks for the link, hair :D
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.

Dave Bryce

Re: MEK+PER Has anyone done this?

Post by Dave Bryce » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:14 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Now, in practice: am I going to be jumping back-and-forth between the two units while I'm editing poly patches, or is it all seamlessly editable from the MEK ?
The latter. When polychained, you pretty much can forget the PER is there.
Poly-Chain is supposed to do this, but I anticipate some snags....
I hope not - we tried to be pretty thorough.

Get this - there's even a bunch of programs in the MEK that were ported over from the PEK, but we left them in their correct polyphonic key modes (since they can't help but play mono in the MEK when it's all by itself) so that when PolyChained they'll behave correctly. 8)

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 pm

thanks for the affirmation, dB

i'll be going this route, as soon as i sell a couple of old pieces...

it's been said before, i imagine - but having a member of the DSI team tell you in a humble manner how well their stuff works is...a great example of customer service in any industry.

DSI's customer support is outstanding and I haven't even bought the gear yet

the modular and OB-X will have to wait...

miket156

Post by miket156 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:23 pm

There was a thread on this site not too long ago that posters related their CS experiences with DSI. Outstanding. These days, getting ANY kind of service, is getting tough. "Service" covered in BS is the norm.

Mike T.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Dave Bryce wrote:

Get this - there's even a bunch of programs in the MEK that were ported over from the PEK, but we left them in their correct polyphonic key modes (since they can't help but play mono in the MEK when it's all by itself) so that when PolyChained they'll behave correctly. 8)

dB
DSI
dB - is this the same, then for the desktop evolver?

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:39 am

shagghie wrote:
Dave Bryce wrote:

dB
DSI
dB - is this the same, then for the desktop evolver?
Only if you load it up with the MEK's programs. :idea: :)

Seriously - as the Evolver was the first DSI synth, it's factory programs were written before there was a PER/PEK, ad really have their own whole thing going on - suffice it to say that there's a lot of sequencer-oriented stuff there. None of those programs even have any key modes, I don't think...or names, for that matter... :lol:

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8