Synth - magic tricks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Synth - magic tricks

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:21 pm

What amazing things have you discovered with your synths that may be worth sharing for others to try out?
Here's mine - on the SQ80 - I modulated the filter 63+ with a pedal and then 63- with the aftertouch and goodness me this made the filter twist and sing.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:51 pm

It's not magic, but stop using low-pass filters all the time. If you have access to HP or BP, use it. If not, find some. Route things through more than one filter, and sweep the settings differently.

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:38 pm

I use a hammockfilter to get the wails going. Just be sure to control the flow and the pollution, it can get wet if you fall!!! :cyclopsani:

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Stacking and re-processing the two voices of my ea-1.
MIDI IN-> MIDI OUT
Part 1 ch: x
Part 2 ch: x
Part 1 out to external in.
Voila, fun times.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:52 am

Since my audio interface is like a giant universal patchbay, I can make anything f**k up anything else! In a way, it makes my studio one giant modular built out of individual synths.

I love running synths through eachother.

Running anything through my Andromeda.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:25 am

Speaking of modular synths:
Tired of not having polyphony? Run the Andy into the modular!
Can insert it at any point, like before the filter. Just route an Aux out from the mixer or whatever into a filter input, and voila.
But you should go through a mixer with phantom power (pre-amp) so the signal is Line Level before going into the modular synth, or it'll be very low signal.
You just replaced the boring mono VCO with 16 poly voices of joy! You can insert it anywhere you want really, doesn't have to be at the filter. Can treat the synth signal as any other audio-rate signal.

I do it alot, and mess up the sound in a glorious way throughout the modular system.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:43 am

Break the synth in first by removing the case and anything else that requries less screws than the manufacture added to keep the thing together. Not really, when I do get a new synth I try to leave the clear vinyl plastic on the LCDs as long as possible. I've worn the paint off in places but the plastic over the LCD looks as good as the day I bought it.
Last edited by Zamise on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

phwb

Post by phwb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:51 am

Bitexion wrote:Speaking of modular synths:
Can insert it at any point, like before the filter. Just route an Aux out from the mixer or whatever into a filter input, and voila.
But you should go through a mixer with phantom power (pre-amp) so the signal is Line Level before going into the modular synth, or it'll be very low signal.
You just replaced the boring mono VCO with 16 poly voices of joy! You can insert it anywhere you want really, doesn't have to be at the filter. Can treat the synth signal as any other audio-rate signal.

I do it alot, and mess up the sound in a glorious way throughout the modular system.
What does phantom power have to do with any of this?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:59 am

phwb wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Speaking of modular synths:

What does phantom power have to do with any of this?
They're running it into a mic jack, at mic levels probably not line level I'm betting. Mic levels comes in really low usually so it gets a boost, maybe theirs kicks in with a phantom power/mic switch or something like that. Mic levels get boosted, line levels stay about same level in and out for me. Probably means they are using XLRs out from the mixer too, but the power boost for the phatom is not going to anywhere like it supposed to for a powered microphone, but it is getting a boost none the less when input is switched to phantom/mic maybe, so they've got the mic level boost confused with phatom power since some mics need to be powered that way to work, maybe I'm guessing ::scratches head too::
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 am

Phantom power does not boost audio levels. The whole point is that it's "phantom" you don't know it's there unless you need it to provide power for the little amplifier in a condenser mic or a DI box, basically.

Detuning: always detune more in the positive direction than the negative. For example osc 1= +12 cents, osc 2 is -6 cents. or osc 1 +3 cents, osc 2 -2 cents. "Sharp" is much easier on the ears than the more common "flat" detuning. For the same reason, pianos are "stretch" (i.e. sharp) tuned above about A 440.

phwb

Post by phwb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:14 pm

madtheory wrote:Phantom power does not boost audio levels. The whole point is that it's "phantom" you don't know it's there unless you need it to provide power for the little amplifier in a condenser mic or a DI box, basically.
Thank You. As far as I know phantom power is only used to power condenser mics, I've never heard of DI boxes using it though. It' only recommended to send phantom power over XLR and I wouldn't be surprised if sending it to a synth could result in damaging said synth or electrocution.

I suppose that would be like a magic trick with your synths if there were lots of sparks and stuff but I still wouldn't recommend it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Phantom power will not damage your synth, nor will it damage a ribbon or a dynamic mic. If a device is not designed to use phantom power, then to all intents and purposes, there is no phantom power on the line.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:46 pm

Yeah, without phantom power a capacitor (condenser) microphone won't work. It doesn't boost the level at all - that's the pre-amp's job. You should never need phantom power for a synth.

gs

Post by gs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm

I have a ton of tricks (self-discovered) between my DSS1 and the PC1600 controller. Here are a couple off the top of my head:

- The DSS1 lacks portamento, but you can achieve a 2-octave glide by setting the joystick pitchbend range to maximum, and then use a slider on the PC1600 to control the pitchbend (instead of using the waggly little joystick with its center-detent and spring-loaded action). You get a smooth 2-octave glide range without having to return to center position.

- Using an EV-5 expression pedal to control filter cutoff: Turn off the joystick's pitchbend, and assign the left/right movements of the joystick to filter cutoff (just like you can do on DW8000). Plug an EV-5 pedal into the PC1600 jack marked "CV" and program it to control the pitchbend slider (which will now control cutoff instead of pitch!). Too cool, huh?
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 am

If you have a cheaper Yamaha XG-based rompler, try this out:
-Set global keyboard transpose up to +11 (or whatever the max is)
-Initialize a patch
-Set the pitchebend range for the patch to be +24
-Set the waveform to a looping wave of some kind
-Set the keyboard transpose to the top.
-Push pitchbend all the way forward and hold it there. Then play the top 3 black keys on the keyboard. You should hear some weird wavesequences (not just aliasing). If you don't, try out different waves.