Multitimberal Synthesizer Recommendations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
animehair
Gear: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW
Band: Through Samaria

Multitimberal Synthesizer Recommendations

Post by animehair » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:07 pm

I want to add a poly multitimberal synth to my setup and would like some help. Here are my prerequisites:

I dont want a VA but the synth can be either be digital or analogue and needs to be at least 4 part multitimberal costing under 1000$ (used or new). I like something different and unique/uncommon that would go well with my mek.

I already know of a ton of synthesizers from my research but for the sake of completeness I'm asking for additional help in my research to see if something sticks out to me.
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

memo

Re: Multitimberal Synthesizer Recommendations

Post by memo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 pm

animehair wrote:I dont want a VA but the synth can be either be digital or analogue and needs to be at least 4 part multitimberal costing under 1000$ (used or new). I like something different and unique/uncommon that would go well with my mek.
My favorite non-VA digital multitimbral synths:
  • Kurzweil K2xxx series
    Roland JD-800/990
    Waldorf Microwave XT
    Korg Wavestation
Favorite analog multitimbral synths:
  • Chroma Polaris
    Sequential Six-Trak
    Alesis Andromeda
    Ensoniq ESQ-1/SQ-80 (Digital/Analog hybrid)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:49 pm

the Yamaha TG77 is a nice multi timbral digital hybrid with resonance filter. it's cheap and still very capable of producing unique sounds. listen here for some nice demos: http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/fmanager.html?path=music/TG77
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

animehair
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW

Post by animehair » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:53 pm

See I like those suggestions. Ive already considered (and liked) the microwave and wavestations, but he Ensoniq SQ-80 I havn't considered until now, and it sounds HOT in concept.

How about the VFX or SD-1 from Ensoniq? Or the Fizmo? I am unfamiliar with all these synths but in theory I think its what I am looking for.
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Tetra, Jomox Xbase09 SE, Gentoo Linux DAW w/ Edirol Fa-101

memo

Post by memo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 am

animehair wrote:How about the VFX or SD-1 from Ensoniq? Or the Fizmo? I am unfamiliar with all these synths but in theory I think its what I am looking for.
The VFX is interesting. Its ancient CPU is underpowered - if you press a big chord, the LFOs actually slow down in speed. It can also be a bit buggy (like most Ensoniq stuff). The filters are nice for digital, and the transwaves can make for interesting sounds, but I don't think it's a great keyboard.

The FIZMO has a bit more to offer - better filters, smoother transwaves, higher powered CPU, and a better interface.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:09 am

Eµ UltraProteus.

bill H.

Post by bill H. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:10 pm

Something "different and unique" is something you have taken the time to program your own sounds on. It can really be even the most common things.

Potentially the most powerful synth for around $1000 right now is a used Motif ES6. Seriously. 18 filter types. Over 1500 waveforms. Sophisticated effects with eight insert blocks. I don't own one so I have nothing to self-promote. I just want one. i have spent a little time programming sounds on a Motif, and it's not that hard. Structurally everything is pretty much laid out as on an analog synth.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm

I'll always recommend the Korg 05r w or X5dr to threads like this one. They're wonderful-sounding instruments that do an awesome job of playing back multitimbral/General MIDI files.
Last edited by MrFrodo on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

animehair
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW

Post by animehair » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Im not big on the motif's. I don't have specific reasons why, but my brother-in-law has one and although its a nice workstation keyboard its not the right thing for me. It works well for him though...He creates allot of gospel music on it and it sounds great. Personally I would never by a motif to use it as a VA synth...but thats my opinion.

Right now im leaning on the microwave xt because I like the knobs, I like the wide sound abilities (wavetable synthesis can be unique sounding), I like the polyphony, i like the small size, and I think it will blend well with my evolver. Oh and I like the orange color...

Oh I wanted to say that even though "unique and different" will come from programming your own sounds (which I do), synths all have unique characteristics that facilitate certain types of sounds. So the type of synthesizer you use will determine to some extent the uniqueness of the sounds your create.

Diametro

Re: Multitimberal Synthesizer Recommendations

Post by Diametro » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:02 pm

animehair wrote:I want to add a poly multitimberal synth ...

In a world of heard-it-all combis, the preset "Silence" is unique, refreshing and very analog.

"Wind Through Leaves 3" is great when layered with "UFO Landing Nearby."

Not the most versatile sound source, but important nonetheless. A worthy addition.
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

animehair
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW

Post by animehair » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 pm

I found a JD-800 for about 600$ is that a good price?

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:21 pm

animehair wrote:Personally I would never by a motif to use it as a VA synth...but thats my opinion.
Ah, but then you stick a PLG150-AN or 3 in there...

animehair
DSI Tetra
Jomox Xbase09 SE
Gentoo Linux DAW

Post by animehair » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:35 pm

Entropy Farmer wrote:
animehair wrote:Personally I would never by a motif to use it as a VA synth...but thats my opinion.
Ah, but then you stick a PLG150-AN or 3 in there...
Well I stand corrected then...i have no experience with that board but its sounds cool. That changes my perspective a bit.