Roland SH2 Overdrive

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Roland SH2 Overdrive

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:18 am

I noticed a while ago that my Roland SH2 has very cool output (i.e. very quiet). I can help that by increasing the volume but I am concerned that may overdrive the signal. But I was wondering, does the fact the output is quiet mean that I wont overdrive the signal if I increase the synths volume to maximum?

1) Can the SH2 be internally overdriven if its master volume or mixer volumes are at max?
2) If so how can I avoid this overdrive? When does it start overdriving?
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:11 am

i would think a bass bad a*s like the SH2 would sound magnificient through a warm preamp and a compressor.

of course, i dont own an SH-2 but one member especially loves his...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Re: Roland SH2 Overdrive

Post by piRoN » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:32 am

Andy_X69 wrote:I noticed a while ago that my Roland SH2 has very cool output (i.e. very quiet). I can help that by increasing the volume but I am concerned that may overdrive the signal. But I was wondering, does the fact the output is quiet mean that I wont overdrive the signal if I increase the synths volume to maximum?

1) Can the SH2 be internally overdriven if its master volume or mixer volumes are at max?
2) If so how can I avoid this overdrive? When does it start overdriving?
I'm a little perplexed as to why you're asking. Can't you just turn the volume knob up and hear for yourself?
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 am

piRoN wrote: I'm a little perplexed as to why you're asking. Can't you just turn the volume knob up and hear for yourself?
Well, analog overdrive tends to be subtle. I just want to know if there is some conensus on how loud I can make the synth's volume before it starts overdriving (i.e. the A6 will overdrive if the combined mixer levels are greater than 100, where does the SH2 start?).
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Andy_X69 wrote:
piRoN wrote: I'm a little perplexed as to why you're asking. Can't you just turn the volume knob up and hear for yourself?
Well, analog overdrive tends to be subtle. I just want to know if there is some conensus on how loud I can make the synth's volume before it starts overdriving (i.e. the A6 will overdrive if the combined mixer levels are greater than 100, where does the SH2 start?).
The mixer level problem that the A6 has does not apply to other synths.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:23 pm

my sh2 never overdrove, but maybe it did when I sold it.

Great synth. Mine didn't have a 'cool' output...

I don't really get what you're after either, but I'd say go for it, try whatever! If it sounds like s**t, you learned some!

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:36 pm

If you are getting low output, maybe something is not working correctly with the synth.

You wont hurt the synth even if it overdrives. My guess is that Roland engineers would not have let much distortion creep in at and volume setting, so turn it up.

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Just had a play and I have no problem with my SH-2 internally overdriving signals. I had the master volume and the VCO audio mixer up max.

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Since the SH-2 has a sine wave in the VCO section and a drone mode for the VCA, it becomes easy to test.

Test the level with a meter and calibrate your A/Ds to it. Sample the raw sinus output and adjust the knobs, looking for added harmonic content.

This synth makes it easy to find.

I think that added second and third harmonic on low basses is part of the magic growl this synth has.

cheers,
Ian

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 pm

i find the original question sorta pointless. as if u r playing it with your ears turned off. u can hear for yourself all that you ask... or am i missing something?

anyways, SH-2 does not outright overdrive, in a classic (dirty) sense of the word. however it sounds best with volume knob cranked up to the max, yes there's saturation and increased thickness (nonlinear range) happening somewhere along the audio path esp when using sub osc n vco to the max, but that is SH-2 sound character. no inharmonic dirt. just one fat mofo bass synth.

however, if you really have an unusually low output on your unit, then you might need repair. as already stated, forget about A6 mixer levels, that issue does not relate to SH-2.

@tallowaters: amazingly enough, this one, when recording bass, really doesn't need a compressor, it sounds inyourface from the get go. if u check the recording, u can see the waveform being suprisingly even. i definetely needed a comp to get such signal shape on some other boards (incl roalnds like MKLS70/80), and it didnt sound near as good.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Andy_X69

Post by Andy_X69 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Ok thanks guys. Have maxed SH2 volume, no problems I cant fix without boosting input level.

Damn the SH2 is fun :)

cl516

Post by cl516 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:39 pm

i love my SH-2!
the output on mine is pretty hot.

i need a midi/cv converter to sequence this baby

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:07 pm

clusterchord wrote:amazingly enough, this one, when recording bass, really doesn't need a compressor, it sounds inyourface from the get go. if u check the recording, u can see the waveform being suprisingly even. i definetely needed a comp to get such signal shape on some other boards (incl roalnds like MKLS70/80), and it didnt sound near as good.
+1, this is very true. The env shape is just right. Every other synth I have, even the best of them, need a little compression to make the bass right.

Not the Roland SH-2! :D

cheers,
Ian