Roland PG programmers, etc.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland PG programmers, etc.

Postby otto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Excuse my ignorance on this issue but I have a simple question with regards to midi control over MKS/JX synths. Would a cheap Behringer or similar midi-box be just as effective as a PG programmer or is there something I'm missing? The Roland programmers often go for as much or more than the synth its self and it seems that this might be the way to go but surely there is something wrong with my logic or people wouldn't shell out that much for the programmers.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby memo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 pm

A MIDI knob /slider controller cannot be used to replace a PG-200 (JX-3P and MKS30) or PG-800 (JX-8P, MKS70, JX-10). Those two PG controllers don't use MIDI. They have a non-standard connection and proprietary signal path.

It can replace the PG-1000 (D50, D550), MPG-80 (MKS80) and the PG-300 (Alpha Junos, MKS50) providing that the unit can send programmable SysEx messages. Some can only send CC events.

I think the advantage in using the original units is that they're specifically labeled for each function. You don't have to remember what slider/knob you assigned for what function.
memo

Postby gs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:34 pm

The PG800 can be replaced by the Behringer or other sysex-enabled controller.... for the JX8P and MKS70.... but not the JX10. Yes, the PG800 is proprietary, but those 2 synths support MIDI editing via sysex.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M
gs

Postby otto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm

gs wrote:The PG800 can be replaced by the Behringer or other sysex-enabled controller.... for the JX8P and MKS70.... but not the JX10. Yes, the PG800 is proprietary, but those 2 synths support MIDI editing via sysex.

The JX3p does not though? I understand the JX10 midi implementation sucks but the MKS version of it works fine?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Z » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm

I bought a Regalwerk from another VSE member and haven't used it yet. Is it possible to use the Regalwerk to edit a MKS-70?

Z
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby memo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:01 am

otto wrote:The JX3p does not though? I understand the JX10 midi implementation sucks but the MKS version of it works fine?

The JX-3P doesn't respond to SysEx, so it can't be programmed via MIDI. The MKS-30, which is the rack version, can respond via a 3rd party OS upgrade.
memo

Postby memo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:02 am

Z wrote:I bought a Regalwerk from another VSE member and haven't used it yet. Is it possible to use the Regalwerk to edit a MKS-70?

Yes - the Regalwerk can send SysEx strings. Someone may have already created a bank for an MKS70, saving you the time of entering all of the SysEx strings yourself. Look for a usergroup and ask around.
memo

Return to General Synthesizers