Korg PS-3100 Prices

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Like I said... He was giving them away!

Had I known about these, I probably would have bought all of the PSs and sold all but the MIDIed PS3300, which I would have kept.

WD

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 pm

WDW wrote:Like I said... He was giving them away!

Had I known about these, I probably would have bought all of the PSs and sold all but the MIDIed PS3300, which I would have kept.

WD
Like i said:I cried the day i saw that post. (It was after the stuff was already sold).

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm

I sold a fully working PS-3100 with pedals at the beginning of 2005 on Ebay and it went for $3350.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:01 pm

pulse_divider wrote:I sold a fully working PS-3100 with pedals at the beginning of 2005 on Ebay and it went for $3350.
I don't know whether I should thank you for the information, or say "shame on you" for selling it. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:52 pm

I kept one :D
At one point, I had 2 x 3100s and a 3200 all hooked up via the junction box. Now that was a monster.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:57 pm

hey neandrewthal,
Did you get the 3100? I think I spotted the same one you were considering - seems like the price was good, and Canadian (not that there is much difference between CAN and US $ anymore)!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:58 pm

pulse_divider wrote:I kept one :D
At one point, I had 2 x 3100s and a 3200 all hooked up via the junction box. Now that was a monster.
Ah, that makes sense! I once saw a somewhat beat-up 3100 for sale. I think the keyboard was even damaged... I strongly considered buying it to connect to the one I have. Two 3100s would be close enough to a 3300 for my taste. : )
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:24 am

gordwiebe wrote:hey neandrewthal,
Did you get the 3100? I think I spotted the same one you were considering - seems like the price was good, and Canadian (not that there is much difference between CAN and US $ anymore)!
Yup, must be the same one, small world when it comes to these things. I'm going to pick it up tommorow considering everything works (like I would know, everytime I try a new synth I think it's broken until I figure out how to turn of modulation or something stupid) and the "few dings on the wood" were not grossly exaggerated. It has one of the extra jacks modded to be an external input for the resonator instead 8) I've been having some second thoughts about spending so much on a synth with one VCO per voice but considering it's triple resonator, PWM that can be controlled by anything and monstrous polyphony I don't think it should be a problem.

How much was the broken one AG? It would be great to find a busted one for super cheap, chop off the keyboard and stick it on top of a good one.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:24 pm

urgetoplay, you are clearly one fart smellow. i mean one smart fellow.

if anyones got a korg ps3300, we would be interested. got lots of interesting items for trade too...
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:52 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
gordwiebe wrote:hey neandrewthal,
Yup, must be the same one, small world when it comes to these things. I'm going to pick it up tommorow considering everything works (like I would know, everytime I try a new synth I think it's broken until I figure out how to turn of modulation or something stupid) and the "few dings on the wood" were not grossly exaggerated. It has one of the extra jacks modded to be an external input for the resonator instead 8) I've been having some second thoughts about spending so much on a synth with one VCO per voice but considering it's triple resonator, PWM that can be controlled by anything and monstrous polyphony I don't think it should be a problem.

How much was the broken one AG? It would be great to find a busted one for super cheap, chop off the keyboard and stick it on top of a good one.
I'm largely against modding analog synths, but one mod I would strongly consider would be an external input for the PS-3100. That is SO COOL. The one you bought is definitely worth it, if it has that!

The worst thing about the PS-3100 is the "wood." Ugh. Why they put such a fine device in such a lame box, I am unsure. I guess wood was sparse in Japan. ; ) Or, at least sparse enough that they only wanted to use it on the PS-3300. The good news is that the case seems relatively uncomplicated and a person who had even a basic knowledge of woodworking and the right tools would probably be able to make a new case. If not, Wes Taggart makes them.

As for oscillators... yeah, two layers of oscillators would be cool... but you don't need two layers to get the PS-3100 characteristic sound! I have multitracked my PS-3100 before, so I could see what multiple layers sounded like... and really, you're just getting the benefit of detuning, and that's about it. The PS has such cool timbres without multiple oscs that you're really just obscuring the cool sounds it can make for the dubious benefit of a chorus effect! Of course, it would be cool to do envelope pitch modulation, etc. with an extra set of oscillators... but anyway. Seriously, the patching, resonator, and AM sounds should keep you plenty happy and busy enough without needed another layer of oscs!

I don't remember how much the broken one went for, actually. That fact makes me wonder if it was one of those delightful "oh, I'm not selling this anymore because someone made me a great offer" auctions. :)

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The worst thing about the PS-3100 is the "wood."
WHAT? Don't tell me it's polysix style fake wood :x

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:25 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The worst thing about the PS-3100 is the "wood."
WHAT? Don't tell me it's polysix style fake wood :x
Eep.

Um... okay. :?

Okay, I can't lie to you. It's worse. It is worse than polysix/MP4 style fake wood... the veneer comes of even more easily. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:08 am

So I got mine last week. Haven't had much time to get my head around it yet but from what I've heard I'm extremely impressed. The resonator livens up any patch nicely and if you add a little PWM it never sounds "thin" despite only 1 vco per every 4 voices and no sub-oscillator. The guy I bought it from was really cool. He has a pile of vintage synths in his Mom's basement in a very bad neighborhood with 3 pitbulls to guard them. I even got to play around on his 2600 and Jupiter 8 which was pretty awesome as up to now the only analog synths I've played have been the ones I own or was about to buy. I thought I was happy with my synths but this experience got my gas going for the super expensive classics :shock: