alesis ion

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
goober

alesis ion

Post by goober » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:59 am

Is it worth getting over the micron? Also does it not have a drum sequencer cause its not listed as a feature on the main website. I think I've pretty much narrowed down my decision on my first synth either a micron or ion. I really would like the drum sequencer but if its not on the ion I may pick the micron instead.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:52 am

I'm pretty sure the Ion doesn't have the drum sequencer.

goober

Post by goober » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:54 am

it has a normal sequencer though right? also check out this guy's real acoustic imitations with the ion, i almost find it unbelievable how realistic some of the sounds are.
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2005/11 ... hardt.html

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:58 am

goober wrote:it has a normal sequencer though right? also check out this guy's real acoustic imitations with the ion, i almost find it unbelievable how realistic some of the sounds are.
not sure about that. It does have an arpeggiator though which is similar and some preset drum rhythms too I believe.. They're definately good sounding synths.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm

No sequencer on the Ion, but it does have an arpeggiator (and if you are really a glutton for punishment, you can make a pretty convincing approximation of a sequencer by programing the intervals into the tracking generator, triggering it with a ramp wave LFO, and patching the stepped output to note pitch)
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:38 pm

goober wrote:it has a normal sequencer though right? also check out this guy's real acoustic imitations with the ion, i almost find it unbelievable how realistic some of the sounds are.
God damn it, I listened to that and now I'm looking at them on Ebay. It's either an Ion or a DSS-1 + ESQ-m. Not all three. Really. I promised myself. I can stop any time I want. STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Alesis Ion, iPad2 (running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1, iWavestation, Mellotronics M3000HD, & ThumbJam), Roland VR-09b.
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Post by alfadawg01 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Why would you want to create accurate acoustic imitations on an Ion, or any other VA, for that matter? If you want to sound like a tuba, use sample-playback or the real deal. Use VA or RA to create what you hear in your head and what no acoustic instrument can do.

OK. I feel better now. I'll put the soapbox away....

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:00 pm

alfadawg01 wrote:Why would you want to create accurate acoustic imitations on an Ion, or any other VA, for that matter?
Probably for the sheer satisfaction of establishing whether it can be accomplished...? They are very good.

Just sold the Micron I took in part ex on another sale due to its lack of hands on programming control. Forgetting the price difference, the ION is a far more attractive option with the programming interface and larger keyboard. Just watch out for ones with dodgy audio outputs, mine had these (very low output only) and appears could be a common problem.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:18 am

let's accept those "Ion demos" of acoustic instruments for what they are: sound samples on the internet. NOTHING more.

and if you're looking to buy an Ion in order to emulate those sounds, don't bother. save yourself the disappointment.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 am

killedaway wrote:let's accept those "Ion demos" of acoustic instruments for what they are: sound samples on the internet. NOTHING more.

and if you're looking to buy an Ion in order to emulate those sounds, don't bother. save yourself the disappointment.
are you implying that those demos were not made using an Ion or that they would just be too hard for your average user to emulate?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 am

FWIW, Elhard's method for piano synthesis does work, I've rigged something pretty convincing up on my Nord Modular following his ideas.

OTOH, it seems pointless to go to great lengths to emulate real instruments with a VA when there are so many good sample sets out there.

That said, the Ion is a very powerful VA, and very deep. It could use either an analog filter or distortion pedal at the end to warm it up a little, but other than that, it's solid.
virb.com/ookpikk

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:54 am

supermel74 wrote:
killedaway wrote:let's accept those "Ion demos" of acoustic instruments for what they are: sound samples on the internet. NOTHING more.

are you implying that those demos were not made using an Ion
They're not. He claimed they were...but this is the same guy who made the Bahn Sage, and maybe the SMS 2000. He refused to post the patches for download too.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:58 am

Wiglaf wrote:
supermel74 wrote:

are you implying that those demos were not made using an Ion
They're not. He claimed they were...but this is the same guy who made the Bahn Sage, and maybe the SMS 2000. He refused to post the patches for download too.
:shock: Is this guy selling an Ion? If so, that's pretty low if he's intentionally deceiving people to make a sale. Either way it's pretty odd.

goober

Post by goober » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:03 am

nah, he's not selling an ion I just searched alesis ion demos and his site came up.

simplesizer

Post by simplesizer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 pm

hay there
iv not long sold my ion and if you really want to get one i would advise you find a shop that will let you a play it first cos thats what i should of done, i just couldnt get on with it dont get me wrong a nice synth and it looks the nutts but i was so disapointed in it fistly i the menu is a little hard to get on with and unless your standing right over the thing you cant see the lcd display very well or not at all i used it in my band and low light this was well anoing, the metal body if well stong but the keys feel a little flimsy, i really didnt find it that nice or easy to program wich is why i wanted one (mmm all them lovely control knobs) but i found it easer and more enjoyable on my mircokoge and the arp is better on the micro, i did like the taptempo on the ion, but it dose have some really fat synth sounds but acoustic instruments there are far better one out there then whats on the ion
im not saying its a bad synth this is just my points of view i hope this helps
roland juno 6, microkorg, Novation x-station, moog Etherwave
Theremin, thingamagoop, reason, Omnichord.