VAs with Analog Filters.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Sounds like a Rozzbox could be something for you. Comes with digital,analog and even tube filters. Comes in Mono or 5 voice poly. Unfortunatly not availble for the moment. Only God knows when/if they become availble again. IIRC they were'nt that expensive either.

http://www.rozzbox.de/

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 am

calyx93 wrote:Cost vs. Demand - that's the main reason I can surmise.

AFAIK, the only synth to do this (and you probably remember the price tag) was the Q+. Fantastic synth, but it didn't exactly sell by the hundreds.
AFAIK, they (Waldorf) are having another crack at this with the Stromberg. In that it will have expansion slots/modules, one being a tube amp, the other being 16 analogue filters. I'm curious as to whether they are going to integrate the technology from the AFB into it.

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:17 am

DocT wrote:But you aren't the only one not knowing this. That's why Waldorf failed with their AFB 16 filter box. Everybody asked "Who the f needs 16 filters ?"
I played with one of those back in 2003... seems so long ago now, and thought it was pretty cool and I wouldn't mind picking one up. It was kind of expensive though, and if only it had a couple of knobs on it. Plus, didn't it only have USB and/or digital in/outs?

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:09 am

Rusty O'Hara wrote:
DocT wrote:But you aren't the only one not knowing this. That's why Waldorf failed with their AFB 16 filter box. Everybody asked "Who the f needs 16 filters ?"
I played with one of those back in 2003... seems so long ago now, and thought it was pretty cool and I wouldn't mind picking one up. It was kind of expensive though, and if only it had a couple of knobs on it. Plus, didn't it only have USB and/or digital in/outs?
It only worked with a (half finished?) VSTi I think. Too much of a niche item, it was a spin-off from the Q+.

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:58 am

shaft9000 wrote:get a nice filter to use on all your digitals - Ebbe & Flutt, Sherman, jomox M-Resonator, frostwave resonator and several others are all great candidates

i put my Supernova through a Sherman filterbank and it can sound like a Korg PS one minute, a Jupiter 8 the next (use those analog envelopes too!)

So, do most of these stand alone filters have internal LFO and/or ADSR or external CV inputs?
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:50 am

gs wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong... but an external filter will not react to my synths the same way an internal filter would... would it?
Generally, no.

If you are seeking the sound of certain vintage string synths, like the Solina for example, or a Polymoog, then a single external filter can be a good thing... to achieve that "paraphonic" effect.

You can still get some cool sounds by sending a whole polysynth's output into a monophonic filter, as long as you don't mind the envelopes, LFOs and whatever else not being in control of the filter, or lack of envelope articulation on each note. You can even learn a playing technique by manually adjusting the cutoff to articulate solo notes while playing with your other hand.

....but wouldn't the Sherman Filterbank with it's own EG's and LFO solve this issue?

DocT

Post by DocT » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:57 am

sensorium wrote: ....but wouldn't the Sherman Filterbank with it's own EG's and LFO solve this issue?
It would work for a monophonic synth, but, as said, a polyphonic synth usually has a filter for each voice.
Polyphonic filter behaviour couldn't even be emulated if you had a couple of Shermans because there is no possibility to connect synth and external filters in a way that the audio out, trigger out and velocity output of each note is sent to a different filter module.
Rusty O'Hara wrote:and if only it had a couple of knobs on it. Plus, didn't it only have USB and/or digital in/outs?
That's correct. Neither knobs nor analogue ins/outs would have made any sense. The AFB was intended to emulate an internal polyphonic filter module, thus the USB interface provided all necessary connections: audio per voice, trigger and control signals per voice. And the synthesizer that should be filtered by the AFB must be prepared to send all this in an appropriate way.
There is no external synth that does something like that, or do you know a synth that has 16 analogue outs, 16 trigger outs and 16 (better 32 or 48 if also LFO control etc of the filters should be possible) CV outs ? ;)

Remember, the AFB contained like 16 modules of this kind http://www.doepfer.de/a120.htm
16*5 knobs and 16*5 plugs then ? ;)

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:14 am

hmmmmmmmm

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Ok, since most VAs are polyphonic...it's a matter of cost. Oh well...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:54 am

I wouldn't mind a VA polysynth with an analog filter just for the mono mode. if the AN200 have this with a better D/A converter it could easily becoming my favorite. something like that should not be expensive or difficult to make these days.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am

the achillies heel of all VA's in behaving like authentic analogs is not in the filter so much, but in the digital summing (internal signal mixing) and the lack of true VCO behavior.
I'd have no problem with an otherwise completely analog synthesizer using digital E-mu Z-plane filters, for example. But running any VA through an analog filter doesn't solve the VA problem, it just adds 'analog flavor'.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:16 am

Korg prophesy is monophonic.

Don't have much to add to this discussion, aside from 'not all VA's are polysynths'.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Taxidermy wrote:Korg prophesy is monophonic.

Don't have much to add to this discussion, aside from 'not all VA's are polysynths'.
True, but still no analog filter. The MFB Synth Lite II is the only one I can think of with that feature.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:05 pm

a prophecy + an analog filter would probably be pretty sweet though.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:10 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:a prophecy + an analog filter would probably be pretty sweet though.
I'm not so sure...I've never played a prophecy...but I don't think seperate analog filters work the same as built in filters...IMHO. I don't think it is a true substitute.