Who needs a million and one synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:50 pm

23 wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:Haven't you made the exact same thread before? Forgive me if I'm mistaken and it was someone else.
It's a thought I've had before, that's for certain. Just looking at that Moog thread pretty much got my head going in that direction again.....I couldn't help but read through that thread and think "God....what a retard"
haha... i didn't even go so far as to comment on the necessity of owning 4 VERY similar Moogs, but in the context of this this thread, and just thinking how he simply "owned" rather than "played" at least 2 of them (the source and micromoog), I will agree with you...

I'm all for having a varied sonic palette, and I myself am certainly no saint when it comes to synth accumulation, but I see it as more of a journey where I buy/try, keep/sell depending on what it offers (i'm certain JSrockit can appreciate that). there would be nothing worse than just having few glaringly similar synths lying around, for keepers sake... but now we're veering into that "Collector" thread we had not too long ago :!:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:51 pm

23 wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:Haven't you made the exact same thread before? Forgive me if I'm mistaken and it was someone else.
It's a thought I've had before, that's for certain. Just looking at that Moog thread pretty much got my head going in that direction again.....I couldn't help but read through that thread and think "God....what a retard"
haha... i didn't even go so far as to comment on the necessity of owning 4 VERY similar Moogs, but in the context of this this thread, and just thinking how he simply "owned" rather than "played" at least 2 of them (the source and micromoog), I will agree with you...

I'm all for having a varied sonic palette, and I myself am certainly no saint when it comes to synth accumulation, but I see it as more of a journey where I buy/try, keep/sell depending on what it offers (i'm certain JSrockit can appreciate that). there would be nothing worse than just having few glaringly similar synths lying around, for keepers sake... but now we're veering into that "Collector" thread we had not too long ago :!:
Do you even post on vse bro?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Yeah, it is a journey...and it allows you to demo stuff that you never would get a chance to touch otherwise. If I was pro and didn't have to worry about cash...I would have a ton of synths.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:59 pm

I don't see what is so wrong about the Roger video.... guess that makes me a bad man..

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Soundwave wrote:Didn't Vince Clarke have almost every production vintage analogue made or something?
Yeah pretty much. The list of what he did'nt have is probably shorter. :D

My list (probably shockful of errors): No Buchlas as far as i can tell. Probably some of the smaller Moogs missing. MicroMoog and Rouge for example.He has the Mini and a Source
He probably had every Roland mono ever made though i've never seen the SH5 and 7 mentioned. (That's probably wrong though).I wonder if he had the Roland System 100 ? He has a shitload of 100m modules to make up for it. Not so big on the Yamaha CS range though he has a 10 or 15. Not seen any 30,40,60 or 80 mentioned. Can't remember him having a Prophet 5 though he probably has had one at one point or the other.

Other than that nothing springs to mind.

wardshorsehead

Post by wardshorsehead » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:00 am

JUGEL wrote:I don't see what is so wrong about the Roger video.... guess that makes me a bad man..
I agree.

I mean, this is what the guy does for a living. He owned those synths when they were new and used them to make a living.

Certainly no shame in that...

And so now, he has the newest offerings from the manufactuers that he has trusted over the years - Moog and DSI/SCI.

I doubt it is as much an ambition of collecting as it is a matter of not selling off the tools that have served him well over the years when he acquires new ones.

Maybe I don't get it?

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me....
roland rs-09, roland juno-106, roland sh-3a, moog voyager OS, moog little phatty, microkorg, yamaha dx7, casio 1000p, sequential drumtraks, oberheim dmx, boss dr-110, rhodes 54, wurly 200a, hohner planet t.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:50 am

I guess for me its how much 'life' there is in the whole thing. I think synth players are sort of explorers in sound. (Else they'd be playing preset casios.) So I'm always trying things out - getting the most out of a synth by feeling I'v programmed it to its depths. Or combining synths with effect boxes. Etc...And i quickly get bored and move on. So I'm glad I'v got enough gear to cater for this. And it seems a natural and living process of making synth music to do this.

If the synths are sitting around unplayed they are funtionally dead. Time to ship them out maybe?

Also there's the whole madness of getting a new synth to satisfy your urge for new sounds, when the ones you've got aren't fully explred or combinations thereof etc. I mean this just seems dumb - coz as soon as you're on the bottom of the learning curve of a new synth. you've immediately severely reduced your programming and playinfg intelligence.

I keep an addictive eye on the local ads and at the moment and its madness out there - the same guys buying and selling - maybe two synths a week. One of them outbid me on an emu morpheus, while at the same time selling equally complicated gear and bidding on an Ion. Can't fathom it myself. :roll: I lusted after that morheus, but also know i had a lucky escape. I should be concentrating on the synths I'm using in a gig this week. Not struggling with another interface and manual. :shock:
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 am

I love Roger O'Donnell, he's an awesome musician. If his fame affords him all those synths more power to him, he can use them as doorstops if he wants to.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S