No more complaining

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

No more complaining

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 am

okay nerds,

Due to recent events, and the fact that i seem to be the only moderator left, a new rule is implimented.

No bitching about vse, the mods, the admin, or any of that. it will now result in an instant ban. instant.

I can assure you that most all of us have the same goal - we want this to be a good place to discuss, learn, etc. but I have honestly had it with the impotent pissing and moaning that goes on here.

This might seem drastic to those of you that feel a little more entitled than the rest, but try it - next time something gets your panties in a wad - keep quiet. Modding this huge place is a chore for those of us that do it, and i certainly dont mind doing it, but i wont deal with disrespect. i dont put up with it in my class room, my personal life, and i certainly wont deal with from a long distance tough guy hiding behind a username.

make a concerted effort to post things in the right place. dont post in general because it is high traffic. actively flaunting these rules (a genuine mistake is a different story) will result in banning as well, as some have found out.

trust me, i get no joy (maybe a little) out of banning people. i find it much more enticing when things can be settled in a cordial fashion. trust me, i have had beef with everybody (or rather i was taken to task) on this forum, especially when i was new (huppo, hades, mr rich, tunedlow, etc) and have had matches with members when they were new (klaxon, squarewave, plenty of others, etc) but we all settled things in a friendly fashion. as a matter of fact, i would consider these people i have settled things with to be some of my most valued VSE cronies.

so, if you want to talk about a synth do it in general
if you need help with midi/repairs/other more direct stuff post i help
SEARCH before you post
talk about music goes in Off topic
sounds post synth go in sound production

and no bitching :wink:

i am going to be out of a town a bit. i do have somebody i trust covering my shift with my username. dont pm them with bitchiness please, simply do as they ask and be nice and think about the forum.

and yes, i know this goes in OT, but i figure more people will see it here
;)

please take care of yourselves and each other,
matt
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:25 am

Will we be allowed to ask questions about certain acts of moderation if we do so by PM and in a respectful fashion?
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

King Julien

Post by King Julien » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:30 am

Thanks Tallow, I appreciate what you're doing here.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:31 am

sacredcow wrote:Will we be allowed to ask questions about certain acts of moderation if we do so by PM and in a respectful fashion?
good lord, are you always on?

follow the rules and it wont be an issue. we arent faceless authority figures, just people wanting the best for this forum. how we think what might work best might be different from what you think. all you can really do is sit back and enjoy the ride. relax, you will live longer. let us worry about all the c**p.

the only time i have felt the need to 'moderate' you was when your relentlessly questioned the moderating going on. you dont really stand out as breaking rules, just as a cocky teenager (which we all were). learn to pick your battles though. what some old weird guys do behind the scenes on a synth forum isnt one worth getting worked up over it. h**l, i dont even worry about it.

in short, try not to.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:33 am

I'd like to complain that my tummy is not velocity sensitive. :(

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:36 am

Pighood wrote:I'd like to complain that my tummy is not velocity sensitive. :(
i am sure it is, try spitting in a strange biker's face. ;)

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 am

Depends on what's being spit, yes.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: No more complaining

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 am

tallowwaters wrote:okay nerds,
bwahahahahaha
that's all you had to say hahahaha

effffff yes, tallow...effing-mother-effing-yes
:cheers:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:46 am

Can we at least be disrespectful to Pighood?

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 am

First....is it just me...or has the forum been revamped?

Second, and I hope this isn't viewed as questioning a mod and worthy of an immediate ban, but I think the 1 strike and you're out thing might be a bit harsh.
Only reason I say that is well, due to various personalities, I could easily imagine someone getting off base by accident. Very well could be someone that isn't new to the forum at that. Now in the event that such a hypothetical person were just given a warning of "hey, see, what you're doing now is considered out of line and here's why", the person very well might be willing to simply readjust their actions/future actions. (the why being an important part so they understand what made up their wrong doing)

I dunno, like I said, hopefully this statement isn't in the framework of me being up for banning. Just thought I'd voice that I thought the one strike angle to be a bit steep.

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:27 am

Amen.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:20 am

The warning system won't work. As soon as certain people get told they are acting out of line, they start flaming the board with censorship rants. The kind of people that a one strike your out policy would be applicable for are those very same. Generally the same kind of people that whine and b***h a lot.

99% of the time the only people who ever cause problems are those that whine and b***h about everything they can (in real life and the internet).

MrSoundStrange

Post by MrSoundStrange » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Due to recent events, and the fact that i seem to be the only moderator left, a new rule is implimented.

No bitching about vse, the mods, the admin, or any of that. it will now result in an instant ban. instant.

I can assure you that most all of us have the same goal - we want this to be a good place to discuss, learn, etc. but I have honestly had it with the impotent pissing and moaning that goes on here.

This might seem drastic to those of you that feel a little more entitled than the rest, but try it - next time something gets your panties in a wad - keep quiet. Modding this huge place is a chore for those of us that do it, and i certainly dont mind doing it, but i wont deal with disrespect. i dont put up with it in my class room, my personal life, and i certainly wont deal with from a long distance tough guy hiding behind a username.

make a concerted effort to post things in the right place. dont post in general because it is high traffic. actively flaunting these rules (a genuine mistake is a different story) will result in banning as well, as some have found out.

trust me, i get no joy (maybe a little) out of banning people. i find it much more enticing when things can be settled in a cordial fashion. trust me, i have had beef with everybody (or rather i was taken to task) on this forum, especially when i was new (huppo, hades, mr rich, tunedlow, etc) and have had matches with members when they were new (klaxon, squarewave, plenty of others, etc) but we all settled things in a friendly fashion. as a matter of fact, i would consider these people i have settled things with to be some of my most valued VSE cronies.

so, if you want to talk about a synth do it in general
if you need help with midi/repairs/other more direct stuff post i help
SEARCH before you post
talk about music goes in Off topic
sounds post synth go in sound production

and no bitching :wink:

i am going to be out of a town a bit. i do have somebody i trust covering my shift with my username. dont pm them with bitchiness please, simply do as they ask and be nice and think about the forum.

and yes, i know this goes in OT, but i figure more people will see it here
;)

please take care of yourselves and each other,
matt

First: thank you very much to be there and keep this forum alive, it is most apreciated.
Second: its you decision to fix the rules, anyone not happy can start his own "better" forum. So you drastic measures will surely have their reasons.
Another way of dealing with it could be to replace the notion of newbe/senior member etc by: appreciated member/tolerated/warned/out.
But anyway, it's your decision and it will be respected and understood.

I just hope that my remark asking a mod to stay polite did not make that mod unhappy, if it did, i sincerely appologize for it.

If there is anyway i can help the forum , let me know.

THANKS FOR BEING BACK ONLINE!

Tim

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:52 pm

mr soundstrange - i dont maintain the board, i just moderate. if you want to thank the person that keeps it alive donate some paypalola via the front page. (i was the mod you asked to be polite)

i am simply doing this because this is Mr VSE's house. he keeps it up, he doesnt have to, and whining and complaining are simply no way to show gratitude. as is said ad nauseum - VSE is a priviledge, not a right.

it isnt really one strike. i tend to let people know when they are being douchebags. :wink:

anyhow, sorry for resurrecting this.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:18 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
bwahahahahaha
that's all you had to say hahahaha

effffff yes, tallow...effing-mother-effing-yes
:cheers:
O ya, I didn't see it til you said it. Very good :)