Moog LP VS Moog Voyager RME: I bought...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Moog LP VS Moog Voyager RME: I bought...

Post by mao » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:46 pm

... finally I bought it.

... I found a new Moog Voyager RME v3.3 in a store at a special price. It was about 500 euros more than a LP (LP=1350 euro vs RME=1850) so...

I think that the LP is not a Voyager minus an osc... it's a quite a lot less than that.

The LP is well done nothing to say, but after 30 minutes of programming I felt tired of pressing this and this and so on... the RME has everything there (well not everything...). I would like to see in a near future a LP rack mount edition with some more knobs.

The sound: the LP sounds more aggressive to me (more modern), I prefer the juicy of the voyager... but this is MY point of view. The third OSC gives me more pleasure than not having it and "noise" is there without buying extra HW.

The RME double filter is awesome. The LP/LP is wonderful and the filter spacing gives really something new. Using the LP/HP changes the sound to be more Korg MS alike. It's like having two synth.
To overload the RME is not like pressing a button like the LP, you have to bridge the audio out with the audio in... well 5 seconds to do it.

7 banks of 128 sounds are great. Stereo Output is a great thing. Glowing panel make me smile like an idiot.

I'm really on heaven. For everybody choosing between the LP and the RME I kindly suggest to wait a bit to save money and buy the big brother.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:04 pm

I was going to get a Voyager, but I also was considering an Andromeda A6 or a Doepfer A100 basic system. In the end I chose the dark side and got the Doepfer.

If I get more cash, I'll definitely get a Voyager. Tried it in a shop in London and I love the smooth sound of it.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:44 pm

not sure what the point is in comparing the two.

To me it seems like comparing a Multimoog to a Minimoog

They're just two different things that are both great synths. Some people really do require that much hands on control and others do.

Personally I like both, but in the end I decided on the LP Stage Edition (yes, I could actually have afforded either or both...hmmm...stupid of me to end up buying a Rickenbacker bass and a Korg Triton Le instead of both of the new Moogs?)

The deciding factor for me for the LP Stage edition was the fact that it was in fact cheaper and the self callibrating oscillators were a huge thing for me as I have a fear of anything analog without some means of digital control or tuning.

Although I will definetly be the first to admit that the 3rd oscillator makes a huge difference in the sound. I just would be pissed if in 20 or 30 years it was detuned as h**l.

Personally I'm very satisfied with my Moog LP SE. Worth every penny and it does exactly what I need it to...

Now if only the same could be said for my new Boss drum machine :\
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:50 pm

Sadly in 20-30 years time, it will go out of tune. Components get old.

Don't worry, calibrating them shouldn't be a pain in the arse.. unless you're talking about your typical analogue polysynth. D:

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Sadly in 20-30 years I'll be out of tune too... :roll:

my thread was not to say this is better than that. I'm not the only one who was choosing between LP to RME. So if this can be useful to someone... well I'll be happy.

btw... Letting the Andromeda do some ethereal vintage strings and "leading" with the voyager is pure heaven...

but you know that... :D

miket156

LP or Moog Voyager.............

Post by miket156 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 pm

The LP isn't quite enough synth. However, if you are after that Moog sound at a low price, there it is.

I always dismissed the Voyager because of the cost. I've seen one close up recently and its pretty impressive looking, and larger than I thought. Very well built. But still, its really a mono synth. I always look at what an instrument adds to my sonic palette and how much it takes out of my wallet. So, no Voyager. However, if I HAD the money, I'd probably buy one anyway. :?

Mike T.

mao

Post by mao » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Well miket156 I understand your point of view. Imho the best price/sounds ratio is the Alesis Andromeda. It surprise me everyday. It's sound palette is so wide... really impressive.

But I always loved the moog sound... and well.. now it's here.

I played some A6+Voyager leads together... wow... these two synth stay well together... impressive...

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:14 pm

Mao:

Yep, can't beat then sound, on the Andy OR the Voyager. If I had money, I'd have both. But I don't. :cry:

Congrats on your new purchase!

Mike

sequence

Re: Moog LP VS Moog Voyager RME: I bought...

Post by sequence » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:25 am

mao wrote:I think that the LP is not a Voyager minus an osc... it's a quite a lot less than that.

The LP is well done nothing to say, but after 30 minutes of programming I felt tired of pressing this and this and so on... the RME has everything there (well not everything...). I would like to see in a near future a LP rack mount edition with some more knobs.

The sound: the LP sounds more aggressive to me (more modern), I prefer the juicy of the voyager... but this is MY point of view. The third OSC gives me more pleasure than not having it and "noise" is there without buying extra HW.

The RME double filter is awesome. The LP/LP is wonderful and the filter spacing gives really something new. Using the LP/HP changes the sound to be more Korg MS alike. It's like having two synth.
To overload the RME is not like pressing a button like the LP, you have to bridge the audio out with the audio in... well 5 seconds to do it.

7 banks of 128 sounds are great. Stereo Output is a great thing. Glowing panel make me smile like an idiot.

I'm really on heaven. For everybody choosing between the LP and the RME I kindly suggest to wait a bit to save money and buy the big brother.
Jeez what a b***h-post this is. I find my LP SE w/a few MoogerFoogers connected (CP-251, Murf, Delay) and driven by my Mobius to be one awesome machine. Like another poster, I really dont see the sense in this one :roll:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 am

I agree, Sequence. Many people forget that the Phatty has CV inputs which opens up quite a few options. (Either they forget or have no experience with CV.) Add an expression pedal or a Mooger with CV outs and the LP takes off.

I have both a Voyager and a Phatty. They are both wonderful instruments, and together with a VX351, the two produce some wild and useable music.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 am

I think the LP is a lot of synth. I have a Stage Edition and also a Voyager and I find that the LP is taking over for most of my bass duties. The bite and low-end are incredible.

Here's a track I started yesterday; it's still very much in progress but the synth is all Little Phatty except for one short motif on the Voyager.

Somasen: Concrete-Breaking Bass Power v1

Mao, congratulations on the Voyager - there's no question it is capable of much deeper, richer synthesis than the Phatty and it's an incredibly expressive instrument. I wouldn't give up either of them.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

mao

Post by mao » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:39 am

Sorry, there are a bit of misunderstanding here.

I never said the LP is sh@t. I was in the shop to buy it. BUT for 500 more euros I find a new Voyager RME. I thought that the LP + CPXXX + VXxxx + moogerfooger and so on is much more than 500 euros. The Voyager has everything inside and all the knobs I need. And I really like the less aggressive side of the Voyager (well it seems to me aggressive enough!!!).

That's all...

try to sum the price of every piece you need to give to the LP the same feaure of the voyager RME... Imho it seems more than standard Voyager RME price.

But, again, I love the LP... It's a complete bass&lead synth nothing to say...

If the voyager was not there.... now I was simply playing the LP...

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:48 am

that's OK I was just saying that comparing 2 dif synths w/different features at different price points--almost twice as much by the same mfg--is not really valid. That's like comparing an MEK to a PEK. :lol:

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:04 am

Naw, I think it's a valid post - there are lots of folks who want a new moog and these two are the options. True, they're very different, but I've seen lots of posts where people are trying to decide between the two.

If I couldn't get access to play these two I'd want all the info I could get. I played the LP and loved the sound but didn't like the interface. Most people don't mind it, but if I were going to get one and not have the chance to play it first (many don't have that option), I'd want to hear all reviews of it.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:16 am

I think the RME Voyager would compliment a LP quite nicely