Moog LP VS Moog Voyager RME: I bought...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pix

Post by pix » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:32 am

Amos wrote:I think the LP is a lot of synth. I have a Stage Edition and also a Voyager and I find that the LP is taking over for most of my bass duties. The bite and low-end are incredible.

Here's a track I started yesterday; it's still very much in progress but the synth is all Little Phatty except for one short motif on the Voyager.

Somasen: Concrete-Breaking Bass Power v1

Mao, congratulations on the Voyager - there's no question it is capable of much deeper, richer synthesis than the Phatty and it's an incredibly expressive instrument. I wouldn't give up either of them.
liked the track a lot Amos!

I'm enjoying the LP too. I think the voyager and the LP end up being quite different synths. Like the difference between a sound machine and a tone machine (does it make any sense? :D)

with the voyager I ended up building articulate patches with lots of modulations most of the times. OTOH the LP feels like a effin heavy metal guitar. It's my solo instrument and I spend a lot of times exploring the subtleties of small changes in waveforms or small PWM etc. the overdrive really gives it another edge that in a way affect how I interact with it and what kind of sounds i end up exploring.

I've been considering getting an external filter for it though (sherman maybe) specially for HP and BP sounds. If this combo works the way I think it will I'll be extremely happy with it and probably wouldn't trade it for a voyager.

I'd love to have dedicated knobs though.

and also Amos, don't know if it's possible for you to put pressure on the big guys there at HQ (and sorry to bug you with this) but a retrigable LFO with note on would open a lot of doors for bass sounds. phase start would be cool too ;).

is that in the works for a future OS release?

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:06 pm

I thought this thread could be of some interest for who likes me have to choose between the two. Before my purchase I googled everything for LP vs Voyager, looked at forum and so on... I found only here and there some reviews saying that the LP sounds like the voyager because it's using the same component and so on... Are we sure of this?

So I thought... well it costs less, it sounds the same... let's buy it... BUT after listening to it something alert me that it was not so similar. I couldn't find nothing helping me on my choose.

Is there any true/unbiased comparison between the two ?

And try to compare the price of a brand new LP and a 2nd hand Voyager RME... they're really close...

So if you find a 2nd hand Voyager RME next to an LP AT THE SAME PRICE what do you do?

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm

i own both the lp and the voyager. both have the moog character but they are very different in sound. the voyager is more like a the minimoog in terms of sound but a little smoother. its very hifi with a very smooth and warm bass end and sizzling highs. the midrange is more setback.

the lp has a very heavy mid and bass range and a more raw sound in general . its top end is not as bright as the voyager but somehow its more cutting and edgey.its sound is tougher and more dirty, obviously even moreso when the overload control is being used. its bass is more powerful in the lower mid area than the voyager, whereas the voyagers sub tones are unbeatable.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree with Goldphinga's observations. They are both share a Mooginess but have their own sonic characters. It's not like the difference between a Micron and Ion or a Q and MicroQ or a MS2000 and a MicroKorg.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:35 pm

it's like the difference between a MiniMoog and a Prodigy right?

Amos, nice beats... love the hi-hat sounds.. LP right?

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:08 pm

sequence wrote:I think the RME Voyager would compliment a LP quite nicely
Ah, good idea! I like the way you think :D
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

sequence

Post by sequence » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:05 am

mao wrote: So if you find a 2nd hand Voyager RME next to an LP AT THE SAME PRICE what do you do?
Same price? I only paid $999.98 for my LP SE new. :wink: So yeah my previous post :D

Oh and the LP is the most musical synth Ive ever owned. Its capabilities are endless. Thanks, Bob =D>
twentyfirst century fizMO man

pix

Post by pix » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:26 am

carbon111 wrote:
sequence wrote:I think the RME Voyager would compliment a LP quite nicely
Ah, good idea! I like the way you think :D
good fun!

:lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 am

Thing is, the people who own either one of these synths will defend their synth with tooth and claw. It's just how it works.
So there will always be some kind of "hah your opinions are stupid, MY lp is perfect" arguments in a thread that compares the two.

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:41 pm

Bitexion wrote:Thing is, the people who own either one of these synths will defend their synth with tooth and claw. It's just how it works.
So there will always be some kind of "hah your opinions are stupid, MY lp is perfect" arguments in a thread that compares the two.
i wouldn't go that far. i bought my lp about five months ago, pretty much only because i couldn't afford a voyager (or at least, i told myself i couldn't afford a voyager). honestly, i'd rather have a voyager.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:01 pm

And honestly, I wish my Voyager had an overdrive like the LP!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Yeah, the LP overdrive is more like a fat distortion thingie, sounds lovely on any sound. I played with an LP for 2 hours in a store some time ago. Loved every minute of it. I've tried Voyagers a few times too, but found the panel confusing and ended up browsing presets and not being too impressed.
It took me 5 minutes to get used to the LP interface, reset a factory sound to a single oscillator and went wild from there.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:05 pm

tunedLow

It's so difficoult to connect your voyager audio out to audio in and pump up the external knob on your voyager mixer section?

That's overload. And you have the same red led.

On the LP is simply bridged inside.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:06 am

tunedLow wrote:And honestly, I wish my Voyager had an overdrive like the LP!
Touche! :lol: :lol: :lol:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:18 am

mao wrote:tunedLow

It's so difficoult to connect your voyager audio out to audio in and pump up the external knob on your voyager mixer section?

That's overload. And you have the same red led.

On the LP is simply bridged inside.
Doesn't sound the same. Even when I run it through a moogerfooger lpf it's not that tight aggressive sound the LP can do.