Yamaha Cs5 ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alphacode

Yamaha Cs5 ?

Post by Alphacode » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 am

How much for a Cs5 ? A guy is asking i think a ridiculous 400euro for it ! ( i got a Cs -15 briefly for 480eur )
Never had the lower models though..
Is it worth buying ,and if so for how much ? 100 - 150eur ?

Thanks

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:28 pm

150-250 Euros is closer to the going rate.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:18 pm

The problem with the CS-5 is that it's better to just hold out and get a CS-10... since they usually go for just as much ... sometimes cheaper..

I'd take the Jen SX1000 over both ;)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Oh, I don't know - the 5 is great sounding and simple to use. Unless you really want a second ADSR, you're not missing much. I paid just short of a hundred quid for mine, and it's definitely worth that, if not more, but 400 Euros is a bit steep. A local shop was selling one for £250 (about, what, 370 euros?) but I wouldn't go that high. My CS-15 cost about that, excluding shipping.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 am

CS-5 for €400? That would be me :) So I'd better drop the price then. Make me an offer. And not €150, that's a joke, in fairness like!

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:10 pm

madtheory wrote:CS-5 for €400? That would be me :) So I'd better drop the price then. Make me an offer. And not €150, that's a joke, in fairness like!
Well hello then , tell me what is exactely a Kenton Cv Filter input , As far as i know the Cs5 have already a cv in / out and Vcf input ????

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:12 pm

With pleasure!

As standard the CS-5 has Hz/ V CV i/o, trigger i/o an external audio input and of course an audio output. The Kenton socket kit gives an additional CV input for the filter cutoff control on the VCF. With a Pro Solo (or similar) this makes the CS-5 a much more expressive instrument to play, because you can assign anything to the VCF. I like to use either velocity or the assignable wheel/ foot pedal on my Casio VZ-1 keyboard. The extra LFO on the Pro Solo gives another mod source for pitch and filter cutoff, so you can use the Yamaha's LFO separately for PWM and VCA mod. Or whatever you like! So it's more than just a MIDI-CV, it also expands the synthesis options.

Yamaha have an extensive manual library, so you can ascertain the spec of everything they've ever made using that. Kenton also list all of their socket kits on their website.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Oh ok ,i saw you asked 300 ,hmm still too much , get back to me when it's not sold for a while ...

Good luck anyway .

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:22 pm

That's about $400 US right? It's not too far off ... I'd say that a completely working model would go for between $300-350 these days. Anything analog, mono, with a keyboard is going for over $300 once shipped these days... even the Yamaha CS01.

On ebay, two CS-5's with dead keys went for about $220-250 shipped.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Alphacode wrote:Oh ok ,i saw you asked 300 ,hmm still too much , get back to me when it's not sold for a while ...

Good luck anyway .
Thanks, but it's going on ebay if I don't sell it via other means first. It's a reasonable price given that it is in excellent condition.